.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   New map in works - Bayt Hanun (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=40503)

Marek_Tucan September 9th, 2008 12:45 AM

New map in works - Bayt Hanun

So... Finally got back to the map making business. This time leaving the Czech Republic and making use of some military topo maps of Israel I got my dirty little paws on :)

Map size: Largest possible, ie 160x200.
Location: North-Eastern edge of Gaza strip, roughlz in the center Bayt Hanun, will include further several Israeli border villages (Eretz, Yad Mordechai, Netiv Ha'asara) and part of Jibalia from the Gaza strip.

Map would be ideal for Quasam-hunting, as it includes most popular launch areas against city of Sderot.

Just started it yesterday but I have already the topmost strip of the map ready (ie a strip 23 hexes high and all map long). The maps are from 1980's, so less houses there, but intending to make an up-to-date version as well.

Will post a preview image today evening or tomorrow, when I have more.

iCaMpWiThAWP September 9th, 2008 08:10 PM

Re: New map in works - Bayt Hanun

Israeli-arab conflicts? my favorites :D

Marek_Tucan September 11th, 2008 07:04 AM

Sorry, didn't make it yesterday, preview coming this evening!

Marek_Tucan September 11th, 2008 02:37 PM

Okay, here it is. First draft. Village of Netiv Ha'asara and surroundings, to the south (down) there will be Erez checkpoint and then Gaza strip, to the East Erez village.

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/2...reenjg2.th.png

cbreedon September 14th, 2008 02:13 AM

looks great so far

Marek_Tucan September 16th, 2008 12:38 AM

After a bit of hiatus caused by change of monitor (or, rather, of change of table and not willing to manhandle the huge CRT back for just a day) got back to work yesterday, village Erez is ready as well as first parts of Jabbaniye outskirts, today I will make Erez bordercheckpoint/base and will cross the 50% threshold I expect.

iCaMpWiThAWP September 16th, 2008 08:28 PM

Are you going to make a scenario or only the map?

Marek_Tucan September 17th, 2008 01:25 AM

At first, only the map (both 1980s and actual, though if there is some volunteer willing to play with Google Earth and converting the map to current state of things I will gladly leave this to him ;)), then maybe some Quassam huntingt scenario.

iCaMpWiThAWP September 17th, 2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek_Tucan (Post 638817)
At first, only the map (both 1980s and actual, though if there is some volunteer willing to play with Google Earth and converting the map to current state of things I will gladly leave this to him ;)), then maybe some Quassam huntingt scenario.

Converting the map? you mean searching for that exact position?

Marek_Tucan September 17th, 2008 02:27 PM

Nope, I mean I am making the map for 1980's, whereas nowadays there are more buildings and so on. So after making the 1980's map it would be neccessary to alter it to today's state of terrain and inhabitation.

iCaMpWiThAWP September 18th, 2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek_Tucan (Post 638907)
Nope, I mean I am making the map for 1980's, whereas nowadays there are more buildings and so on. So after making the 1980's map it would be neccessary to alter it to today's state of terrain and inhabitation.

ahh, getting a newer map?

EJ September 18th, 2008 08:46 PM

Marek_Tucan,
I hope you make a scenario to go with this map. Maybe a fictionary WWIII scenario with NATO in a fight against Russia and China? It's looking outstanding so far....

Marek_Tucan September 27th, 2008 06:27 AM

Map advancing. Slowly, but I am getting at the bottom part. Another week or so, I have less time I thought I will have.

Marek_Tucan September 28th, 2008 04:12 PM

Okay, terrain is ready, basic road network is ready, but nothing more yet on the remaining part of the map - so I offer uncluttered terrain preview of South-Eastern edge, area between Sderot and Gaza Strip border. Numbers describe hill height, names in CAPITAL are towns, plus there is the only name of mountain I found so far for that area. Enjoy!

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/4...erezxf5.th.pnghttp://img388.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

reverend October 2nd, 2008 11:03 AM

Looking good! Can't wait to see the fully finished map.

Marek_Tucan October 8th, 2008 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hosanna! The map is ready.
Feel free to DL and tinker. Will be glad to be reported any bugs.

Screenshot of central part of the map.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3...mailrw2.th.png

Marek_Tucan October 11th, 2008 03:57 AM

Beginning works on 2008 variant. Sederot is fairly bigger now, there are more roads and fields, the forest on the ridge to the West of Bayt Hanun is gone and on the same ridge I will have to uild and then demolish a village. Also will have to add two large water reservoirs. Will report when I'm ready, so far I am just plotting new things into map.

