.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Multiplayer and AARs (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Legendary Ordeals - Isokron Wins! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44851)

Burnsaber February 5th, 2010 06:00 PM

Legendary Ordeals - Isokron Wins!

2 Attachment(s)
Game is up on llamaserver!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pantokrator

I have sent this message to the most powerful of my servants. I hereby declare that I'm growing weary of ruling this creation of mine. I'm going to leave this plane for another place of being and create a new and better world.

However, as rotten and dreadful this plane is, I will not leave it without a guardian. You are now pretenders and will compete against each other to be next Pantokrator - ultimate ruler of this realm. The stakes are high for losers will be thrown into Tartarus for eternal suffering! However, I know that you just might have what it takes to sit on the Throne of the World and saw you fitting of receiving this message.

As you slay each other in the fields of battle, you can request boons from me, if you feel that you're worthy enough! I'll also test your mettle from time to time by ordeals. Do you have the strenght to win the Arena? Or are you pure enough to avoid the judgement of my Maidens of Vengeance? Rise to power! Muster your minions! My throne awaits!

THE ASCENSION WARS HAVE BEGUN!

Okay, time for another one of my "crazy" games. In this game, I'll be playing the role of a Pantakrator, looking for a successor. We will be playing with a special mod that gives the Pantokrator player all sorts crazy tools to affect the game (within certain limits). I'll give an extensive list below;

PANTOKRATOR:

-> Will start in a island in the middle of the map with no neighbours
-> Attacking Pantokrator's provinces is not allowed unless otherwise stated
-> Will have the "Eyes of God" casted from turn 2 with ridicilious amount of gems. Casting the "Fate of Oedipus" is forbidden

ORDEALS

-> Ordeal will come each 5 turns. These ordeals can be nearly anything. Commencing of Arena, Demands for sacrifice, castings of certain globals (like Ghost Armada or the Kindly Ones) or the release of wild beasts. Some ordeals can be positive. These events will be annoying, but not gamebreaking. I'll also be sure that the events are fair, in the sense they will either affect all players equally or have an equal chance of affecting of each player (in the case of an ordeal that hits a random province).
-> I will give a RP description of the Ordeal in-game, but post a "gameplay" version using metagame terms here in this thread.

GENERAL

-> Because there is a hard-coded limit on messages that one is able to send per turn, I will keep in-game messaging to a minimum. I'll inform of Ordeals with the "Message all command", thought. So I'm forced to do a lot of my diplo through these forums. So remember to check your PM's regularly!

-> I'd like everyone to note that I'm playing two roles here. I'm Burnsaber, the game admin, but I'm also Pantokrator. Note that these are not the same thing. Pantokrator has no grudges that Burnsaber has, for example. In return, you should not hold grudges against Burnsaber for what Pantokrator has done. When I'm talking as Burnsaber, I'll just use this regular text. But Pantokrator speaks like this:

Quote:

I'm the Pantokrator, bow before me you worm!

-> I know that the most devious of you are planning to attack Pantakrator in the game, perhaps just for MP reasons. Let's now just agree that it REALLY is forbidden. Not because I'm on a power trip of some sort, but it will make my life a lot simpler. My investment in this game will be rather large, since I need to micro up the ordeals and deal with a lot of diplomacy. I just won't have time to strat microing combat scripts to boot. This is the first game like this and I want to keep it as simple as possible, perhaps in Ordeals II "defeating Pantokrator" will be a victory condition (or even remotely plausible).

BOONS

-> Boon is a numeric value between 1-12. Starting boon values in this game are between 4-10.

-> Players can only request one boon per "event cycle" (aka 5 turns), this is to prevent a player suddenly jumping in power because they used 5 boons in one big swoop.

-> There are five (now six) types of boons (more will be introduced with ordeals, thought):
1. Items
2. Gems
3. Gold
4. Information
5. Casting of a Ritual Spell
6. Starting Arena Deathmatch (enabled since turn 13), this costs two boon and can only be used once per event cycle.

-> The more specific the reguest for a boon is, the less gems/items/gold will be given or more boon will be penalized. For example;

"I'd like magical items as a boon to defeat my foes!"

- Will get a bunch of randomized items. Something like 2 trinkets, 2 (con2) items and 1 (con4) item + a chance for a con6 item.

"I'd like items that give fire resistance to defeat Abysia!"

