.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Multiplayer and AARs (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Awestruck. New Late Age game. (Game over, Atlantis wins) (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=48650)

Amhazair April 9th, 2012 10:39 AM

Awestruck. New Late Age game. (Game over, Atlantis wins)

1 Attachment(s)
Are you tired of your Demon Lords being trampled underfoot?

Have you been hurt by the mocking laughter of your opponents when they see your puny Elemental Royalty on the field?

Have you always felt ancient beings like the Tarrasque should be worthy of respect?

Do you believe any Giant Kraken worth its salt can wield a multitude of weapons with its tentacles and turn them into a vortex of destruction?

Have you always dreamed of incarnating a lobster pretender wearing a human for a hat?

If you can answer yes to these questions, then this is the game for you. We’ll be trying out the AwesomeGods and AwesomeEndgame mods, and leave your opponents Awestruck at the sight of the Awesome powers at your command, unable to sleep for fear of their nightmares. Prepare yourself, for the Dominion Wars will never be the same again…

Settings: All standard except for site frequency of 45

Mods: Fixed version of the OPM mob, comining CBM, AE, and AG. (Attached to this post, see below for description.)

Map: Fixed Riverlands Map.

Start: Next weekend if all goes well.

Important Houserule: Gift of reason should not be used on any of the freespawn from a pretender god. (Since with the Awesomegods mod some of them are mages of some power.)

Hosting: Relaxed pace. 24h quickhost to start with, but moving to longer times as needed.

Anything I have forgotten? Feel free to point out. :)

Winner: Amhazair (Atlantis)

Other players:

Executor (C'tis)
Skymoon (Marignon)
Tigerblood (Pangaea)
Admiral Aorta (Ermor)
Dojango (Pythium)
Kakarotto (T'ien Ch'i) - KeithZ taking over for the time being.
Himselfbh (Jomon)
Jotwebe (Abysia)
Ossa (Utgard)
Drillbit (Agartha)
StMika (Bogarus)
Tratorix (Midgard)
Soyweiser (Gath)

For those unfamiliar with them who want to know what the mod we're using is about, the basic idea for these mods is really to add various kinds of umph to the titanic figures of the Dominion Wars, the pretender gods and supercombatants.

For the pretenders this can mean giving them various kinds of summons or domsummons, magicboosts to various paths and/or various other tweaks, from the minor to the huge. Take a good look around when designing your pretender, as there’s likely to be at least a couple of changes that might give you a different idea about how to go about the game with the nation you chose. (And even if you go a familiar path there might be a tweak or two to found to improve it.)

For the Endgame mod the most eye-catching change might be the boosting of the elemental royalty to (almost?) ridiculous levels of power, (as well as similar-though-slightly-less spectacular changes to the tree lords, demon lords and spenta’s) but since they’re all unique I figure that should be okay, just giving a bit more spice and possibly a similar feel as the race for artifacts we’re all familiar with. In the end the easy availability of magic diversity summons in the form of tweaks to the wraith lord, the ancient kraken and even (gasp) the tarrasque might be more game changing though. Other changes include various tweaks to the EDG summons and (daring decision) making the chalice extremely expensive but non-unique so everyone has equal chances of growing a tartarian farm. (Of course, as George Orwell knows, some nations are more equal than others.)

This does make things different to what we're used to, and there's a couple of things of the AwesomeEndgame mod I'm unsure about, but I figure there's no harm in trying something different once in a while, right? (I'm unreservedly enthousiastic about the AwesomeGods mod though, just so you know.)

A fixed version of the mod is attached to this post, while an extensive readme of the AE and AG mods is copy/pasted a few posts down.

SirMu April 9th, 2012 11:25 AM

Re: Awestruck. New Late Age game. (Recruiting)

The mod combination with AG, AE, and CBM already exists, it is called Other People's Mods, and it can be found here: http://proactiveapathy.com/dom3/mods/mods.html

Amhazair April 9th, 2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirMu (Post 801083)
The mod combination with AG, AE, and CBM already exists, it is called Other People's Mods, and it can be found here: http://proactiveapathy.com/dom3/mods/mods.html

Wow, thanks a lot for that. I was under the imression that the Forbidden Friendship mod was (at least originally) intended to be the combination of the three, but it diverged (a bit?) from CBM, so I thought I'd have to put it together myself. Big relief this will spare me the work...

skymoon April 10th, 2012 05:25 AM

Signed. New for the MP and play for fun. :)
I choose LA Marignon.

TigerBlood April 10th, 2012 07:43 AM

Pangaea please.

Memento April 10th, 2012 10:00 AM

Am i getting it right that this will be a game with gemgens????

Amhazair April 10th, 2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Memento (Post 801168)
Am i getting it right that this will be a game with gemgens????

