.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   What other games do you people play? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41939)

David E. Gervais January 12th, 2009 01:13 PM

What other games do you people play?

Hello, Atrocities's post about how time flies got me wondering what other games you people play? Myself I play both World of Warcraft and Anarchy Online. I poke into both of these every day.

Who knows, maybe we can meet in common games that we play.

Just had to post, Cheers! :)

Gandalf Parker January 12th, 2009 01:52 PM

Re: What other games do you people play?

I still play SEIV and Dominions 3 mostly.
I tried WoW for awhile, and AO. Also City of Heros, StarWars Galaxy, and Lord of the Rings Online. If I was going to go back and pay to play again it would probably be City of Heros or StarWars.

But for MMORPG I mostly play Ultima Online on the free servers. Not because its free, just because player run servers are so much better than official ones.

Kana January 12th, 2009 04:28 PM

Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty World at War, IL-2, Civ IV+Expansions, Navy Field, Combat Mission 1-3, Poker, Fallout 3, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War+Expansions

Also getting into playing Federation Commander/Star Fleet Battles again, and probably some Settlers of Catan, and Ninja Burger.

Captain Kwok January 12th, 2009 05:28 PM

Mostly SE5 here with the occasional game of EA NHL 0X when I\'m in the sporting mood.

Hugh Manatee January 13th, 2009 07:40 AM

Guild Wars, It's like Mechwarrior with mages, swords/axes and such. You pick a class, pick a secondary class, make your weapons, pick 8 out of 100s of skills and do your best to kick *** with your team mates. Also Advance Wars DS is great for offline distractins.

Makinus January 13th, 2009 12:52 PM

Beyond the ones in my signature, i´ve been playing a lot Megamek lately...

AgentZero January 13th, 2009 09:55 PM

I find myself playing very few games these days, due to the whole full-time student thing. The recent expansion suckered me back into WoW, since I found I could pop in for half an hour, run a few daily quests, and feel like I actually accomplished something. I was playing Tabula Rasa before that for much the same reason, but since it's cancellation was announced, I've just found it to be too depressing to carry on. Still, if anyone was ever interested, it's now completely free to play until Feb 28th when they're shutting it all down.

Aside from that, I played Fallout 3 for a little, before deciding I wanted to spend more time than I had to play it, so it got shelved with The Witcher, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Titan Quest, Overlord, and Beyond Good & Evil to await a time when evenings & weekends are mine again. I've been playing a bit of Dawn of War/Starcraft/Left for Dead multiplayer with some classmates while we wait for something to install/uninstall/work/fail.

Over the Christmas break, I played a boatload of World of Goo, which is probably the most entertaining puzzle game I've played in a good long while. I also recently came across a little gem called King's Bounty, which is all kinds of fun. It's best described a Heroes of Might & Magic clone, but it's got all kinds of quirky little extras that set it apart, like your wife whose inventory slowly fills up with children that give you various bonuses, and whom you need to keep happy or she'll leave with the kids & half your gold. It's also less constrained than HoMM, letting you just mill around the map fighting battles and doing quests, rather than forcing you along with a set of objectives. The only knock I have against it is that you'll occasionally run into a battle against an opponent who's far tougher than anything else on the map, with no indication of what you're getting into until it's too late. That being said, there's a great sense of satisfaction when you win such a battle after 90% of your army is wiped out and you're rewarded with a bunch of experience and loot.

And that's about it. Now if you were to ask me what games I'd like to be playing, you'd get a very different, and much longer reply. ;)

Combat Wombat January 14th, 2009 04:41 AM

Eve Online
Mass Effect(finished a few months ago)
Fallout 3(finished a few weeks ago)
Starfleet Command III(just started playing conquest again with a mod to freshen things up a bit)
Team Fortress 2(usually on a cp_orange_x3 server)
Left 4 Dead(on and off its kinda started losing its fun)
Empires mod for Hlaf-Life 2
Mount & Blade
Audiosurf(now and then)

Things I may play soon
KOTOR and KOTOR 2(been awhile since i played though both this will be my 4th run through of each I think)

think that is everything

Randallw January 14th, 2009 06:23 AM

I play SEV, two daily empire game where I pop in for 5 minutes buy stuff, build things, and collect taxes. I play some games with my nephew. I recently copied over Hearts of Iron 2 to my latest computer after not playing it for some time (I actually made a mod for it several years back. The Domination Mod).