- Will get some FR items, but less items than the above example

"I want Rings of Fire!"

- Will get his Rings, but it will cost more boon because of his insolence. How dare he demand something from Pantokrator!

-> Once per event cycle, I will roll for a random player and grant him a boon. This "extra boon" does not count towards the limit stated above. This will make it harder to be "safe" with just 1 boon.

-> If player reguests for a boon or would get one due to the RND roll, but has no boon, he will be warned. Should this happen again, he will be smitten by appropiate measures (nothing too dramatic thought, getting smitten will be annoying, not game changing)

-> The tables I use to determine the amount of gems/items/gold for each boon will be upgraded every 20 turns to yield out more stuff.

-> Due to message limit, I'm only able to send 20 messages (a'k'a instances of items/gems/gold) per turn. If I'm going to hit the message limit, I'll leave the rest to be sent the next turn.

-> If the request for a boon is too outrageous (like requesting for a RoW's and other high end items or high end remote rituals), I will grant a random boon instead (with the penalty boon normally associated with "specific requests"). "Insolent Fool, you know nothing! Here is what you shall receive!". Note though that I will upgrade the boon tables every 20 turns. A reguest that would be "outrageous" on turn 16 might be reasonable on turn 66.

ARENA

-> We are using "Mark of the Champion" mod, which changes the Champion's Tridents into a special helmet, this will make it a much more worthile item. Also having control over the Arena Champion is worth one conquest point, if the champion in question has no magic picks (holy magic does not count as "magic" for this purpose).

-> Winning the arena is always worth 1 bonus boon.

Settings

Era: All

Players: As many as possible, hopefully at least 9 land players and 2 water player. We can fit 10 land and 2 water players (not counting the Pantokrator)

Settings: Renaming on, HoF 15, otherwise normal for MA

Mods: Compilation mod from this post and the single-age mod.

Diplomacy:
1) Machievellian. The Pantokrator will be pleased by blood and (in-character) drama.

Map: Land of Ordeals, downloadable from this post.

Other rules
1) Don't be an smartass and attack Pantokrator. It will not end well.
2) No filling of enemy labs or copying Bogus orders. Everything else is free game.
3) You can contact Pantokrator by forum PM's, e-mail to "burnsaber (at) hotmail (dot) com" or occasionally in IrC.
4) Fight to the bitter end! Or at least try to find a sub if you're not having fun or have the time anymore.
5) Upon sign up, you must write the word "Pantokrator" in your sign-up post (no context needed) or your sign up will be ignored until you do so. Consider this as a test for me to know that you have read the rules and understand what you are signing up for.

Hosting:
hosting will be slower than normal for this game, to give me the time I need to prepare for events and to deal with reguests for boons.

30h for turns 1-25
48h for turns 26-60
72h after turn 60

Delays granted on request.

Victory Condition:

1) Holding control over 5 "Conquest Points" for 3 consecutive turns
- Each capitol you control is worth a Conquest Point
- Having control of the Arena Champion is also worth a conquest point, if the champion has no magic picks.
- Conquest points can also be awarded from ordeals
2) Concensus from other players

------------------Players and their Conquest Points------------------

1. Burnsaber -- Pantokrator (admin) -- 0, cannot win
2. Trumanator -- LA C'tis -- 0 (IN TARTARUS)
3. Gregstrom -- MA R'lyeh -- 1
4. slMagnvox -- EA Ulm -- 0 (IN TARTARUS)
5. pyg -- EA Hinnom -- 0 (IN TARTARUS)
6. Aethyr -- EA T'ien C'hi -- 1
7. Lingchih -- MA Shinuyama -- 0 (IN TARTARUS)
8. Meglobob -- MA T'ien C'hi -- 3 (three capitals)
9. Kianduatha -- LA Jomon -- 1
10. Isokron -- EA Lanka -- 5 (five capitals)
11. Baalz (AI) -- LA Atlantis -- 1 (one capitals)
12. Sensori -- MA Ashdod -- 0 (IN TARTARUS)
13. GameExtremist -- EA Panganea -- 0 (IN TARTARUS)

Special thanks to vladikus and Agema for the mod and the idea.

Gregstrom February 5th, 2010 06:22 PM

Re: Legendary Ordeals - Recruiting

Oh great and lordly Pantokrator, this humble one pleads admission to this mighty contest as lord of the Ilithid hordes of R'lyeh, custodians of the Fallen Star.