No, as said in the OP it includes the newest CBM version as well as the two Awesomemods, so no gemgens.

Amhazair April 10th, 2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skymoon (Post 801145)
I choose LA Marignon.

Damn, not only your first game, but your very first post too. :)

Welcome to Dominions (or at least to the forum) and all that stuff. I really like Marignon, some fun stuff to be done with them. Hope you have fun.

Immaculate April 10th, 2012 11:31 AM

is there a thread that describes what these mods are and what specific changes have been made?

skymoon April 10th, 2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amhazair (Post 801174)
Quote:

Originally Posted by skymoon (Post 801145)
I choose LA Marignon.

Damn, not only your first game, but your very first post too. :)

Welcome to Dominions (or at least to the forum) and all that stuff. I really like Marignon, some fun stuff to be done with them. Hope you have fun.

Thanks Amhazair. I'm really new for this old game. :D
I have read some articles at the forum and try to learn some EXP in the MP.:happy:

Amhazair April 10th, 2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immaculate (Post 801177)
is there a thread that describes what these mods are and what specific changes have been made?

Not so much. They were made over on the SA (Something Aweful) forums. I don't know if you know that site, but they have one giant thread for each specific game, so everything dominions related, whether it's game talk, strategy talk, mod talk and anything else is in the same huge thread. It terrifies me to be honest. :) So the discussion about these mods is undoubtedly in there somewhere, but good luck finding it.

But as I said, the mods have extensive readme's.I suppose I can copy/paste them here. Best read from the bottom up, the most recent changes are on top. (Though apparently the AwesomeGods mods start from version 1.3, so you can't read the earliest changes. In any case, the pretender changes can all be seen and tested during pretender design, so that's not too big of a problem I think.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeEndgame
--

NEW
- Reinvig bug in Belphegor, Lord of Hell, fixed.
- Typo fixed that was keeping Nephele, Queen of Clouds from being awesomed.
- Wraith Lords busted down to 3D + 3AEFWS, magicboost eliminated.
- Wraith Lords now back to 40 gems, still research 9.
- Zmeys reduced to 30/30/60 HP on heads.
- Chalice reduced to 5N/4N to make tarts better.
- Ember Lords changed from 4F 1E 1D to 4F + 2ED.
- Krakens now 30 gems and 3/2/1 for paths, which can still overlap fully.

- Wraith Lords now 50 gems, level 9 research.
- Elemental Royalty and Demon Lord age bug fixed.
- Wendigo now require W3 N3 instead of W3D3, and lowered to Thaum 5.
- Wendigo now has Reinvig 4 in all forms.
- Treant now Ambidextrous 2.
- Kraken now comes with paths of 3/3/3, 6/3, or 9, chosen from all 8 magics.
- Roc now 3 base Air, 10% chance of 1 extra air.
- Treant fire vuln increased to 150%
- Zmey now 50% vuln to cold.
- Ember Lord now 150% vuln to cold.
- Asynja now 150% vuln to poison.
- Angelic Ascension added, will revive a non-giant, non-small-flier hall of fame hero as a Virtue.
- Demonic Ascension added, will revive a non-giant, non-small-flier hall of fame hero as a Moloch.
- Necromantic Apotheosis added, will revive a non-giant, non-small-flier hall of fame hero a a Dracolich.
- Grendelkin, Treant, Ember Lord, Asynja, Ettin, Mechanical Giant, Cyclops, Tarrasque, Wraith Lord, all lose about 20% max HP.

