.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Click-based enemy spotting (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=52270)

Imp June 20th, 2019 01:18 AM

Re: Click-based enemy spotting

This issue has already been addressed to a degree, it’s linked to turning a unit for the same effect which now has the option to create reaction fire and would probably need a complete recode to improve it further.
Borderline visible units may turn up on occasion but it’s no big issue it’s a 3 minute turn.
I assume you had not used the procedure above and fired at the area near the unit causing the situation to change.
This I am guessing is what most of us do.
If not and it’s a game mechanic you wish to exploit feel free, I for one could not be bothered with it and will continue trying to make units visible using the above method.

Imp June 20th, 2019 02:59 AM

Most of us I am guessing use the above.
This has been addressed to a large degree, turning a unit did the same thing so you now have the option to make it cause op fire.
How often does it happen without the situation changing?
By that I mean change in the dust cloud morale for either unit, remember morale can change for a lot of factors.
If the sighting unit just saw an enemy tank go bang for example not just suppression.

In the odd case it happens I would guess the dust cloud calculation rounded down instead of up and the unit was borderline on being visible anyway.
Big picture it’s a 3 minute turn they finally noticed something, it’s another random event they are everywhere in this game.

As to trying to exploit it by clicking on my units dream on I have better things to do the updates to this game have allowed me to play faster due to the info available, I could go play slot machines if random clicking was my thing.

anlubue June 20th, 2019 06:30 AM

I think similar about it. (But not so thorough.) Especially the unpredictable factor in the game, is a special thrill and with everything that possibly results from it I can cope well.

Anton June 22nd, 2019 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 845521)
The "problem" is not that clicking on that C1 unit reveals the "hidden" Chinese unit. It's that the "hidden" Chinese unit is not in fact "hidden" it's in a twilight zone grey area between seen and unseen.

Just for the record. If this grey area is a hex shown partially in the dark, then attached is an example with a hex that seems fully visible (29,48). Click on the Japanese unit T0 to reveal a squad of enemy infantry at that location and another at (32,51).

Anton June 22nd, 2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigeena (Post 845543)
TBH, this is very micro-managing. Usually, if I get return fire and I'm unable to spot with my units. I'll fire some rounds from other units in the vicinity of the suspected hidden unit. Once pinned, they will usually show up.

Area-fire with something heavier than rifles, right?
Quote:

Originally Posted by sigeena (Post 845543)
And the usual suspects are the small size 0 teams. So I'm not too worried in the greater scheme of the battle itself.

In my experience, it is often the regular infantry of the enemy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imp
This issue has already been addressed to a degree, it’s linked to turning a unit for the same effect which now has the option to create reaction fire and would probably need a complete recode to improve it further.

The turning of a unit is an in-game event, which of course may trigger reaction fire and change visibility. That it takes zero MPs is a minor philosophical issue to which I do not object at all. The selection of a unit, on the other hand, is not an in-game event but a user-interface event. It should not affect the state of the game world.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imp
Borderline visible units may turn up on occasion but it’s no big issue it’s a 3 minute turn.

By the way, from the rate-of-travel I estimate the temporal scale as one minute per half-turn, because if a unit travels a distance of 16 hexes its speed is 30 mph, which yields:
Code:

16*50/(30*1609)*60*60 = 59.56 (sec)
If units are considered stationary during the enemy half-turn, then the full-turn scale is two minutes, but you control your forces only half this time.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imp
I assume you had not used the procedure above and fired at the area near the unit causing the situation to change.
This I am guessing is what most of us do.
If not and it’s a game mechanic you wish to exploit feel free, I for one could not be bothered with it and will continue trying to make units visible using the above method.

You mean turning the unit around? No, I do use it, but, as I said above, it is perfectly OK to spot another unit by turning, because that is a physical action that can reveal your unit and even attract reaction fire. This interesting game mechanic has nothing to do with the behavior I report in this thread.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imp
As to trying to exploit it by clicking on my units dream on I have better things to do the updates to this game have allowed me to play faster due to the info available, I could go play slot machines if random clicking was my thing.

Didn't you say you were turning your units around to spot more enemies? If so, that requires clicking, so you already exploit click-based spotting. And that clicking is not random it all, but a very methodical procedure to update the vision of a unit.

scorpio_rocks June 22nd, 2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton (Post 845566)
Didn't you say you were turning your units around to spot more enemies? If so, that requires clicking, so you already exploit click-based spotting. And that clicking is not random it all, but a very methodical procedure to update the vision of a unit.

Not Necessarily - I almost never click on my units (I use N(ext) and P(revious) to select units)

Anton June 22nd, 2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks (Post 845567)
Not Necessarily - I almost never click on my units (I use N(ext) and P(revious) to select units)

The N and P keyboard commands have the same effect as clicking.

zovs66 June 22nd, 2019 12:28 PM

N and P work just fine, it’s how we been playing this for 20 years. Seems most of your grips are just frustrated nit picking which really serve no purpose other than you seem to have an axe to grind.

From my experiences over the last 20 years what your complaining about is minutia that has very little if any effect on play..