If I might be so bold, could I also beg that the mods Holy War and Magic Sites be included?

slMagnvox February 5th, 2010 06:56 PM

This amuses us, Pantokrator!

Please include Enigma of Steel Ulm to the rolls!

pyg February 5th, 2010 11:49 PM

I'd like play. This sounds really cool concept wise and pretty crazy in terms of the modding.

I'd be happy to play with any/all of the mods suggested. I particularly like CPCS, Holy War, and Thugs.

I'd like to play Hinnom, because currently I'm just in love with this nation. I think Hinnom is one of the heavywieghts and am aware that just by choosing it I will probably invoke the wrath of the Pantokrator, or at least not his favor.

If all the players agreed to it, it might be interesting to post one of the Pantokrator's .trns (several to many turns old) every so often. This might be interesting to non-players as well.

Aethyr February 5th, 2010 11:59 PM

Interesting idea...hard to resist. I'll play. I'll choose a nation in a bit and inform the Pantokrator.

militarist February 6th, 2010 03:08 AM

I want Ashdod.
It will be my 3d MP, 2 others are just started as well, so it will not be hard to balance :)

Lingchih February 6th, 2010 04:15 AM

Hinnom and Ashdod in the same game? How odd. How will they work out their differences.

But no CBM? That seems foolish.

Burnsaber February 6th, 2010 04:18 AM

Also, I'd like to specify a bit what the "boon" system entails. I'm currently in the process of creating charts which will state how many gems/items or gold I will give in each boon. Since I'm a tabletop RPG veteran, many different kind dice will be rolled to determine the final amount and type.

The more specific the reguest for a boon is, the less gems/items/gold will be given or more boon will be penalized. For example;

- Will get a bunch of randomized items. Something like 2 trinkets, 2 (con2) items and 1 (con4) item + a chance for a con6 item.

"I want Rings of Fire!"

- Will get his Rings, but it will cost more boon because of his insolence. How dare he demand something from Pantokrator!

I'll also document each boon I give and release the charts & information at the end of the game.

I'm also going to make a plan of what each ordeal entails before the game starts. This is for fairness's sake, so that the events in the game won't affect the ordeals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyg (Post 730170)
If all the players agreed to it, it might be interesting to post one of the Pantokrator's .trns (several to many turns old) every so often. This might be interesting to non-players as well.

It's possible. Anyways, I'll be sure to document my .trn files. I also might give a player acceess to one of my older .trn files as a boon (heavy intel).

Quote:

Originally Posted by militarist (Post 730183)
I want Ashdod.
It will be my 3d MP, 2 others are just started as well, so it will not be hard to balance :)

You might want to read the first post again. There is a "magic word" you need to write in your sign-up post. I know it's sort of stupid, but some while ago we had a problem with players signing up for games before reading the rules, hence the password system.

Burnsaber February 6th, 2010 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingchih (Post 730185)
Hinnom and Ashdod in the same game? How odd. How will they work out their differences.

But no CBM? That seems foolish.

*Cough*

Quote:

Originally Posted by From OP
Mods: Compilation mod with all the necessary mods will be made. So far, it will include CBM 1.6, DBS (mod that disables game-winning bonus sites) and a GM mod.

Lingchih February 6th, 2010 04:22 AM

Gack!. Give me Shin. I don't have time for this game, but I can't resist it.
Pantokrator be damned.

Burnsaber February 6th, 2010 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingchih (Post 730188)
Gack!. Give me Shin. I don't have time for this game, but I can't resist it.
Pantokrator be damned.

Well, the hosting times are slightly longer than normally, so that I can deal with the reguests for boons and prepare Ordeals.

Meglobob February 6th, 2010 05:14 AM

Should resist joining but unusual settings too tempting...:doh:

Oh great and mighty Panktokrator can you grant your humble servant MA T'ien C'hi?

I like all your mod selections except banning spells, why bother when playing with CBM?

militarist February 6th, 2010 06:27 AM

Pantokrator :)

Aethyr February 6th, 2010 06:44 AM

I'll take EA TC. Thanks

kianduatha February 6th, 2010 06:54 AM

Now this is just getting silly. To continue the trend of people picking earlier/later ages of the same nations, I'll go for Jomon.

Most honored Pantokrator, would you be so kind as to use CPCS?