- Treant reinvig increase for being rooted removed due to ability to root in combat.
- King of Banefires now Fire 6, Death 6, Reinvigoration 10, gets 1 fire and 1 death gem per turn.
- King of Flames now Heat 40, Fireshield 30, Fire 10. Gets 3 fire gems per turn.
- King of Magma now Fire 7, Earth 5. Gets 1 fire and 1 earth gem per turn.
- King of Deeper Earth now Earth 10. Gets 3 earth gems per turn.
- King of Mountains now Earth 8, Air 5. Gets 1 earth and 1 air gem per turn.
- Father Illearth now Earth 7, Blood 7, gets 1 earth gem and 1 blood slave per turn.
- Queen of Clouds now Air 8, Water 5, Reinvig 4, gets 1 air and 1 water gem per month.
- Queen of Storms now Air 10, Reinvig 8, gets 3 air gems per month.
- Queen of Thunder now 90 HP, Air 10, gets 3 air gems per month, and recuperates from injuries.
- Queen of the Deeps now Water 10, gets 3 water gems per month.
- Queen of the Lake now Water 8, Earth 5, gets 1 water and 1 earth gem per month.
- Queen of the Sea now Water 8, Nature 5, gets 1 water and 1 nature gem per month.
- Belial, Lord of Corruption, now gets +3 to all paths (even empowered ones), 1 fire, 1 nature, and 1 blood income per month.
- Belphegor, Lord of Hell, now Blood 10, gets 10 blood slaves per turn, and has Reinvigoration 20.
- Buer, the Goat Sun, now gets +3 to all paths (even empowered oens), 2 fire, 1 death income per month.
- Pazuzu, the Plague Wind, now ethereal and Reinvigoration 20, 2 air, 1 death income per month.
- Treelord(Barkheart) now has Nature 9 and Blood 6.
- Treelord(Rootheart) now has Nature 9 and Earth 6.
- Dying Treelord now has Nature 10 and Death 5.
- Spenta of Sky and Metals now gets 2 Air 1 Earth gem per turn.
- Spenta of Animals now N6, gets 3 Nature gems per turn.
- Spenta of Fire now gets 3 Fire gems, Fire Shield 10, Heat 10
- Spenta of Plants now E3 N4, gets 2 Nature and 1 Earth gem per turn, and entangles attackers.
- Spenta of Waters now W6, gets 3 Water gems per turn, recuperates from afflictions, and regenerates 50% of HP per turn.
- Spenta of the Earth now E6H5 with no nature, gets 3 Earth gems per turn, and has 4 base Reinvigoration.
- Daughter of Typhon now has bonuses for when you gift of reason her. Nature 9 + Spawn 1 sacred Hydra and 5 sacred Hydra Hatchlings per turn.
- Summon Tlaloque now costs 30 gems instead of 60.
- Tartarian Shattered Soul reduced to 10 from 25.
- Tartarians can now be commanderized using the Death spell "Possess Undead", which sacrifices the caster. Better use an immortal.
- The Chalice now level 6 (nonunique), Nature 5 Nature 5 item.
- Tartarian Gate now costs 30 Death gems. (+80N for Chalice) (+5D for Possess Undead if necessary)

- Tarrasque now has 4 Misc slots, is summoned as a commander, and starts with 4N and 4(AEFW)
- Grendelkin down to 190 HP and Amphibian, may now be cast underwater.
- Wraith Lord now starts with D3 and either 3 in 2 paths or 4 in 1 path, chosen from AEFWS
- Iron Dragon now has Storm Power 5, is Const 7, and comes as a commander.
- Harvester of Sorrows now has mapmove 10.
- Costs Adjusted
- Treants now get 4 Arm and 4 Misc slots.
- Treants now get 4/8/10/20 reinvigoration (normal, in a forest, rooted, rooted in forest)
- Treants now start with N2 and get 3x 50% chances at W, E, and N.
- Great Kraken now starts with either 3 ranks in 3 paths, or 3 ranks in one path and 4 ranks in one, or 5 ranks in a single path.
- Wild Ettin now has 25 Magic Resistance.
- Mechanical Giant now has 90 HP, so it can actually weather a couple attacks from another SC.
- Granite Cyclops now receives Summon Earthpower (+1 Earth and +4 Reinvig) for free in battle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeGods
- Mother of Lions busted down to 1+Domsummon20 kithaironic lions per turn.
- Manticore Bite attack replaced with Swallow.
- Red/Blue/Green dragon AoEs swapped on melee (now 1/1/3) and ranged (now 3/3/5) breath.
- Wyrm's Foul Vapors removed.
- Crone now has Research +5.
- Frost Father now Summon Allies 5 Unfrozen Warriors instead of 5 Winter Wolves.
- ***** Queen now gets free Dire Wolves in both forms, since there's no drawback to being in wolf form.
- Bakemono Kunshu now gets 2 in all starting paths in addition to research bonus 20.
- Jade Emperor now 0 points.
- Son of the Heavens now 25 points instead of 100.
- Daughter of the Dawn now starts with 4 Air, 4 Astral, all of it real, with pathcost 80.
- Son of the Sun(Astral) loses Awe 2, gains Fire 2, Astral 4, Pathcost 80, and costs 50 points.
- Son of the Sun(Fire) now costs 50 points, starts with base 5 Fire, all real, and pathcost 80, in addition to 2 fire gems per turn.
- Lord of the Waves now costs 50 points, starts with Water 4, Earth 4, all real. Pathcost 80.
- Divine Serpent now start with N6 instead of 4.
- Son of Niefel reduced to 25 points from 75.
- Keeper of the Bridge up to 75 cost from 0, now comes with A5 E3, all real, pathcost 80.
- Shedu raised to 2E 2S base.
- Son of Fenrir up to W3N3 from W1N1, now 50 points.
- Cyclops down to 50 points from 75.
- Great Enchantress can now spend her turn to make 1 Watcher in her current province.