For some reason ( a new system with Vista :re:) I have bad luck with mainstream games. Heck I have to play SEV on a laptop to make sure it doesn't crash. I've played KOTOR and it always eventually crashes before I finish so I gave up on Bioware games, especially since Mass Effect crashes after 5 minutes. I got Warhammer Online only for it also to crash after I play for 5 minutes. Actually I'm really not that bothered by that one. I was in the beta and intended to have another try once a week or so, and I don't know if I was put off by all the trouble I had but I realised I actually couldn't be bothered. After years of following it and getting into the Beta it was actually quite surprising to realise I simply can't make the time to play an MMPORPG. I wasn't upset or anything, it was just a fact that I didn't have the time and I was ok with that. You've got to laugh :)

I palyed Crysis, that was good, but once done I haven't gone back. Portal was nice. I tried to play it again but I couldn't remember my damn Steam stuff and the help it gives is terrible. Can't be helped, so I gave up.

Xrati January 14th, 2009 12:33 PM

After wearing out GalCiv2 I moved on to Sins of a Solar Empire. :bored: Found it to simplistic as compared to other games I've played. I've gone into my archives and have resurrected Baldurs Gate 2 :rock: Empire Deluxe Enhanced Edition and Sim City 4! :yawn: After a recent trip to the local software store I realized that there is not much out there anymore! :( I'm going to hang onto the OLD games and see if this trend continues... What ever happened to games like Space Quest and Carriers at War?

Gandalf Parker January 14th, 2009 12:45 PM

Have you checked the Shrapnel roster lately. Some very interesting games are getting attention. Space, historical war games, and some just plain weird ones. But (no offense intended) they all tend to fall into the "not really latest greatest graphics and sound". If an independent game that puts effort into areas other than eye and ear candy then we should all do them the favor of at least checking out the demos for hosting this wonderful forum.

Baron Munchausen January 14th, 2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Combat Wombat (Post 666875)
Eve Online

Starfleet Command III(just started playing conquest again with a mod to freshen things up a bit)

Mod? What does this mod do? Where do you get it?

Black_Knyght January 15th, 2009 12:48 AM

Try here for SFC3 Mods: http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.com/

One of my personal favorites, BTW

Combat Wombat January 15th, 2009 02:30 AM

http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.c...nstaller;91592
http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.c...s_update;96310

Thats a link to the mod and a small patch. Adds a bunch of new canon and non-canon ships and adds the Dominion as a side so its Romulans/Federation/Klingon/Dominion/Borg lots of good times to be had.

mac5732 January 15th, 2009 11:37 PM

currently playing a pbem of war plan orange, a game of Dom3 (sp) and just starting to learn and play Salvo SP..... have a pbem game of Dom3 pending...

mac5732 January 15th, 2009 11:40 PM

a number of the nice eye candy and great graphic games are a lot less fun and playable as a number of those that don't have all the bells and whistles. I would also recommend looking at some of the less eye candy and great graphic ones and look at some of those that have less but are more fun, enjoyable and better AIs... IMHO

Xrati January 16th, 2009 01:29 PM

I forgot to mention Air Command 3! The best games I've ever played were not the greatest graphic games around, BUT they did hold my interest for hours of enjoyable playing time. Not to mention very good AI programming.

I'm and old Avalon Hill Board Game player and really enjoyed some of their computer games (Flight Commander, Dreadnaught, Underfire) as well. I've also played SFB for years as you guys seem to be avid fans of Starfleet Command. I was given an evaluation copy of it by Steve Cole when we were negotiating Pinwheel Galaxy addition to SFB. I like the board game better. Maybe because the group I played with had a great social aspect.