Burnsaber February 6th, 2010 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kianduatha (Post 730202)
Now this is just getting silly. To continue the trend of people picking earlier/later ages of the same nations, I'll go for Jomon.

I too have noted this trend. I will include Streamers & Standards in the compilation mod to avoid the presence of two nations with the same flag.

Aethyr February 6th, 2010 07:54 AM

Thank you o wise and powerful Pantokrator, we would not want to be confused with our inferior followers from a later age.

Isokron February 6th, 2010 09:55 AM

To avoid giving our hardworking pantokrator any more multiage confusion I will take Lanka.

cleveland February 6th, 2010 12:56 PM

What a neat idea. All kinds of cool ordeals come to mind, with varying levels of cooperation needed from neighbors/Pantokrator:

Walk Upon Burning Coals
Win a battle under the Heat from Hell BE.

Leap of Faith
Cloud trapeze/teleport a commander into a specific province and survive the ensuing battle.

Wrestle a Gator
Have an un-equiped commander kill a Bog Beast in melee combat.

The Ring of Fire
Conquer a province using only Fire Bolas. No damage of any other kind is permitted.

Tame a Lion

Obtain a Kithaironic Lion by whatever means possible.

Swim Shark Infested Waters
Have a non-amphibious commander survive combat under the Shark Attack BE. Oh, and he's gotta kill at least 1 shark.

Baptism by Fire
Kill a Fire Elemental with an indy priest.

40 Days and 40 Nights
Defeat an enemy army with nothing but starving units.

Vision Quest
Traverse a lone commander to a distant province, and have him return safely home.

Climb the Highest Peak
Obtain a fortress in a true mountain province.

Save a Virgin
Defeat an enemy such that at least 1 of his blood slaves is left on the field.

Slay a Dragon
Self explanatory. Drakes don't count.

:D

Baalz February 6th, 2010 05:12 PM

Arr, I reckon its about high time for LA Atlantis to rack up a win for the hall of fame and these be pirate toads. Hide yer booty boys, as I'm taking to the seas and none of your holds or womenfolk are safe. I intend to be the next Pantokrator and shall build fresh ships from the bones of these presumptuous giants. At the risk of sounding like a boot licking land lubber I must say I'm impressed with the Pantokrators cleverness, this will be a contest to remember!

kianduatha February 6th, 2010 05:43 PM

Re: Legendary Ordeals. Recruiting (1 land player and 1 water player)

Something tells me the seas are going to be crowded.

militarist February 6th, 2010 09:31 PM

Where is my Ashdod, o , Mighty Pantokrator?

militarist February 7th, 2010 01:09 AM

Burnsaber... I'd like to notice that Holy War, idea of which is really great (it's so painful to have ) rebalance the game quite strong ,and some nations which have best priests get a really good boost by this mode. If all games you boon base on, would be played with this mod, we would have a very different statistics. What do you think?

Lingchih February 7th, 2010 01:20 AM

I'm not Lingchic, btw, Burn, I'm Lingchih.

sansanjuan February 7th, 2010 02:35 AM

Sticks and Stones will break your bones...

"...we sing the funniest love songs
to everyone we meet....
HEY HEY we're Bandar Log
People say our PD sucks
we're too busy-a sing'n
to put anybody down..."

Bandar please (but don't tell the wife I joined another game)
-ssj

militarist February 7th, 2010 03:28 AM

And I vote for CPCS, btw, would be fun to try it. The game is going to be quite Crazy anyway, so it will just add some new feelings :)

GameExtremist February 7th, 2010 06:59 AM

Re: Legendary Ordeals. Full (Organizing)

The forests are the natural place for the next Pantokrator to be born and thus EA Pangaea shall take part in this contest of Pantokratoredness.

Burnsaber February 7th, 2010 07:57 AM

Re: Sticks and Stones will break your bones...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansanjuan (Post 730305)
to everyone we meet....
HEY HEY we're Bandar Log
People say our PD sucks
we're too busy-a sing'n
to put anybody down..."

-ssj

As hilarious as your song was, it lacked the "magic word". I'm sorry about that, better luck next time!

Okay, the game is full. As soon as I get home on Monday, I'll finish up the list of Ordeals and then start working up the finishing ouches to the map and mod. And, since we only got 1,5 water players, I'll set four UW provinces as "low population" (and #nostart). This should give the UW players less of an ecomonic advantage.