- Wyrm's bites changed to Poison Fangs, which use the same "poison" as the Father of Serpents, and is unresistable.
- Wyrm now autocasts Foul Vapors, poisoning the whole battlefield.
- Lord of War now comes with Bow of War and gets 1 Sapper per turn instead of 1 Heavy Cav.
- Great Mother description fixed to reflect her magicboost.
- Divine Throne reduced to 220 points.
- Colossal Head now domsummon2 Jaguar Toad, domsummon20 Monster Toad.
- Celestial General now comes with Lightning Bow, AOE 1 lightning attack, and autocasts Mass Protection at start of battle.
- Old Man of the Sea now has +2 to all paths, and costs 50 points, and has pathcost 80.
- Ancient Kraken now has 4 arms, 4 misc slots, and Ambidextrous 8, and Poison Resist 100%
- Freak Lord now has a secondshape into a freak, which is the real freak lord, having used his magic to twist himeself. He just uses the dude as a decoy and item caddy.
- Amphibious Archmage description updated, he is now a lobster mage who wears a dude as a hat for the item slots.
- Nerid now autocasts Shark Attack in battle.
- Sphinx now 25 points and domsummon2 dust warriors instead of domsummon1.
- Vampire Queen now 50 points instead of 25.
- Mother of Tuatha desc fixed.
- Titan(male) desc fixed.
- Cyclops now 75 points instead of 125.
- Father of Winters now 25 points instead of 50.
- Lady of Springs back to W2N1 base.
- Son of Fenrir now gets 5+Domsummon dire wolves per turn.
- Carrion Dragon dragon form now casts Carrion Growth on battle start.
- Manticore now has 1 head slot, 1 feet slot, 4 misc slots.
- Lady of Love reduced to 25 points from 50.
- Bakemono Kunshu reduced to 0 points from 50.
- Mother of Lions gets 5 Kithaironic Lions per turn instead of 1.
- Titan(Female) reduced to 0 points.
- Mother of Monsters now gets 1 grotesque per turn, flat, and cockatrice increased to domsummon from domsummon2.
- Lord of the Desert Sun now has Heat 20.
- Saurolich reduced to 75 points from 100.
- Son of the Fallen reduced to 0 points.
- Son of Niefel pathcost increased to 80, now Air, Water, Death 2 starting.

- Male Titan now straight up Air 7 instead of air 2 + air boost 5.
- Cyclops bug fixed.

- Lawgiver description now reflects his spawning of free Eagle Warriors.
- Great Warlock now has Douse 10 and Incunrest -25
- Arch Druid now Entangles attackers, starts with dominion 2, and autocasts Relief in battle.
- Colossal Fetish now has only prot 13, is vulnerable to fire, and only reinvig 10.
- Titan(Male) now costs 75 points, on par with the Son of the Sea.
- Prince of Death now costs 75 points, on par with Moloch.
- Deva now has Blood Vengeance, +5 Blood casting.
- Shedu now casts Will of the Fates in battle.
- Lord of the Desert Sun now has a decent spear.
- Ghost King now costs 25 points.
- Green Dragon now has ranged breath AOE 3, melee breath AOE 5, Dom 2.
- Red Dragon now has ranged breath AOE 1, melee breath AOE 3. Dom 2.
- Blue Dragon now has ranged breath AOE 1, melee breath AOE 3. Dom 2.
- Drakaina no longer summons kokythiads in battle.
- Drakaina now costs 50, starts with 1 each in Water, Earth, Death, with path boost of 3 in those paths only.
- Bakemono Kunshu now gets +25 research.
- Female Titan now costs 25 points.
- Fomorian Sorcerer now has Healer 50.
- Lord of the Night now auto-casts Battle Darkness, costs 0 points
- Lord of the Forest now costs 25 points.
- Destroyer of Worlds costs 75 points, auto-casts Earthquake at start of battle, and has Death 7.
- Void Lurker changed back to 15 pathcost, 3 starting astral, 2 starting dominion.
- Bog Mummy down to 75 points.
- Solar Disc now Heat 20, Fire Shield 30, Ethereal, Fire 3, and costs 25 points.
- Father of Winters now costs 50 points, generates 1 air and 1 water gem per turn.
- Fountai of Blood increased to Douse 10 and 6 free slaves per turn.
- Nataraja now starts with 4 Astral, but costs 25 points, and pathcost of 150.
- Lord of the Forest gets 2 nature gems per turn in addition to his animal buddies.
- Colossal Head now gets 4 Misc slots and generates 2 nature gems and 2 blood slaves per turn.