I watch my niece play Wii and some of the games are just plain stupid, while the actual graphics are terrible. I think the gaming industry need to re-evaluate where it's going to go.(IMHO)

Arkcon January 19th, 2009 08:54 PM

Every morning, or afternoon, I jump on and play Kingdom of Loathing http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/sta...p?id=whatiskol you only get a set number of turns a day, so it doesn't become an obsession. I used to play Diablo II, and I was looking forward to Diablo III, but I don't think I'm going to let myself get sucked into that. I may try Linux, again, and I'll work on getting SE4 to run under Wine. Outside of that, I tend to hit up Jayisgames http://jayisgames.com/ to see what short Flash game I can amuse myself with for a short time.

Atrocities January 19th, 2009 10:21 PM

Right now the primary game I am playing is Cyber Nations. That browser game that Combat Wombat got some of us into two years ago.

PC games:
Fear
Simcity 4 Rush Hour
(just finished) KOTOR - boring *** game.
Kicking around crisis and DeuxEx 2 IW, as well as BioSchock.

I am finding it hard to get into bioshock though. Fear is ok but its just a shooter, no real addiction their. Crisis is so disappointing that it turned it me off to FarCry 2.

I crave a good earth conquest game based on SE IV. Not Civ IV or any of the Empire Earth games, but one that has the depth and interest and inspiration of SE IV but land based instead of space based.

I too am going through the game archives looking for games to play. I am wondering if Decent Freespace will work on my C2 XP machine or not.

Gandalf Parker January 19th, 2009 11:28 PM

Hve you tried Dominions 3 yet?

Atrocities January 20th, 2009 01:27 AM

I played the Demo GP. I was going to buy the game a while back but never got around to it. I did play Dom2 for a very long time but eventually got bored with it and gave the game to my uncle who still plays it to this day.

narf poit chez BOOM January 22nd, 2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atrocities (Post 668341)
I too am going through the game archives looking for games to play. I am wondering if Decent Freespace will work on my C2 XP machine or not.

Freespace? Good Old Games

They license, update for modern systems and sell old games. Including Freespace #1&2

Black_Knyght January 23rd, 2009 04:25 PM

I still play SEIV religiously, and still love to play the whole Star War: Galactic Battlegrounds saga, as well as Starfleet Command III.

Rollo January 31st, 2009 10:14 PM

City of Heroes/Villains (not so active anymore)
Warhammer Online (pretty active right now)
Dom 3 (every now and then, SP only)

I haven't played SE4 or SE5 in a long time, but I did play two or three games of MOO2 a few weeks back.

dumbluck February 3rd, 2009 10:37 PM

Rollo! Come back to us! We miss you so!

Black_Knyght February 5th, 2009 10:03 PM

Here, Here! - I second that motion!

Perrin February 11th, 2009 09:42 AM

Its been a while but I have found my way back here. Getting older and having children has put a dent in my gaming.

Web Browser games:
Pardus MMO. Its a little like SEIV because you can make space buildings and fly around in different ships. If anyone would like to try it out and if you are so inclined you can enter my referral number (100539) when you sign up.

Shooters:
Basically 'Team Fortress 2' and 'Day of Defeat' (old and source). Recently I just discovered 'Eternal Silence' a mod that can be used if you have a source game already. It is a team based shooter where two capital ships are slugging it out and you jump into a small ship and attack corvettes and invade the other teams capital ship.

Others:
I have been playing the DOM3 demo and will put the game on my Birthday / Christmas lists (can't afford to get it for myself with a 2yr old and a baby on the way at the moment).

Future Games:
Stardock is developing a Fantasy turn based game called Elemental: War of Magic that looks promising.