Also, I decided to incorporate the "Mark of the Champion" mod into this game. It basically changes the "Champion's Trident" into a helmet, making it a lot more worthwhile item to have. I'm also thinking of enforcing a rule of "no-mages" (priests okay thought) when it comes into arena fights, to prevent obvious chassises from dominating it. Opinions?

On the mod front, this the current tally up (with 12 players a mod needs 6 or more votes for it. Negative vote counteracts a positive vote):

Code:

Holy War +(pyg) +(gregstrom) +(Meglobob) (+++)
CPCS +(pyg) +(Meglobob) +(Kianduatha) +(militarist) (++++)
FW Thugs +(pyg) +(Meglobob) (++)
Magic site mod +(gregstrom) +(Meglobob) -(Trumanator) (+)

If you want use your boon to get two votes on a single mod, just PM me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by militarist (Post 730298)
Burnsaber... I'd like to notice that Holy War, idea of which is really great (it's so painful to have ) rebalance the game quite strong ,and some nations which have best priests get a really good boost by this mode. If all games you boon base on, would be played with this mod, we would have a very different statistics. What do you think?

Hmm. I guess that you mean that the HoF wins are not accurate if we bring a HW into account, since a all of the HoF wins were played without Holy War? I kind of see your point, but the boost that HW gives is not that extreme as to affect nation balance so much (since it also considerably boosts the H access of many only H1 priest nations).

The current scheducle of the game:

Monday: Ordeals Done, present final rules.
Wednesday: Map and mod done, game up on llamaserver.
Saturday-Sunday: Start, if all pretenders are in..

sansanjuan February 7th, 2010 01:15 PM

Re: Sticks and Stones will break your bones...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansanjuan (Post 730305)
to everyone we meet....
HEY HEY we're Bandar Log
People say our PD sucks
we're too busy-a sing'n
to put anybody down..."

-ssj

Alas.. I did forget the magic word. I will have to swear-off drinking and posting (again). Have a great game all. The monkeys will have their day another day..
ssj

Baalz February 7th, 2010 01:55 PM

The salty dogs oh Atlantis be requestin some bottles o' grog as a boon from the Pantokrator, fer we're ready to hit the waves in search oh booty. We be needing some fresh hold slaves and seems giants would pull a fine oar. Or old Crusty Pete's been nagging me to get him a lizard cabin boy for years so maybe we'll be visitin the swamps. Then again, I have quite a taste for pickled squid monsters, I wonder what kind of bait to use on that hook...

Gregstrom February 7th, 2010 02:28 PM

Squid bait? Use clams. The squids are suffering serious withdrawal symptoms.

Aethyr February 7th, 2010 02:56 PM

I would like to add my vote for the following mods:

Holy War
CPCS
FW Thugs
Magic site mod
Standards & Streamers

militarist February 7th, 2010 08:20 PM

Mark of the Champion DBS (mod that disables game-winning bonus sites) and a GM mod

-links to these mods pls?

pyg February 7th, 2010 09:54 PM

Well Mister Pantokrator, if your passing grog out the fellas here in Hinnom could stand a drop. The weather has been a bit hot lately and little grog would be fine... sure do appreciate how the slaves dress this time of year. We are not so sure about our abilities at oar pulling but we got Ed practicing right now with arms and legs. Speaking of, it's dinner time!

Burnsaber February 8th, 2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aethyr (Post 730355)
I would like to add my vote for the following mods:

Holy War
CPCS
FW Thugs
Magic site mod
Standards & Streamers

I moved the mod-vote "tally up" counter to the first post. All of you have until wednesday to vote.

Quote:

Originally Posted by militarist (Post 730404)
Mark of the Champion DBS (mod that disables game-winning bonus sites) and a GM mod

-links to these mods pls?

I added link to the Mark of the Champion mod to the first post. As for the other mods:

DBS: Just disables some sites so that they cannot be randomly generated. If you want to download it, just follow my signature link. From the mod description:
"This mod disables vanilla school bonus sites, which possess at least one of the following: Alteration or Construction bonus of any level, Conjuration or Blood bonus of over 20, or other school bonus over 30."