Imp October 14th, 2008 11:38 AM

Well down loaded & had to comment, nice work looks great & its something a bit diffrent. Those LOS are going to be intresting to say the least. I am glad you went to the effort to produce a large map as it gives much more scope for use. By the way noticed building in area of hex 91,32 is rubbled, any particular reason. Thanks my scouting parties will be heading through the vineyards shortly
John

Marek_Tucan October 15th, 2008 03:15 AM

@rubbled building, there are some historical ruins, so that's it. On the 2008 variant, there will be an entire rubbled village (one of the abandoned settlements, on the ridge above Erez crossing).

reverend October 15th, 2008 07:04 AM

The thing I like most about large or extra large maps: Cut and paste a part of it in a new map when I want to play only a specific part of a battle with a smaller force. ;)

iCaMpWiThAWP October 15th, 2008 09:08 AM

Now we need someone to make a scenario :D

Double_Deuce October 15th, 2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP (Post 645819)
Now we need someone to make a scenario :D

A map that size could be broken up into smaller sections and a nice small company size campaign could be made as well.

Marek_Tucan October 17th, 2008 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2007/8 variant is ready! Enjoy! (also working on a scenario - quassam hunt, heavily reinforced mech company)

Here there be screenshot:
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/9...2008mz0.th.pnghttp://img378.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

Imp December 12th, 2008 08:54 AM

Hi Marek just wanted to say really good map, you have a bit of a talent.
Have you got plans for anymore in the pipeline or any previous work.
As a note I like the size as have tried playing on whole map both & cutting & pasting to play a smaller game on part of it.
Exelent stuff thanks

Marek_Tucan December 12th, 2008 09:26 AM

Well, maybe something is in the pipeline, I have several options though. So... This is as good place as any to ask The People(tm) what do you want ;)

a) period. Modern day or WW2?

b) location. I have good acces to: Czech Republic, Slovakia, Georgia (Caucasus, not USA ;)) and Israel+bits around it.

c) Size. 20x20, 40x40, 60x60, 100x100, 200x160, ;)

Of course, the bigger the map, the longer it takes ;)

Imp December 12th, 2008 12:24 PM

Hi Marek I would like Czech Republic or Slovakia possibly preferably modern day though I think the idea of doing an old & modern map as you did with Sederot is good even if one is a guestimate. I am thinking lets you build second faster.
Do prefer the bigger maps as far more flexible & can just use part of if desire though appreciate a lot more work.
Pushing my luck here but if you could find another intresting area & do 2 maps side to side gives many possibilities for a campaign as could quickly make a map combining the 2 & have a proper fight over an area. Would also make battles using better as could combine to get start lines for battle type you fancy.
Well if you don't ask :D
Quality is superb

Marek_Tucan December 12th, 2008 01:58 PM

Now come to think about it, what about another military trainin area? :)I have made one already (search for "Libava" in your maps folder), but there are more over here.

As for "new" and "old" map of the same area, check out "Petrzalka" in both MBT and WW2 ;)

Artaud January 4th, 2009 06:57 PM

For me:

a) Modern would be great.

b) Czech Republic or Slovakia.

c) Size: 20x20, 40x40, 60x60

I prefer smaller maps. I like to build scenarios that I can complete in a sitting or two.

Marek_Tucan January 7th, 2009 05:35 AM

By the way, tried to build a scenario, but I suck at it... So I encourage anyone willing to use this map, esp. as it is quite actual just now :)

DRG January 7th, 2009 08:42 AM

Marek

I could use this and any other map you've got for the next upgrade if you like. Contact me off the forum if you're interested

Don

Double_Deuce January 8th, 2009 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek_Tucan (Post 664731)
By the way, tried to build a scenario, but I suck at it... So I encourage anyone willing to use this map, esp. as it is quite actual just now :)

I might be able to block out some time to work something up BUT I need some help as requested in this new thread:

Israeli forces involved in Northern Gaza?

Also, I see there are 2 versions of the map. Which is the current?

Marek_Tucan January 8th, 2009 07:34 AM

Map 401 should be the more actual. If there is an expansive outskirt of Sderot and a highway, it's the new one :)

Double_Deuce January 8th, 2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek_Tucan (Post 665014)
Map 401 should be the more actual. If there is an expansive outskirt of Sderot and a highway, it's the new one :)

Good deal I'm trying to dig up more info and see what ideas take hold. Excellent map btw. ;)

Double_Deuce January 9th, 2009 02:25 AM

In case anyone is interested i have found the following;

Operation Cast Lead

Gaza Conflict: Timeline, Key Fatalities, and Updates