- Dragons now have 3 base path, 3 base dom.
- Soldier of East/West gcost divided by 5.
- Virtue is now A1S1 and Magicboost 2.
- Colossal Head is now N4B4 in addition to getting 5 extra temple checks per turn.
- Partholonian Sorceress now domsummons instead of getting a steady 5 per turn.
- Arch Seraph now 0 points.
- Mother of Tuatha now domsummon2 Tuatha.
- Forge Lord gets crappy Attack/Defense/Precision, 75% forge bonus, +3 Magicboost, starts with F1E1, pathcost 60, and is chained to his forge.
- Fomorian Sorceror is 0 cost, 80 pathcost, 1 skill each in Air, Water, Death, and Nature.
- Arch Druid now starts with 1 each Air, Earth, Nature, 30 HP, 100% regen, Stealth 20, Entangle Attacker, Dom 2 base, and autocasts Relief at start of battle. Costs 50 points.
- Father of Serpents now starts with 2 Nature,2 Death, has constrictor snakes that defend him loyally (like a Vine Shield), and his bite and staff both proc The Deadliest Poison, which is so virulent it will kill practically anything, even things normally immune to poison, instantly.

- Drakaina is now Water/Earth/Death, and summons Kokythiads in battle.
- Great White Bull now costs 150 points (up from 75)
- Titan(male) now costs 150 points. (down from 200)
- Great Mother now starts with W1E1N1 and magicboost 2. Battle cast away, and take an awesome bless if you want.
- White Bull now costs 75 points.
- Wyrm now costs 0 points, and has 2 Head and 4 Misc slots.
- Archmage is now Amphibious instead of Aquatic.
- Vampire Queen now has starting dominion of 3, and 18 defense.
- Scorpion King now gets occasional free Scorpion Men, starts with Dom 3, slots of Hand, Hand, Head, Body, 3x Misc
- Ageless Olm now 75 points, starts with W4 E4
- Mother of Serpents now costs 0 points.

Amhazair April 11th, 2012 11:06 AM

It's starting to look like all the stodgy conservatives around these parts are hesitant to try something new/think those mods are Aweful instead of Awesome, one or the other. (There was a time when I wouldn't have joined games with "all kinds of crazy mods" either, but those days are behind me for some unknown reason.) Either that or there's simply not enough players left to start any kind of game, but I prefer the first explanation. I'm going to leave it open a bit longer, see if intrest turns up after all.

Would people prefer a game with only AwesomeGods and no AwesomeEndgame since that's easier to digest, only affecting the pretender? Or doesn't it make a difference?

Legendary League April 11th, 2012 11:29 AM

Holy mother of g-

I'd love to play, I'm just not certain I'm at an adequate skill level to not get instantly murderized. :p

Executor April 11th, 2012 04:54 PM

Amhazair, perhaps you should open a separate thread over on the other forum for recruitment. A lot of players stick to either one or the other forum.

Valerius April 11th, 2012 05:59 PM

Well, I'm not in the target audience because it's LA (They've got no elves! What kind of an era is that?) and a fairly large game (all endgames are Awful for me ;)) but I skimmed over the change log you posted.

The overall impression I get is that these mods ramp up the power level, particularly on the SC side of things. My preference is to tone things down and SCs are my least favorite part of the game so it's not really my cup of tea but I think this could be a fun game for people who do like SCs (which is likely a majority).

Maybe part of the reason people hesitate is uncertainty about all the changes these mods make (I'm still discovering new things about the latest CBM changes, never mind all that's involved here). So I think you may be right that using only AwesomeGods would be easier since you'd only have to examine a couple dozen pretenders at the beginning of the game but then it would play out as normal.

Edit: Also, I know you like larger games but it's a bit easier to try something different in a smaller game than in one that may go on a long time and you could be stuck with mods/settings you don't like.

himselfbh April 11th, 2012 09:34 PM

Hi, I wanna take part in.
This may be my first MP experience and I will choose LA Jomon.

Since I'm really new, could any one some suggestion about the pretender design and scale setting? All the guide articles I found were for MA.

Thanks~:)

Admiral_Aorta April 11th, 2012 10:18 PM

I'd like to play Ermor if that's allowed, otherwide I'll try Bogarus.

dojango April 11th, 2012 10:59 PM

I'll try Pythium

Immaculate April 11th, 2012 11:52 PM

LA jomon: i tried an awake green dragon with dominion 9, luck and production scales and it was fun. You try to alchemize water gems as soon as you can then when you can, build a ring of water breathing and you send the dragon underwater.

dojango April 11th, 2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by himselfbh (Post 801394)

Since I'm really new, could any one some suggestion about the pretender design and scale setting? All the guide articles I found were for MA.

celestial general., get air and earth and he can be a pretty boss SC. in awesome gods he autocasts mass protection, making him a good backup for armies of samurai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feinne
The Celestial General:
Point Cost: 50
Base Dominion: 3
Magic Paths: Air 1, Earth 1, new paths cost 50
Special Abilities: Standard, Buffs Ally Armor in combat, Generates soldiers on the map screen
Item Slots: Two Hands, Head, Body, Feet, Two Miscellaneous
Feinne’s Notes: This is a pretty cool guy here, he has alright magic paths and he generates cavalry and tower shield troops every turn. He also casts Mass Protection in battle at the start, which can be really nice. Like a lot of titan-type chassis, he’s probably not able to expand solo without gear. Expect to see him awake to leverage his freespawn.

