.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 30th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Argitoth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Auto-routing alternatives - easy solution?

yeah, but maybe not the developers who have to program it.
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

iRFNA is on a distinguished road

As far as patches go, that's incredibly minor. It's as much copy and pasting as it is typing, and little enough of either. Plus this is a somewhat glaring flaw in an otherwise great game that keeps me (I'm not sure about others) from playing it.
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:39 AM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Auto-routing alternatives

Quote:
thejeff said:
You also don't always know when you have a hope of retreat. If you had a province at the start of the turn, then lost it, you could expect an orderly retreat, but have no where to go.
Yeah, that could be an issue.

I was figuring it based on the current status--when you get to the board edge (the province edge) you find there's noplace to go and stop.

On the other hand, you could take a province next to a surrounded castle.

Quote:
The "morale might recover" suggestion did make me think of something that's annoyed me for a while. Priests casting sermon of courage on routing troops. Since there's no way to unrout (other than berserk?), this is pointless and shouldn't happen. Preferably, routing troops who have their morale magically boosted should get a new check to return to battle.
That's how I see it, also. I would also improve it over time no matter what--maybe they come to their senses before reaching the board edge.
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:46 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Ironhawk said:
Quote:
Loren said:
I've had one game with multiple problems with the auto-route. The culprit was an AI monolith. All his magic was long gone, all he could do was stand there. Despite that he took back his capital from a strong PD force--*defender* auto-route. I then had multiple failures retaking it from him. IIRC I had to buff my army so they could do damage fast enough to kill him in 50 turns and I had to leave an army there to keep killing him until the battlefield overload bug ended the game.
Yes but Loren you are describing here a battle which *should* be decided by auto-rout. I mean you stated yourself that your army couldnt hurt the monolith. So what sense is there to continue the battle? Just auto-rout, reconfigure your army with the appropriate stuff so that the battle will actually come to completion, and then attack again.
No. My army *COULD* hurt the monolith. The problem was that killing it before the auto-rout was hard. PD (my usual answer to pretenders coming back over and over) simply couldn't do it and my good units could only do it when buffed.
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:47 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
iRFNA said:
As far as patches go, that's incredibly minor. It's as much copy and pasting as it is typing, and little enough of either. Plus this is a somewhat glaring flaw in an otherwise great game that keeps me (I'm not sure about others) from playing it.
Anything that affects data format isn't trivial.
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

kasnavada is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yep, faster (variable speed) fast-forwarding (and the ability to rewind) would be very nice features.

The topic is 'Auto-routing alternatives'. I'm not off topic. But thanks for the respect, Booyakasha.
Hum, saying that you don't want the limit to increase because you want to watch replay (when changes to the replay system would solve this problem far better) isn't off topic ?

For me it's the same as saying that the turn limit is a balance mechanism for SC killing. It's off topic because it's not meant to be used that way. Wasn't the turn limit meant to avoid endless battles and long battles on slow computers ? This "balance" is nothing but an unwanted by-product of this limitation, and it's the same about your replay.

Hum, well... if you really think that, it's your thread after all.
* Darwi Odrade