Gandalf Parker February 11th, 2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atrocities (Post 668371)
I played the Demo GP. I was going to buy the game a while back but never got around to it. I did play Dom2 for a very long time but eventually got bored with it and gave the game to my uncle who still plays it to this day.

Dom3 is up to 72 nations, with another 20 empty slots for modders to fill. Johan went nuts with this version in adding modding commands and he still tosses in more fairly frequently. Feel free to join us. You would be a great addition to the modding community (of course thats after the year or so that it would take to get tired enough of whats already in it to consider modding)

Oh yeah, and in case anyone missed the sales announcement, its presently (minorly) on sale.

Skirmisher February 11th, 2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker (Post 673832)
Dom3 is up to 72 nations, with another 20 empty slots for modders to fill.

Thats nice but would you consider ALL the modded nations of quality? Worthy of being added?

And since you seem to be up on Dominions 3 modding,is it possible to create your own forgable gear? I'd like to add a set of rings that boost magic paths.

Cheers

Gandalf Parker February 11th, 2009 05:59 PM

The 72 nations are developer added to the game. And they are all excellent.

The 20 empty slots are fought over by at least twice that many really interesting nations. The cool thing about Dom3 is that it has much more room for uniqueness in its modded nations. We even have one guy turning it into a space game. :)

As to the modding question, Im more the map commands and server commands guy. But there are definetly commands in the mod docs for modding equipment. Also nations, units, gods, spells, and magic sites.

AMF February 12th, 2009 01:12 PM

EVE-online.

Occasionally, Dom3 and Europa Universalis.

Lavaere February 16th, 2009 04:54 AM

Right now I'm playing Dwarf Fortress, SEIV, Dom3. Occasionly OTTD and just reinstalled Titans of Steel for some mech battles

Rollo June 10th, 2009 02:48 PM

Hi everyone,
not playing many games at the moment, but I found this little one that fun to pass some time =). Fight my brute

Makinus June 11th, 2009 09:41 PM

I recently got a small independent strategy game on a whim and found it a surprisingly addictive game: Light of Altair. It's a very fun game, is worth it's small price and is available as a direct download, try it, it's a very challenging and addictive game... thay also have a demo if you wish to try it before buying...

Rollo June 14th, 2009 03:17 AM

Thanks Makinus,

I played the demo and it got me hooked. So far, it's 12 Euros well spent.

Randallw June 14th, 2009 06:13 AM

Dash it, I was just hoping to get people to join my Dojo :)

dumbluck June 14th, 2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makinus (Post 695573)
I recently got a small independent strategy game on a whim and found it a surprisingly addictive game: Light of Altair. It's a very fun game, is worth it's small price and is available as a direct download, try it, it's a very challenging and addictive game... thay also have a demo if you wish to try it before buying...

Meh. I couldn't seem to get past the venus mission in the demo. :confused: There must be something I'm not getting, and I prefer the "sandbox" game paradigm anyway. Or who knows, maybe my dumb luck wasn't kicking in... :o

Makinus June 14th, 2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumbluck (Post 695880)
Meh. I couldn't seem to get past the venus mission in the demo. :confused: There must be something I'm not getting, and I prefer the "sandbox" game paradigm anyway. Or who knows, maybe my dumb luck wasn't kicking in... :o

According to the developer talk in the forums, they are developing a patch that will add sandbox/skirmish style play to the game, i too prefer "sandbox/skirmish" play, as i think it adds replayability to a game and i´m eagerly waiting the patch, but since i didn´t finish the campaign game yet... i´m at the 7th or 8th "mission", colonizing the moons of the outer planets (saturn, uranus, netune) while fighting against 3 or 4 other factions

Atrocities June 18th, 2009 02:30 PM

Cybernations.net (Atrocities)
Space-Project.net (Atrocities)

Still play tribes from time to time but not very much any more.
Still play some SE IV but no much.
Still play SC4RH off and on.
Have played CIV IV
Have played GalCiv II
Do play Crisis, Farcry, F.E.A.R. DeusEx 2, and Bioshock.