Legendary League April 12th, 2012 12:21 AM

Where do you get these notes, by the way?

himselfbh April 12th, 2012 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dojango (Post 801408)
Quote:

celestial general., get air and earth and he can be a pretty boss SC. in awesome gods he autocasts mass protection, making him a good backup for armies of samurai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feinne
The Celestial General:
Point Cost: 50
Base Dominion: 3
Magic Paths: Air 1, Earth 1, new paths cost 50
Special Abilities: Standard, Buffs Ally Armor in combat, Generates soldiers on the map screen
Item Slots: Two Hands, Head, Body, Feet, Two Miscellaneous
Feinne’s Notes: This is a pretty cool guy here, he has alright magic paths and he generates cavalry and tower shield troops every turn. He also casts Mass Protection in battle at the start, which can be really nice. Like a lot of titan-type chassis, he’s probably not able to expand solo without gear. Expect to see him awake to leverage his freespawn.

OK,thank you. I will try The Celestial General~

Amhazair April 12th, 2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendary League (Post 801320)
Holy mother of g-

I'd love to play, I'm just not certain I'm at an adequate skill level to not get instantly murderized. :p

If you're in doubt yourself I would advice you to bow out, even though there's several newer people showing intrest. Out of principle I've never wanted to stop newer players to jump straight in and learn the hard way, but you will get "instantly murderized", as you put it, and there's only so many people who can translate that into a fun learning experience.

Quote:

Same suggestion here. I won't turn away new people just because they are new, but if you start out without even an idea about pretender design, I don't think you should be looking to start in a game involving veteran players and weird mods. Better experiment in a newbie game, and start in a regular game only if you're relatively confident you know what you're doing. (Even if only from reading stuff/playing SP - as I said I don't mind new players jumping into the deep end, but they better know how to stay afloat, even if they won't win the 100m freestyle, if you get my drift.) On top of that Jomon really is a tricky nation, requires some finesse to do well with. To the extent that I myself have looked at them a couple of times because they're kinda cool, but so far haven't come up with a pretender design I'm happy enough with to bring 'em into MP. Just saying...(Useful but not especially powerful troops, but mainly due to having diverse but low-power mages. They do require some understanding of and plan for how to "climb" to higher paths levels through forging and summoning to do well with.)

For both of you and any other new people who are intrested: I'd be more than happy to help you setup a newbie game, with or without these mods if you like. (I would advice to get to know the 'regular' game first, either vanilla, or with only the CBM mod most games on this forum use, but if you really want to try these ones out that's fine by me.) Feel free to PM me about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral_Aorta (Post 801398)
I'd like to play Ermor if that's allowed, otherwide I'll try Bogarus.

Sure, Ermor's fine with me. I don't like them in no-diplomacy games, but in regular game's they're welcome as far as I'm concerned. You sure you can stand the Micro though? :)

Admiral_Aorta April 12th, 2012 06:37 AM

I played them once before in a ForbiddenFriendship game and enjoyed it, though I got double teamed by Marignon and Mictlan. I think I'll go for a different pretender this time, though I did like the lord of the gates.

Amhazair April 12th, 2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Executor (Post 801369)
Amhazair, perhaps you should open a separate thread over on the other forum for recruitment. A lot of players stick to either one or the other forum.

I suppose I'll go do just that. Mumble, grumble. Stupid double forums, making people work and sweat and all instead of comming over and reading my post over here, don't they know I only write important stuff and they all should daily come check my profile to see if I started a new tread or something?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valerius (Post 801379)
Edit: Also, I know you like larger games but it's a bit easier to try something different in a smaller game than in one that may go on a long time and you could be stuck with mods/settings you don't like.

That's not a bad point, but as you so kindly pointed out, I prefer larger games. (Allthough I deliberatly set this one at less than full size, but still not what you can call a small game.) And I can remember that for the longest time I'd never have considered jumping into a game (of any size) with "some crazy mods I don't know anything about", so I sympathize with anyone else who thinks that. I'm really not sure when that changed, currently whenever someone suggests a mod my first thought is "sure, throw it in, we'll see how it works out and I'll figure out what works and what doesn't while playing."

Amhazair April 12th, 2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral_Aorta (Post 801428)
I played them once before in a ForbiddenFriendship game and enjoyed it, though I got double teamed by Marignon and Mictlan. I think I'll go for a different pretender this time, though I did like the lord of the gates.

Yeah, chances of being double-teamed increase drastically when playing Ermor, so that might happen this time around too. :D

Was that on the SA forums then, or have there been games with this line of mods organised here too?

