.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Killing mages in the back (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44246)

ghoul31 October 31st, 2009 11:09 AM

Killing mages in the back

What is the best way to kill mages in the back of the army?
When i send flying units to attack the rear, they don't make it all the way to to back

llamabeast October 31st, 2009 11:41 AM

Re: Killing mages in the back

It's intentionally very difficult (mages would be useless if they were easy to pick off).

One very powerful approach is whole-battlefield spells, like Earthquake or Rain of Stones.

Foodstamp October 31st, 2009 12:42 PM

You can also equip your own commanders with a ranged weapon and aiming items. Then set him to "Fire Rear" or "Fire at Large Monsters" if they are using mages who have high hit points in relation to the other units on the field. I used this tactic one time against a guy playing Kailasa and he publicly called me a cheater :angel. Many of the bow/crossbow weapons work well for this and normally have cool secondary effects. If your commander has access to air and/or nature magic you can increase his precision further with "eagle eye" (I think this is the name of the nature spell.) and "aim".

Redeyes October 31st, 2009 03:06 PM

I also think that works pretty well, Foodstamp. You are right on the names :p

If you can get the proper resistance wrathful skies/heat from hell and other battlefield enchantments are pretty efficient at taking out weak commanders like mages usually are. They aren't immediately effective, but if you set your army up so it holds back in the back row you can easily win a long range war of attrition. Caelum is especially good at this, but other air nations should be able to do it pretty well too.

Maerlande October 31st, 2009 05:50 PM

Rain works on fire mages. Fatigue them out and they can't run away.

Gandalf Parker October 31st, 2009 07:49 PM

Think of "attack rearmost" as being a line of sight problem. Its not, but it helps to think of it that way. The units have trouble deciding who "rearmost" refers to if they cant see them.

I like to set units such as knights or bears off to the sides (place them "low" in the image for assigning positions). Then put them on "hold and attack, rearmost". If I have enough of them then they will spread out along the side of the attacking army with some reaching into the rear. It also helps to have a group placed far on te other flank (high on the positioning square) with orders to attack rear but without the wait. They draw the enemy army up toward them giving more open room for the later rear-attackers to get past them on the other flank.

Also its handy to have lots of flyers attack archers. Archers are often placed in the rear. After the archers are dead then the flyers might move on to the commanders.

If you have an army which fatigues easily such as Ulm with heavy armor, then you might position them in the middle with hold instructions. Force the enemy to come to them and then wait for the rear attackers to do their job.

Lingchih October 31st, 2009 08:07 PM

Or you can steal the Fire Commanders script from Bogus's archer hero.

Whoops! Did I just say that. Nevermind.

TwoBits November 1st, 2009 02:41 AM

I might be wrong, but I think I've seen Bladewind go for groups of mages in the rear, as opposed to the heavy infantry up front. Does Bladewind try to target more "vulnerable" units, if in range? Are there other spells like that?

thejeff November 1st, 2009 08:29 AM

The spell evaluation pays a lot of attention to how much damage the spell is likely to do. So, if they're in range, a spell like Blade Wind is likely to do more damage to a group of unarmored mages than to closer heavy infantry.

ghoul31 November 1st, 2009 08:47 AM

Blade wind seems to target random , large groups. It doesn't target less armored troops specificially.