.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Old question Issue (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=52579)

Karagin November 23rd, 2020 05:26 PM

Old question Issue

Why does the game default all units to the road hexes?

For example, I have Marder the I want to move 7 hexes to be behind a building 10 hexes away from the start point is a road hex. I click on the hex I want, and the unit moves instead to the damn road hex, and four shies of that, it's blown to king come by a T-72.

It is very annoying that the game will default a unit to the closest road hexes vs. where the player tells it to go. Is there a way to remove this default either as a toggle or out of the game altogether? Since the undo feature WON'T let you back up from a combat kill or if the unit has taken fire, it is very annoying to lose a unit to this when it was NOT the input given. And yes, I am sure I will get the "fog of war," etc..answer to why this happens, but it happens in far too many battles and scenarios to just be that.

Mobhack November 23rd, 2020 06:13 PM

Re: Old question Issue

Are you talking about the pathfinding algorithm here?

If so, if you give a unit a multi-hex move by clicking on a hex a lon way away, it will use the least-cost path. Roads and similar cost least MP so it will gravitate to them to get where you told it to go.

Therefore if terrain masking is important, it is best to go hex-by hex and do it yourself, not to rely on the pathfinging algorithm. I only rely on thta when in the rear or behind a hill from the enemy etc.

Karagin November 23rd, 2020 07:45 PM

I guess I am, moving OUT the line of fire to cover some how the program moved INTO the line of fire since as you said it defaulted to a the clear choice of a road that was NOT anywhere near where it needed to go.

I get the idea that roads are clear terrain and thus offer that, but the algorithm seems a bit screwy if it's going to always default to moving towards clear terrain. In this case the terrain was clear all the way to hex behind the building and yet again the unit went off on it's own path right into the path of fire I was moving it out of. And 7 hex move is not a looong path, not to me, long is 10 or more. And seeing how moving one or two had already cost me one Marder, why would I do that again?

DRG November 23rd, 2020 07:56 PM

The AI will always look for the easiest way between A and B and when you click multiple hexes away from where you are it will search for the fastest way to get there. If you don't want to be surprised only move 2-3 hexes at a time

Karagin November 23rd, 2020 10:04 PM

Did you miss the part about doing that, moving 2-3 cost me one IFV already? So logic would say un-*** the AO time now, which I did with the remaining one, and oh look the AI drove it RIGHT into gun sights of the T-72.

All I am asking is there a way to possibly have the AI NOT be so uhmm asinine in how it predicts paths? It is as if speed is not even calculated into how things get hit, whereas a fast-moving target is not something that is easy to hit.

Mobhack November 23rd, 2020 10:08 PM

Then do as I suggested - move one hex at a time, not multiples when which hex you choose is vital. The pathfinding algorithm only applies for requested moves >1 hex.

DRG November 23rd, 2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karagin (Post 849025)
Did you miss the part about doing that, moving 2-3 cost me one IFV already?

Yeah I guess I did because at no time before Post #5 did you mention anything about moving 2-3 hexes. You may think you did but you did not and regardless, Andy already told you when you have critical moves to only move one hex at a time.

FASTBOAT TOUGH November 24th, 2020 02:24 AM

I did that when I first started playing thinking it a "shortcut" to move my units from point A to B. It only took a couple of units lost to realize that wasn't a good idea.

Whenever I get the urge to do that for a variety of reasons, I think of water, that always seeks the path of least resistance. At that point I study the map and like the chess player I am, I look to see what's around me and across the board. Then my path of least resistance is the one that gets my unit(s) where I want them as safe as possible.

There is a time to be aggressive in this game once the battle is joined, however, I seek the "high ground" and ambush positions until that point. You gotta respect that LOS. ;)

"Patience is a virtue" when the enemy seeks to reduce your points by any means available.

Regards,
Pat
:capt:

Wdll November 24th, 2020 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karagin (Post 849020)
but it happens in far too many battles and scenarios to just be that.

Why do you keep doing it and expecting a different result?

Karagin November 24th, 2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH (Post 849028)

There is a time to be aggressive in this game once the battle is joined, however, I seek the "high ground" and ambush positions until that point. You gotta respect that LOS. ;)

"Patience is a virtue" when the enemy seeks to reduce your points by any means available.

Regards,
Pat
:capt:

See I was trying to get to a point where I could use the cover of buildings and the bloody game said hey let's move INTO the LOS of the T-72 even more vs doing what I plotted. It's annoying and frankly in my opinion SHOULD NOT be a default, but hey it is what it is.

