.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Blitzkrieg Banzai? (SP1 Conversion) (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=50700)

DRG April 23rd, 2021 08:43 AM

Re: Blitzkrieg Banzai? (SP1 Conversion)

2 Attachment(s)
Ryan

I know you said "This is a crude version 0.5 beta" it is remarkable that you have managed to resurrect it to this point but there are issues that may be too deep to fix and it might simply be easier in the long run to open and old one. Get a feel for what's needed then recreate it using the current game because chances are there are other gotchas like this lurking

I opened it up and poked around. The first thing I noticed was all the soft sand reports as clear terrain but the other issue might be too deep to fix.

I started the scenario and advanced a BDRM and it was fired on by a TOW Jeep

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/attac...1&d=1619181556

We have had trouble with message overwrites in the past but not so much lately and to check that I built a quick scenario with Egyptian BRDM's US Army TOW Jeeps and this is the message shown

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/attac...1&d=1619181705

Just FYI

MarkSheppard April 23rd, 2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 850137)
I opened it up and poked around. The first thing I noticed was all the soft sand reports as clear terrain but the other issue might be too deep to fix.

I started investigating this and my original hypothesis was that it was an issue with Fred's old SPWW2 Map conversion utility routines that he made to convert from SPWW2v2 (aka SP2 maps) to the new SPWW2v3 map you guys introduced long ago.

However, I opened up the original scenario in SP2 and the soft sand hexes were also reporting as CLEAR in SP2.

Checking the release history, I think you guys made soft sand and snowdrifts have the "immobilize" feature and unique terrain ID numbers back in DOS SPWW2 v3.0.

So that's a note to add to my own documentation:

NOTE: Fred Chlanda's Map Conversion code is a strict SP2 map format to SPWW2 version 3.0 map format converter; in that it transfers over the data and values for the old map over to the new map, causing the map to not have the newer features developed over the years by the SPCAMO team.

For example:

If you convert a Steel Panthers 2 desert map for use in WinMBT, the converted map will show soft sand hex graphics, but will display "CLEAR" when you mouse over the hexes in question.

This behavior is "correct" for Steel Panthers 2; which exhibits the same behavior -- Snowdrifts and Soft Sand dunes in that game engine are "cosmetic" for show features to break up the monotony of large snow or desert areas.

It all depends on what you wish to do -- if you wish to recreate the straight SP2 experience of these old scenarios in higher resolutions with improved battle routines and icons; using the maps as-is is fine.

If however, you wish to add all the new terrain types that the SPCAMO team have developed since 1999, it is highly recommended that you follow the following workflow:

1.) Push the BATTLE button on the main screen

2.) Choose the nations and the scenario date and push CONTINUE

3.) At the Purchase screen select VIEW MAP

4.) Push '/' on your keyboard -- this will redraw the random map for your current opponents and time period using SPCAMO's built-in batloc routines.

5.) Keep redrawing until you find a map that closely approximates the old one.

6.) Push the 'e' button on your keyboard to save the random map into a map slot.

7.) Load that random map into your scenario and edit away.

Long term, since I have the source code for that version of Fred's WW2Map, plus a working Borland environment in a virtual machine, I might be able to compile an updated WW2Map that converts soft sand and snowdrifts. But no promises.

Quote:

We have had trouble with message overwrites in the past but not so much lately and to check that I built a quick scenario with Egyptian BRDM's US Army TOW Jeeps and this is the message shown
I can confirm this error message, and I can confirm it is due to my own mistakes; and is a rather easy fix.

I tried coding in a "rename" function for my "Load from CSV into SPCAMO scenario" routines for:

Leaders
and
Unit Names

However, I screwed up how to properly format text into the binary format used by the game engine.

Looking at my code for encoding a Python text string into ASCII/BINARY format; I think what's happening is that I screwed up how to format blank space byte padding (/x00) and the closing byte (/x0A).

Finally, I was able to fix the "Tow Jeep firing on BRDM-2 summons Cthulthu" text string bug by going into the in-game editor, and:

D - MODIFY UNIT DATA
Changing the Unit Name
Cloning to all unit examples in scenario

for both BRDM-2 and TOW Jeep.

To fix this, I will depreciate the unit/leader rename function in the next version of my editor package.

MarkSheppard April 23rd, 2021 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a (probably) fixed version of the scenario (it still has the straight SP2 converted map with decorative sand dune graphics), with some opening bombardments plugged in to liven up everyone's day and a new scenario briefing following more research to make it part of a potential set of scenarios:

Quote:

MEW: 82nd in the Sinai, Oct 1973*
Egypt Advance*
_____vs.*
US. Army Delay*
Date: October 25, 1973*
===========================*
NOTE: This is converted from the SP2 scenario "THE 101st IN SINAI, OCTOBER 1973" originally done by Samy El Semman (samy@semman.com). Changes done during the conversion process was a totally redesigned US force OBAT, more in line with an airborne division's TO&E of the time.*
===========================*
This is an alternative history scenario.*
In our timeline on 14 October 1973, the Egyptian Second and Third Armies launched a major armored offensive into the Sinai from their bridgeheads on the opposite side of the Suez Canal with the objectives of capturing the Mitla and Giddi passes. This was a highly dangerous manuver, as it would bring them outside of the dense Soviet-supplied SAM coverage that to date had blunted the Israeli Air Force, causing about three Israeli combat losses for every 200 Israeli sorties.*
The plan was for the Egyptian Air Force (EAF) to take up the slack as the Egyptian forces pushed out into the Sinai. Unfortunately for the Egyptians, the EAF was unable to attrit the IAF beyond the coverage of the SAM shields around the Egyptian bridgeheads. Out of 1,020 tanks in the Second and Third Armies, the Egyptians lost over 250 by mid-day in the largest armored battle since the Battle of Prokhorovka some thirty years' prior; and from that point on, the Israeli forces had the strategic and operational advantage.*
But what if the EAF had succeeded in blunting the IAF, allowing Second and Third Armies to achieve their objectives?*
On 15 October, an American SR-71 overflew the Sinai (having overflown it a few days prior on 13 October), gaining photographic coverage of the entire area. *
Faced with photographic proof of the catastrophe facing Israel, along with Israeli pleas for help; in this timeline President Nixon had no other choice but to begin direct actions to assist Israel in order to prevent the Middle East from becoming a Soviet-dominated region.*
On top of the airlift (Operation NICKEL GRASS) which occured in our timeline, Nixon approved NICKEL SPEAR (a made up name); which consisted of the movement of elements of the 82nd Airborne Division from CONUS; along with the 1-509th and 2-509th Airborne Battalions in Europe (at that time attached to 8th Infantry Division at Lee Barracks in Mainz-Gonsenheim) to the Sinai.*
At sea, the US Navy's two carrier battlegroups (INDEPENDENCE, F.D. ROOSEVELT) and amphibious group (GUADACANAL, IWO JIMA) stood ready with the USMC's Regimental Landing Team 34, consisting of BLTs 2/6 and 3/6.*
On the 25th of October, the Egyptian advance finally met the American forces in the Sinai as elements of the Egyptian 23d Mechanized Division crashed into the 82nd's defensive positions, igniting what would become known as the Middle East War.

MarkSheppard April 23rd, 2021 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm play testing and changing things around.

Giving the Egyptians more artillery since they'll need it.

Removing the USN EA-6Bs for F-4Bs, research shows that CVW-1 and CVW-6 didn't have EA-6B units; at the time (1973), those were given priority to Vietnam and WESTPAC.

DRG April 23rd, 2021 10:14 PM

After the barrage and the airshow moving a BDRM prompted a TOW launch and the messages were good. No Jumble, so you solved that very well

MarkSheppard April 24th, 2021 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 850144)
After the barrage and the airshow

I'm trying to find a nice mix; because if the Egyptians launch without artillery support to suppress or smoke out the 82nd, they run into TOW/Dragon launches and start being flaming wrecks.

While somewhat realistic (they get done to them what they've been doing to the Israelis in the war so far -- the Israelis didn't even get operational BGM-71s until the main offensive phase of the 1973 war were done with), it's not "exciting" for the Egyptian player to hit their head on a wall.

Plus, if the Egyptian military was competent enough to win in this timeline on October 14-15, 1973 where they failed; they'd be competent enough to know that US troops have many ATGMs, unlike the Israelis, and they'd counter it.

Quote:

moving a BDRM prompted a TOW launch and the messages were good. No Jumble, so you solved that very well
FYI, it appears that the "Summon Cthulthu" jumble is from a malformed text string in the unit names; so if you ever run into that problem elsewhere, check the scenario's unit names to see if they were corrupted somehow, before you start digging into 20,000,000 lines of spaghetti code.

Karagin April 24th, 2021 10:53 PM

The Mirage 5Ds don't have any weapons, they come nicely and do something that sounds like small arms fire and then fly off very pretty.

And the TOWs are not fun, but so far I have been cautious about how I am moving.

Karagin April 24th, 2021 10:54 PM

And I see a revamp version is up...

MarkSheppard April 26th, 2021 07:43 PM

Since this is the "lets recover old stuff" thread; here's my analysis of the old Wargamer Scenario Depot Circa 2016:

https://archive.org/details/Wargamer...ve20160514.tar

Someone got metadata for the 4,833 scenarios at the Wargamer's Depot and only managed to actually download 1,449 scenarios.

I did my own analysis of the metadata and found:

199 x SPMBT related items
107 x SPWW2 related items

Unfortunately, the 1,449 scenarios downloaded only start at item 3283, meaning that if something has a metadata ID lower than 3283, it's "lost".

SPWW2 (42 items = 39% are lost)
SPMBT (62 items = 31% are lost)

One of the lost items is Robert Mendoza's "Campaign 1940"; a 10 scenario campaign with Rommel's 7th Pz Div -- he also did the "China '37" and "Soviet 44 / 32ya Tankovaya Brigade 1944-45" campaigns currently in WinSPMBT.

Another lost item, having an ID of #435 is:

Quote:

Steel Panthers: World War II : French Super Heavy Tanks 6/40

File Author : C. B. Blackard
File Added : 21 SEP 2002

Opponents : French German
Date : 13 JUN 1940

Description :

French delay vs. German advance.

This is a hypothetical scenario depicting the French 70-ton FCM-2C super heavy tanks in action in the final days of the war in the west in 1940. See the text file for more information.

Karagin April 26th, 2021 08:42 PM

I am going to get you what I have. So there might be some things to help the lost part out.