Admiral_Aorta April 12th, 2012 06:56 AM

We had one game on Dom3Mods, though it didn't finish because of several players going AWOL. Despite me getting mostly killed I managed to escape to an island and set up a secret lair.

jotwebe April 12th, 2012 10:12 AM

LA Abysia, awesomest Abysia. I would like to preside over the burning ones final defeat :D

skymoon April 12th, 2012 10:47 AM

So....how many members now?
Can't help waiting for the MP. HiaHia:D

himselfbh April 12th, 2012 10:57 AM

Hi Amhazair, count me in. LA Jomon.

Valerius April 12th, 2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amhazair (Post 801430)
That's not a bad point, but as you so kindly pointed out, I prefer larger games. (Allthough I deliberatly set this one at less than full size, but still not what you can call a small game.)

Yes, well, right after I posted that three people signed up so never mind my comments. :) Have a fun game - I'll be interested to read people's feedback about the mods.

Ossa April 12th, 2012 04:12 PM

I'd like to join with Utgard.

Amhazair April 12th, 2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by himselfbh (Post 801451)

Well, if you're certain, you're certain,

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotwebe (Post 801447)
LA Abysia, awesomest Abysia. I would like to preside over the burning ones final defeat :D

Welcome to one

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ossa (Post 801480)
I'd like to join with Utgard.

And all.

Admiral_Aorta April 12th, 2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Actualy there was someone who claimed Jomon over on dom3mods, I think they beat you to it.

Amhazair April 12th, 2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral_Aorta (Post 801507)
Quote:

Actualy there was someone who claimed Jomon over on dom3mods, I think they beat you to it.

Nah, Himselfbh had allready asked for Jomon before, (Post 16 in the thread) I just hadn't put him down for it yet, asking him if he was certain he wanted in first.

Unfortunately for Kakarotto that means he's the one who will have to choose another nation, I allready PM'd him about it.

TheDemon April 14th, 2012 10:38 AM

Hi there. I maintain OPM. One note, OPM fixes mod compatibility bugs but it does NOT fix mod compatibility balance (that's what FF is for). Currently the go-to mod compatibility exploit is to use CBM's cheap GoR and Possession on certain freespawn from AE's pretenders, notably Mother of Tuatha's Tuatha freespawn. I highly, highly recommend you ban this in a house rule.

edit: Oh, and on the mods. There are actually a LOT of stuff in them that should feel familiar to anyone who plays CBM.

AG was originally based on CBM pretenders, but makes pretty much everything MORE powerful. It makes god pick just as central to strategy as nation pick, in my opinion.
Still, there are some pretenders that are purely CBM.

AE is originally based on EDM, so there are all the classic EDM summons. Some of them are juiced up slightly (and the Zmey is nerfed into the ground. kind of a metagame nerf, but we overused it horribly on Something Awful). The key difference in AE however, are the abundance of good-path mage summons. The Wraith Lord, Tarrasque, and Kraken are diversity machines. All the Royalty have super high paths. This means wide path access is much easier in the lategame compared to EDM/CBM.

edit2: The OPM site is actually here https://sites.google.com/site/dominionsenhancedmod/home but it doesn't matter because the proactiveapathy mirror is basically always up-to-date and you can find the mods individually there and the individual mods have patch notes in the .dm

don_Pablo April 15th, 2012 05:30 AM

Midgard for me, please

Amhazair April 15th, 2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDemon (Post 801656)
Hi there. I maintain OPM. One note, OPM fixes mod compatibility bugs but it does NOT fix mod compatibility balance (that's what FF is for). Currently the go-to mod compatibility exploit is to use CBM's cheap GoR and Possession on certain freespawn from AE's pretenders, notably Mother of Tuatha's Tuatha freespawn. I highly, highly recommend you ban this in a house rule.

Thanks for the heads up on this, and I propose we do exactly that. I've added this to the OP. (Another option would be to mod back Gift of Reason to the vanilla cost, but I really like it to be cheaper, opens up some nice options, so adopting this as a house rule sounds better to me.)

Amhazair April 15th, 2012 09:33 AM

So there's 14 of us now, so I guess we're set to start. To give everyone plenty of time to figure out the new mods and finalise settings & map I propose we set the start for next weekend for now. (And if someone else signs up in the meantime we can still accomodate them.)

As for the exact settings, since no one commented on them yet I guess we take everything standard as proposed in the OP. With this combination of newer players and veterans I say we keep graphs on too, even though my personal preference is to play without graphs. Last question for me remains: Do we use the standard LA site frequency (35) or do we want a bit more to try out the fun AE changes? Most votes have it, if no one reacs I'll leave it at 35.