Karagin November 24th, 2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdll (Post 849030)
Quote:

Because it shouldn't be happening, the default shouldn't be to the roads. 30 years in the military and we avoided roads if we could because they were easy to mine or interdict. 3 tours in Iraq proved that to be very true. Same for Afghanistan. Yet in this wargame, which yes I get is a game, it's the opposite, roads are the fastest way to to go, so off go the units. And it's easy to forget that the game does this because logically to me it makes no sense.

Aeraaa November 24th, 2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karagin (Post 849034)
Quote:

Quote:

Because it shouldn't be happening, the default shouldn't be to the roads. 30 years in the military and we avoided roads if we could because they were easy to mine or interdict. 3 tours in Iraq proved that to be very true. Same for Afghanistan. Yet in this wargame, which yes I get is a game, it's the opposite, roads are the fastest way to to go, so off go the units. And it's easy to forget that the game does this because logically to me it makes no sense.

Well then, think of it this way: why should every unit (especially green or poorly trained units) know to instinctively avoid the roads in a combat situation?

Karagin November 24th, 2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeraaa (Post 849035)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karagin (Post 849034)
Quote:

Well then, think of it this way: why should every unit (especially green or poorly trained units) know to instinctively avoid the roads in a combat situation?

Define green units? Even untested units have the training and the doctrine is taught to them. Now if your idea of green is the militia or "rebel" groups, then that could be a case for the default, but why would that be for "First or Second" world militaries that would train to avoid areas that would have then under the LOS of their enemies?

Suhiir November 24th, 2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karagin (Post 849036)
Define green units? Even untested units have the training and the doctrine is taught to them. Now if your idea of green is the militia or "rebel" groups, then that could be a case for the default, but why would that be for "First or Second" world militaries that would train to avoid areas that would have then under the LOS of their enemies?

Even 1st world militaries have to teach this, and even then the lesson doesn't always sink in until some incident drives it home. Green troops do the dumbest things. Why 75ish % of combat casualties are green troops/replacements.

Additionally there are time/places where you have to follow a road.

zovs66 November 24th, 2020 08:08 PM

It’s a war game, not a simulation. You need to account for that and adjust and only move the unit one or two hexes at a time.

It’s very trivial and a non-issue.

Karagin November 24th, 2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zovs66 (Post 849039)
It’s a war game, not a simulation. You need to account for that and adjust and only move the unit one or two hexes at a time.

It’s very trivial and a non-issue.

Trivial is wanting to double the ranges, or adding more units to OOB totals. But I get it, for some things are great, for others they aren't. And if a two hex movement thing works hey why worry about the issue cause there is a work around. So forget I brought it up.

DRG November 25th, 2020 09:06 AM

Let's put it this way.....no matter what we do somebody will think a different way is better and for them it might be.... and for others maybe no so much.

We *could* code the game so roads are not considered in a human move and that might make you happy but not someone who is trying to move a convoy of units down a winding road behind the lines and they keep wandering into the weeds.

The "move only one hex at a time in critical situations" has been SOP for (literally) a generation of SP players. In less critical moves you can usually get away with 2-3 at a time but if you suspect you might be observed and could come under fire moving one hex at a time is no different than if you were moving through a forest in RL knowing an ambush is possible. You would not expose yourself and move for an extended amount of time.....same with the game

A further point related to this is map-making.... if you are trying to place a road exactly you DO NOT pick a point far away from your starting point and expect the road to be placed the way you want it to be.( ESPECIALLY if it crosses a stream or river or swamp ) It has to be placed in short sections just as movement needs to be done...less critical placement can be done over greater distances, critical placement had to be done one at a time the same as movement

Imp November 25th, 2020 10:55 PM

As it stands now you use long moves in back/safe areas to let the AI find the shortest route for you.
Combat you go to 3-4 hexes or less if terrain is complex & you want a specific path.
Not only does this mean you can pick your path its a far safer way of detecting surprises like hidden units.

Moving in pairs a few hexes at a time can help to move them both a few hexes then when 1 takes fire the other unit might be in a position to detect the firer.

Also using the above for vehicles at least not entering the last hex (or2) till you have moved a few others can leave you some options in danger areas.

Now when the AI ignored the first couple of vehicles to pass by & opens up on the next you hopefully can move to hide or take a better position with those last MP.