GM mod: Is a special mod that grants the Pantokrator player free wishes, obsence summons and the like. It only affects me, so it's not that important for testing.

militarist February 8th, 2010 02:05 AM

Holy War -
CPCS + (said earlier)
FW Thugs -
Magic site mod -
Banned Spells +

Lingchih February 8th, 2010 02:34 AM

Holy War - yes
CPCS - yes
FW Thugs - yes
Magic site mod - yes
Standards & Streamers - yes

Lingchih February 8th, 2010 03:36 AM

The leaders of Shinuyama were gripped by fervent fevers, when last they posted. Of course we do not damn the Pantokrater, but embrace him, and all that he does while he remains in this world.

Burnsaber February 8th, 2010 01:02 PM

Okay, I've listed up the Ordeals. If I find willing 3rd parties, I might show them off to make sure that they are "fair".

I also updated the rules in the first post. I've put everything new below;

ORDEALS

-> Ordeal will come every 5 turns. (One in 1st turn, one in 6th, one in 11th, and so forth)
-> I will give a RP description of the Ordeal in-game, but post a "gameplay" version using metagame terms here in this thread.

GENERAL

-> Because there is a hard-coded limit on messages that one is able to send per turn, I will keep in-game messaging to a minimum. I'll inform of Ordeals with the "Message all command", thought. So I'm forced to do a lot of my diplo through these forums. So remember to check your PM's regularly!

-> I'd like everyone to note that I'm playing two roles here. I'm Burnsaber, the game admin, but I'm also Pantokrator. Note that these are not the same thing. Pantokrator has no grudges that Burnsaber has, for example. In return, you should not hold grudges against Burnsaber for what Pantokrator has done. When I'm talking as Burnsaber, I'll just use this regular text. But Pantokrator speaks like this:

Quote:

I'm the Pantokrator, bow before me you worm!

-> I know that the most devious of you are planning to attack Pantakrator in the game, perhaps just for MP reasons. Let's now just agree that it REALLY is forbidden. Not because I'm on a power trip of some sort, but it will make my life a lot simpler. My investment in this game will be rather large, since I need to micro up the ordeals and deal with a lot of diplomacy. I just won't have time to strat microing combat scripts to boot. This is the first game like this and I want to keep it as simple as possible, perhaps in Ordeals II "defeating Pantokrator" will be a victory condition (or even pausible).

BOONS

-> Boon is a numeric value between 1-12. Starting boon values in this game are between 4-10.

-> Players can only request one boon per "event cycle" (aka 5 turns), this is to prevent a player suddenly jumping in power because they used 5 boons in one big swoop.

-> There are five types of boons (more will be introduced with ordeals, thought):
1. Items
2. Gems
3. Gold
4. Information
5. Casting of a Ritual Spell

-> The more specific the reguest for a boon is, the less gems/items/gold will be given or more boon will be penalized. For example;

"I want Rings of Fire!"

-> Once per event cycle, I will roll for a random player and grant him a boon. This "extra boon" does not count towards the limit stated above. This will make it harder to be "safe" with just 1 boon.

-> If player reguests for a boon or would get one due to the RND roll, but has no boon, he will be warned. Should this happen again, he will be smitten by appropiate measures (nothing too dramatic thought, getting smitten will be annoying, not game changing)

-> The tables I use to determine the amount of gems/items/gold for each boon will be upgraded every 20 turns to yield out more stuff.

-> Due to message limit, I'm only able to send 20 messages (a'k'a instances of items/gems/gold) per turn. If I'm going to hit the message limit, I'll leave the rest to be sent the next turn.

ARENA

-> We are using "Mark of the Champion" mod, which changes the Champion's Trident into a special helmet, this will make it a much more wortwhile item. Also having control over the Arena Champion is worth one conquest point, if the champion in question has no magic picks (holy magic does not count as "magic" for this purpose).

Belac February 8th, 2010 01:20 PM

I would be interested in being a willing 3rd party in reviewing some of the ordeals.

Baalz February 8th, 2010 01:49 PM

I'm wondering if it might be good to have a limited set of rituals that can be requested as there are some really, really game changing stuff that otherwise opens up - like calling for an earth attack as you see somebody's pretender out site searching turn 5, or volcano eruptions on peoples cap or undoubtedly dozens of other nasty stuff that people will think of which are really not balanced to be dropped early.

