.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Official Image Collection (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=4955)

Captain Kwok November 25th, 2002 08:14 AM

Re: Official Image Collection

This is just a nonsense post to claim the 500th for the ImageMod. See the post previous to this one for some appropriate imageMod input.

Suicide Junkie November 26th, 2002 04:30 PM

I'm surprised this hasn't generated some discussion...

How would we decide which images stay or go?
Can we justify forcing modders to go through 1000's of components updating their picture references?

Is there a better way to organize the Imagemod?

Gryphin November 26th, 2002 07:30 PM

About sorting and viewing 1000 images:
I'm sure there is a tallented programer among us that could create a program to view the components.
Perhaps a standard nomenclature and directory structure could be established and held to.
A folder for each of the standard types where files would include the initials of the artist in the name.
I know I'm missing a few parts to this idea. Anybody care to flesh it out?

Suicide Junkie November 26th, 2002 08:20 PM

I was referring to the modder who would be forced to examine each component in their mod, and see if the image it uses was moved.

What about subdividing the imagemod packs into themes, all being separate, small downloads?
The minis would be the "core" package, and there would be a host of portrait packages. Cubeworldpack, Hubblepack, CartoonPack, MiscPack etc.

That should reduce the download time, while leaving the images with the same numbers.

geoschmo November 26th, 2002 08:38 PM

I thought the whole point of the image mod was that once a spot was taken, it was held for good so that you always knew you didn't have to worry about redoing a mod based on a previous Version.

I like your idea SJ about packaging it as themepacks. If someone doesn't want all the bitmaps, that is one thing. But the image numbers already assigned should stay assigned.

Geoschmo

Captain Kwok November 26th, 2002 10:21 PM

I agree with the fact that re-organizing the ImageMod would cause some conflicts with modders and that is why I suggested it take place with the next patch, when most modders would update their products. If changes were made to the imageMod, perhaps a list of the changes could be provided so that the modders could easily "search & replace" the necessary info. For now unsupported mods, this might cause a few headaches though.

The original motivation behind my suggestion was to keep the ImageMod picture quality similiar to the game itself, and keep the size of the mod reasonable.

SJ's idea of themepacks might be a good remedy. If all picture IDs are kept the same through each image pack, it should work out Ok. For example.

I have the "Imaginary Mod" - it only uses component picture #s 500-600. Instead of downloading the entire Component Pack with component picture #s 300-1000, I could just download the "Imaginary Mod Pack" which would contain the 500-600 series comp pics and components.bmp for the mini images.

What do you think?

Phoenix-D November 26th, 2002 10:27 PM

"I agree with the fact that re-organizing the ImageMod would cause some conflicts with modders and that is why I suggested it take place with the next patch, when most modders would update their products."

I'd suggest leaving it alone. Any benifit from moving the images around isn't worth the loss of backwards compatablitiy. "Theme packs" are a possibility, but don't expect to see them on all the mirrors. Mine for example is already using up a lot of my web space. Speaking of which..I really should update it.

Phoenix-D

Fyron November 26th, 2002 10:56 PM

I don't like the theme pack idea. The image mod is fine as it is.

Captain Kwok November 26th, 2002 11:47 PM

True. The ImageMod doesn't really need to be fiddled with...I was just saying...that's all.

Atrocities November 27th, 2002 07:01 AM

Please do not change the image mod. Please.