Anyone Have a good map in mind? I'd say anywhere between 180 and 220 provinces, with not too much water since R'lyeh doesn't play. Cradle of Dominion is an option, long time since I used that one, but I'm open to other suggestions. Riverlands possibly, allthough that one's is slightly larger.

Soyweiser April 15th, 2012 11:35 AM

Is this still open? I would like to play with Gath if it is.

(Odd, the otherpeoples mod does some very strange things to certain stuff, some of the gath boosts are missing, why not use forbidden friendship. Wow, gath really sucks with this mod (as it doesn't get any of the forbidden friendship boosts (cheaper temples, and a bonus blood on the kohen) Without ff I think I will have to pass on this one).

krpeters April 15th, 2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valerius (Post 801379)
The overall impression I get is that these mods ramp up the power level, particularly on the SC side of things. My preference is to tone things down and SCs are my least favorite part of the game so it's not really my cup of tea but I think this could be a fun game for people who do like SCs (which is likely a majority).

I just wanted to second this thought. I would prefer to see a mod which made thugs and midgame magic more powerful and SCs less terrifying.

Amhazair April 15th, 2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soyweiser (Post 801762)
Is this still open? I would like to play with Gath if it is.

(Odd, the otherpeoples mod does some very strange things to certain stuff, some of the gath boosts are missing, why not use forbidden friendship. Wow, gath really sucks with this mod (as it doesn't get any of the forbidden friendship boosts (cheaper temples, and a bonus blood on the kohen) Without ff I think I will have to pass on this one).

Odd things? OPM is just CBM + AG + AE, nothing more, nothing less. A quick check reveals no differences with CBM to me. (Though feel free to point it out if I missed something)

I deliberatly stayed away from Forbidden Friendship, specifically since it does make a lot of balance changes I didn't want to trawl through to see if I agreed with them or not, as well as not wanting everyone else unfamiliar with the mod to assimilate them.

You are of course very welcome if you still want to join, with Gath or another nation, but I have no intention of introducing the FF mod into the game at this point.

Edit: Also, StMika over on the Dom3mods forum prefers a more common site frequency settings (he proposed 55) as well as the riverlands map. Just adding this to get opinions rolling.

Executor April 15th, 2012 12:37 PM

I'm always up for a bit more gems with experimental mods, so my vote's for 45.

jotwebe April 15th, 2012 12:56 PM

Whoa, 55? I'd be ok with 45, or anything less.

Soyweiser April 15th, 2012 05:14 PM

Damn, without FF my game tactic kinda fails.

A what the hell, sign me up. Lets fail spectacular then :D

But please, pick a map with at least a few wastelands, else one of my national blood spells won't work. :D

Amhazair April 15th, 2012 06:27 PM

Allrighty, glad you're in. I've seen you post all over the place obviously, but I don't think we've ever been in the same game together, have we?

The Riverlands map that has been propsed does have some wastaland provinces, but feel free to suggest alternatives. (The last game I played was on the riverlands map, so while it would probably fit us perfectly, I most definitely won't mind playing on any other map. ;) )

Executor April 15th, 2012 07:17 PM

Re: Awestruck. New Late Age game. (Finalising Settings)

Why do I feel like I slightly inspired you to take Gath? ;)

Soyweiser April 16th, 2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Executor (Post 801795)
Why do I feel like I slightly inspired you to take Gath? ;)

No comment :D

@Amhazair,

I think we have been in a game once, in my noob, bad player, wanker days. I think I disappeared in that game :( sorry about that. Will not happen here.

Amhazair April 16th, 2012 01:18 PM

Allright, taking all the received opinions and shaking them through my Advanced Equanimity Algorithm for Superior Game Admins (TM) I've come to the conclusion this game will be played on the Riverlands map with all settings standard (including graphs on) except with a site frequency of 45. (And HoF 15 obviously) Any last minute objections should be forwarded to me in tripple copies by registred letter. (Or posted in this thread.) Barring unforseen delays I will then put up the game tomorrow so everyone can submit pretenders at their leisure.

One insignificantly tiny minor detail though... When people talk about 'the' Riverlands map, which map do they mean? (I only played on a version with fixed start positions for one specific game before.) This one? (And if so why are the map file and image called Crown5 and is there no map on the Llamaserver with that name yet?)

Amhazair April 17th, 2012 01:53 PM

Re: Awestruck. New Late Age game. (Upload Pretenders)

Allrighty, the game is up on the Llamaserver. Feel free to upload your pretenders when ready. (No rush though, as I've said and repeated several times, make sure you're comfortable with your pretender design including these mods before starting.) I myself am still dithering between builds too. (Big bless, small bless, no bless? Full rainbow for diversity, just a couple of extra paths to help out key areas? good scales, mediocre scales, poor scales? All viable options for the cutest frog-eskimo's in the history of gaming and also in the history of everything ever.)