.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 1st, 2008, 01:17 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Devourer of Souls with +10 fear keeps retreati

I think you'll find your answer from the following questions on why the Devourer is retreating.

=====================

How many of your units on the battlefield at the start of battle?

How many of your units remaining when the Devourer retreats?

Old May 1st, 2008, 01:25 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Rytek said:
Well, it is a unit that needs to have a commander. Just make it a commander who can beserk it.
Ammit has been made a commander in some pretty recent patch, so he can attack on his own.
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:36 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Argitoth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NTJedi said:
I think you'll find your answer from the following questions on why the Devourer is retreating.

=====================

How many of your units on the battlefield at the start of battle?

How many of your units remaining when the Devourer retreats?

None of that matters. Devourer of souls shouldn't be a chicken, he's a +10 fear unit. He should have 30 morale. He should be a virtually unbreakable unit.
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:13 AM

Sergeant

Tichy is on a distinguished road

I think the point is that a commander auto-routs when there are no troops left. If you want to use him as a thug or SC, don't bring any non-commander troops with him.
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:22 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

No, armies and commanders auto-route when the total HP of the army and commanders is reduced below 25% of the initial total HP value.

Units summoned during the battle are not included in the calculation.

Having all the non-commander units die does not cause auto-route unless the total HP of those units (plus commander HP loss) is 75% of the initial HP total.

I'm not sure exactly what the conditions are for causing a morale check in commanders. But every turn the Devourer is taking significant damage, or is next to a fear-causing unit, that will probably cause it to make a morale check.

The Devourer is sacred, so you should try bringing along a priest to bless it if you aren't already. Blessed units get a +2 morale bonus. Personally I think the Devourer is pretty fragile, and also not exactly cheap, so it's better off fighting as part of an army. Unless you've got Kurgi, I'd send a Devourer out solo with Kurgi. You could also throw a Lycanthrope ammy on the Devourer, since you don't need it to cast spells.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:45 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Argitoth is on a distinguished road

Yes, blessing is a good idea. But my devourer of souls is casting plenty of spells, quickness, fireshield, invulnerability, and getting ethereal, luck, and regen spells cast on it by my shaman. With a 1-hit kill attack (he has two rings that give more attack), he is a force to be rekoned with. However, I'd never put him alone.

I shouldn't have to put my devourer of souls alone. I want to use him in an army. He shouldn't be routing like this. He's taking virtually no damage. He's just routing because his morale goes down as units die....

oh wait... do elemental royalty retreat if the army is retreating? If that's the case then there's no reason why devourer of souls shouldn't at least have 30 moral just like the rest of the great SCs in this game.
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:22 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

I just looked at the image above ... wow, did you spend 400 gems empowering your Devourer? You must be rich!

I didn't realize you had an accompanying army. I agree that's the best way for the devourer to be used. I still manage to get mine killed before it retreats though . When your army takes 50% HP casualties, that causes a morale check every combat turn. If you've got something big and not-so-useful, like a feebleminded Monstrum, you could have it Guard Commander something at the back of your army, to keep your HP totals up.

But aren't you worried your Devourer is going to get Soul Slayed or Petrified? That's an awful lot of gems invested in that MR18 unit. And he's got enough HP that he's probably going to be targeted with whatever nasty spells are flying about.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
vfb said:
I just looked at the image above ... wow, did you spend 400 gems empowering your Devourer? You must be rich!

I didn't realize you had an accompanying army. I agree that's the best way for the devourer to be used. I still manage to get mine killed before it retreats though . When your army takes 50% HP casualties, that causes a morale check every combat turn. If you've got something big and not-so-useful, like a feebleminded Monstrum, you could have it Guard Commander something at the back of your army, to keep your HP totals up.

But aren't you worried your Devourer is going to get Soul Slayed or Petrified? That's an awful lot of gems invested in that MR18 unit. And he's got enough HP that he's probably going to be targeted with whatever nasty spells are flying about.
Actually, Devourer of Souls is unique, so I think he'd come back with whatever empowerments you gave him... And he's limited to just C'tis, so others can't easily get him, either. It's an interesting idea, if it works.
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:41 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

30 morale seems fair. Doesn't seem like that big an issue to me though.
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:52 AM

wrong thread