.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   TO&Es (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Lewis gun higher accuracy than Bren? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=42995)

runequester May 1st, 2009 12:40 AM

Lewis gun higher accuracy than Bren?

Just started a Brit long campaign, and I bought some of the colonial infantry for flavour.When I was looking at their stats, I noticed that their Lewis guns have 1 higher Accuracy than the Bren gun. Isn't this out of whack, given that the Bren was almost too accurate for its role, or does accuracy cover something other than what I think, mechanically?

Mobhack May 1st, 2009 06:21 AM

Re: Lewis gun higher accuracy than Bren?

Quote:

Originally Posted by runequester (Post 688718)
Just started a Brit long campaign, and I bought some of the colonial infantry for flavour.When I was looking at their stats, I noticed that their Lewis guns have 1 higher Accuracy than the Bren gun. Isn't this out of whack, given that the Bren was almost too accurate for its role, or does accuracy cover something other than what I think, mechanically?

Something for the to be investigated pile for next year's data update exercise.

Cheers
Andy

DRG May 1st, 2009 08:41 AM

There's nothing to investigate. Both weapons use the same .303 ammo and the Lewis gun's barrel is 1.5 inches longer than a Bren and under the accuracy calcs we use that gives the Lewis 1 higher accuracy.

Lewis Gun — Barrel Length: 26.5 in = 26.5 / .303 /4 = 21.86 = 22 ACC

Bren Gun — Barrel Length: 25 in = 25 / .303 / 4 = 20.62 = 21 ACC

Don

runequester May 1st, 2009 10:32 AM

Ah. So its all based off a formula then? Interesting.

It does make it sort of an odd situation, since it makes the bren an inferior weapon to the lewis gun. The other factors (reliability) arent applicable here.

Mobhack May 1st, 2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runequester (Post 688762)

It does make it sort of an odd situation, since it makes the bren an inferior weapon to the lewis gun. The other factors (reliability) arent applicable here.

BREN has a 30 round box magazine, Lewis a 57(?) round drum. You pays your money and takes your choices.

Cheers
Andy

runequester May 1st, 2009 02:01 PM

Thats true. But I guess thats factors that arent really applicable to SP.
Anyways, now I understand how the numbers are figured out. Thanks!

troopie May 2nd, 2009 01:02 PM

The Bren is lighter and doesn't jam as much. At least that's what I heard

troopie

JohnHale May 3rd, 2009 09:28 AM

Into the arcane world of the Lewis Gun, the normal infantry version had a 47-rd drum: for airborne use by the RFC/RNAS a 97-rd drum was developed.

DRG May 4th, 2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runequester (Post 688762)

It's an ACCURACY rating that's why it deals with ACCURACY and not "other factors" as you specifically asked why it had a ....."1 higher Accuracy than the Bren gun".

Don

Dreadnought May 12th, 2009 08:54 PM

Well, I always thought the Lewis gun was about the coolest looking LMG ever made, so I'm content :D