Loved - System Shock 2
Tribes
Tribes 2
Freespace
Freespace 2
Age of empires
Age of empires II
Half Life
Half Life 2
Half Life Counter Strike
others.

The older I get the harder I find games interesting. I guess I am out growing computer games, that or I have become completely board of them.

God I miss the good old days of this forum in the early pre-2003 years. 2003 seems like yesterday doesn't it? Like a couple of months ago. Man time flies by.

Xrati June 19th, 2009 12:15 PM

Time flies when your having fun!!! :angel

AT, try some oldies like Startopia and Tropico. Change of pace games...

Makinus June 19th, 2009 01:11 PM

Good old Startopia! I played it a lot... damn, now i must find where i put it so i can play again

:eek:(looks dispairingly at the pile of boxes of old computer stuff at the corner...)

Xrati June 20th, 2009 10:48 AM

Build it and they will come... :rock:

Don't go chasing the Sirens around!!!

dumbluck June 20th, 2009 08:44 PM

godDAMN but Begin multiplayer is addictive!

/me is getting the shakes, but refuses to let this game rule his life.

Suicide Junkie June 20th, 2009 10:37 PM

Well, given that you stuck out to the end in an 18 hour straight marathon epic game, I'd say it is too late for you DL :D

Myself, I lasted until hour 12, whereupon a Klingon battlecruiser did a kamikazi run against me despite DL's best efforts to help.

Se5a also lasted until the end, but had to abandon ship when 600 Klingons boarded it through a destroyed shield arc, and finished the battle aboard a captured Klingon frigate.

NTJedi June 22nd, 2009 06:45 AM

Dominions_3 mainly, but also playing SE_5 with balance mod. Also playing AoW:SM as well.

Kana June 22nd, 2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suicide Junkie (Post 697082)
Well, given that you stuck out to the end in an 18 hour straight marathon epic game, I'd say it is too late for you DL :D

Myself, I lasted until hour 12, whereupon a Klingon battlecruiser did a kamikazi run against me despite DL's best efforts to help.

Se5a also lasted until the end, but had to abandon ship when 600 Klingons boarded it through a destroyed shield arc, and finished the battle aboard a captured Klingon frigate.

Begin 3?

Where can one get this?

dumbluck June 22nd, 2009 08:30 PM

begin3 is only single player, but it is available here

We were playing begin2, I believe.

Suicide Junkie June 23rd, 2009 06:44 PM

For the multiplayer: http://begin2.sourceforge.net/

Things are going pretty well, Se5a is busy capturing the ship down south, and me and DL are teaming up against the incoming BCs
http://imagemodserver.mine.nu/nick/p...s/begin_mp.PNG
<br>
The Aries and SJ are obliterated as that Lachesis BC that was taking a pounding earlier self destructs at point blank. Dumbluck's Wardog has taken serious damage from the twin blasts, with a third of her weapons down and the forward shields in tatters.
http://imagemodserver.mine.nu/nick/p.../begin_mp2.PNG
<br>
Se5a and the Mythos have taken hits on all sides from the dreads, and takes refuge under the rapidly dwindling shields of the starbase. Not long after this, the shields fail, and the Mythos is wrecked. The Jurakte is in reasonable shape, and Se5a takes command to help finish the battle
http://imagemodserver.mine.nu/nick/p.../begin_mp3.PNG

Kana June 24th, 2009 06:43 PM

I've downloaded it. I'll look at it, and probably join you guys online at the chat room. I'm an old fan of this game, and the spirtual father of it SFB.

Baron Munchausen June 24th, 2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumbluck (Post 697368)
begin3 is only single player, but it is available here

We were playing begin2, I believe.

Now you've done it! I never got into Nettrek because it was so hard to survive in the multi-player environment. This is like an automated Starfleet Battles game. No need to write things down on a sheet of paper, and not even a need for another player.

No need to guess what "other" games I will be playing for a while...