Also, as you've implied that its possible to request specific items it might be a good idea to restrict a few of them like rings of wizardry, robe of the magi, elemental staffs, um maybe staff of storms. Even some lower research items might be a problem like soul contracts. Basically seems like boons should add some flavor but not really be game changers. Might be easy enough just to play it by ear and have the big guy fairly arbitrarily deny any request that seems likely to foul the whole contest he's running. Foolish peon! You must win this contest on your own strengths!

Burnsaber February 8th, 2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baalz (Post 730544)
I'm wondering if it might be good to have a limited set of rituals that can be requested as there are some really, really game changing stuff that otherwise opens up - like calling for an earth attack as you see somebody's pretender out site searching turn 5, or volcano eruptions on peoples cap or undoubtedly dozens of other nasty stuff that people will think of which are really not balanced to be dropped early.

Also, as you've implied that its possible to request specific items it might be a good idea to restrict a few of them like rings of wizardry, robe of the magi, elemental staffs, um maybe staff of storms. Even some lower research items might be a problem like soul contracts. Basically seems like boons should add some flavor but not really be game changers. Might be easy enough just to play it by ear and have the big guy fairly arbitrarily deny any request that seems likely to foul the whole contest he's running. Foolish peon! You must win this contest on your own strengths!

Right. I had notes of that sort, but forgot to write them. Added following to first post:

Quote:

-> If the request for a boon is too outrageous (like requesting for a RoW's and other high end items or high end remote rituals), I will grant a random boon instead (with the penalty boon normally associated with "specific requests"). (Insolent Fool, you know nothing! Here is what you shall receive!)
Note though that I will upgrade the boon tables every 20 turns. A reguest that would be "outrageous" on turn 16 might be reasonable on turn 66.

Maerlande has looked over the Ordeals and agreed with them once I did some small changes.

It is my sole intention that the boons and ordeals will be a "spice" in this game, not the main course. They alone will in no case determine the winner.

Isokron February 8th, 2010 03:40 PM

Wouldn't it be better for a arena victory to grant an extra boon instead of a conquest points? Otherwise the first tournaments wouldn't be worth very much but the later might decide the game.

Gregstrom February 8th, 2010 03:47 PM

How about both, then? It'd be quite fun to see the arena properly contested.

Baalz February 8th, 2010 04:02 PM

Hmm, also seems like winning via holding the arena champ would necessitate winning with him, then winning again as someone almost certainly would use boon to call for another arena fight in the 3 turns you've got to hold him. Still, winning while holding just 3 extra caps is a fairly low bar that might end the game just when things are getting interesting, maybe one more VP required for the win since it seems likely the winner will have the arena champ.

militarist February 8th, 2010 04:29 PM

Some ideas....

ORDEALS can be like quest, and as reword for it's completion, you can get direct - item, etc or indirect (boon points, which reflect how Pantokrator treats specific nation and then how it affects all future boons to this player) benefit. And they could be of different level of complexity ,and reward will be different.

In this case, Pantokrator would be able to give larger range of boons , for example HINNOM asks for HARD ORDEAL, saying I need something to swim for my army. That can be pretty good for Hinnom, if his capital has 2-3 water provinces around, and some dimoplacy...Anyway it can be gamechanging to give him that. So, understanding it (or just to improve quality of items, for example completed Easy ordeal gives lvl 0 item, normal lvl 2, hard level 4, impossible level 6 an it should depand on how easy or hard this ordeal for THIS SPEcific player, and how useful could be such iem for him). Rejection ot inability to complete it (for example - impossible ordeal can be - to get by war some provinces which are belong to stronger neighbor) can have or not have consiquences, regarding of Pantokrator decision.
Anyway, having a connection between ordeals and boons and ability to choose between levels of complexity would be good. It shouldn't be like negotiations, though.
Just player prays for what he wants - gift? Gift with easy ordeal(hoping to get better gift)? just ordeal to improve relations with god? For example, I finished a war and would like to devote the next war to my god, what should I do?

Burnsaber February 9th, 2010 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isokron (Post 730570)
Wouldn't it be better for a arena victory to grant an extra boon instead of a conquest points? Otherwise the first tournaments wouldn't be worth very much but the later might decide the game.

Good observation about the early game reward, getting a boon from winning from the Arena makes sense.

I'm not even sure if anyone will ever recieve the conquest point from the having the champion, because of the no-magic restriction. You only need one guy to bring along something like a Tart, Rudra or national high end mage to make all Bane Lords and the like simply evaraporate.

Also, after a certain point, players will be able to use boon to start the arena deathmatch (sorry about the spoiler, but it is necessary for this discussion). So basically, it will be very easy to take someone's Arena VP away. (reguest for the Arena and decimate the winner with a mage)

Although, I must say that I'm not the most experienced player in this game, so I might be missing something here in my logic. The conquest point from Arena can be replaced if players feel that it should go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baalz (Post 730576)
Hmm, also seems like winning via holding the arena champ would necessitate winning with him, then winning again as someone almost certainly would use boon to call for another arena fight in the 3 turns you've got to hold him. Still, winning while holding just 3 extra caps is a fairly low bar that might end the game just when things are getting interesting, maybe one more VP required for the win since it seems likely the winner will have the arena champ.

I'm not really worried about the game ending suddenly. There are very very few conquest point ordeals and they are really really hard. This game won't end like Dramatica, mostly because of the map. The ports make it relatively simple to reach all points of the map and ganging up on someone is really easy. Although, once again, I might be missing something.

Burnsaber February 10th, 2010 03:29 AM

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I wanted to read your post with tought, been busy lately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by militarist (Post 730580)
Some ideas....

ORDEALS can be like quest, and as reword for it's completion, you can get direct - item, etc or indirect (boon points, which reflect how Pantokrator treats specific nation and then how it affects all future boons to this player) benefit. And they could be of different level of complexity ,and reward will be different. In this case, Pantokrator would be able to give larger range of boons , for example HINNOM asks for HARD ORDEAL, saying I need something to swim for my army.

Intresting idea, but IMHO you should always strive to keep the rules as simple as possible, especially for a format already cluttered with rules such as this. Also, each ordeal that I have to design is more work for me and a potential balance problem (because each easy/hard/ etc.. ordeal would have to balanced against each other ordeal of the same type of the each nation).

Quote:

That can be pretty good for Hinnom, if his capital has 2-3 water provinces around, and some dimoplacy...Anyway it can be gamechanging to give him that. So, understanding it (or just to improve quality of items, for example completed Easy ordeal gives lvl 0 item, normal lvl 2, hard level 4, impossible level 6 an it should depand on how easy or hard this ordeal for THIS SPEcific player, and how useful could be such iem for him). Rejection ot inability to complete it (for example - impossible ordeal can be - to get by war some provinces which are belong to stronger neighbor) can have or not have consiquences, regarding of Pantokrator decision.

Well, there is a reason why I designed the Ordeals before the game even started. There is a variable that I want to eliminate and that variable is me. That's why I have made all these charts where I randomly roll for the stuff granted, that's why I will release all data I used at the end of the game. The fewer decisions I make on the spot, in the game, the less chance there is for me to favour some nation over another. It's very easy, for example, to grow symphatetic towards the underdog and favour him more. That would not be fair, it would the equivalent of that effing "hit-the-leader" shell in Mario Kart.

Hence, I rely on charts and dice instead of me. Charts and dice are fair 100%, I'm like only 90-95% fair at best. My years as a tabletop GM have taught me it's really easy to subconsiously make decisions that favour some player more than another, no matter how fair you are determined to be.

Quote:

For example, I finished a war and would like to devote the next war to my god, what should I do?

Your suggestion is quite thematic, but there is a problem with a player deciding what his ordeal would entail. Like in your example, what if the player is going to wage war in any case, but just wants to get some free favour while he's "at it", so to speak. Sure, the pantokrator could tailor it to be something more intresting, but see the problem of making a lot of "on spot" decision I detailed in the above paragraph.

Burnsaber February 10th, 2010 12:46 PM

Game is up on llamaserver!

Mod is downloadable from first post. Only CPCS made it through the voting. If you are not familiar with it, see this thread for complete list of spells it adds.

Map is downloadable from first post. I added fixed starts that are relatively fair (or at least more fair than random ones). I also fixed one port which seemed to lack port connections.

Arena rules & the amount of CP's needed for win are still contested, but otherwise the rules for the game are quite final.

Burnsaber February 10th, 2010 03:33 PM

I had to revise the mod and the map, twice, in order to work around the retarted version of single-age mod that llamaserver is using. If you downloaded any older versions, please download the new version and delete the old ones.

Basically I had to make my modded "pantokrator" nation overwrite Ma Man before llamaserver could accept it.