.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Why do you play dominions? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=49523)

parone February 19th, 2013 08:58 PM

Why do you play dominions?

pretty broad question, eh folks?

in a very round about way, this question came up on another forum.

the prevailing opinion was, play to win. and only play to win.

i personally don't play solely to win. and boy, did those folks have a lot to say about that. in short, they continually trolled my posts, twisted what i said, indicated that(i think) i might have a dual personality disorder, and, even though i wasn't complaining about losing, continually belittled me for whining and moaning about losing(i know that sounds wierd, but it is honestly what happened-as best as i can tell)

so here i am. on the nearly defunct shrapnel forum. and im asking you boys and girls, is winning the only thing?

YellowCactus February 19th, 2013 09:13 PM

Re: Why do you play dominions?

It's a philosophical question.

We are all winners! (and sometimes whiners)

parone February 19th, 2013 09:24 PM

my new policy is to thank any post that makes me actually LOL.(i have to make noise-otherwise, no thank you. yellow, you get one.)

ghoul31 February 19th, 2013 09:43 PM

I play because its the deepest game out there. I learn new things and develop new strategies every game.
There is so much to remember, I tend to forget a lot of things I learned in the past.

If I only cared about winning, I would just arrange 3 on one ganks every game like most people do.
But my biggest enjoyment is figuring out strategies to counter what my opponents are throwing at me.

Gandalf Parker February 19th, 2013 10:22 PM

It depends on the forum you are on. I think this forum might have shifted abit.

I love Dominions for the variations. My own answer has changed over the years. With Dom1 and Dom2 I played mp games. King of the Hill games on small to medium maps. But I did prefer team games or alliances where I could be more of a support player.

During Dom2 I joined the Beta Test group so when Dom3 came along I was already playing it all day every day for about a year before it was released. By the release time I was pretty burned out on it so I was playing it more solo for the RPG flavor on much bigger maps with much wilder settings and mods. I love underdog nations and "works only once" strategies.

I still play an occassional MP game but usually only if it has some really interesting quirk to it other than just stab everyone.

Lumix19 February 20th, 2013 01:02 AM

I play because I like the different nations (my favorite changes quite often) and I enjoy playing them in MP games, mostly for the challenge real players represent. The AI is not a very entertaining opponent. I do try my best to win but I think that's a given for most players.

Fantomen February 20th, 2013 03:40 AM

It's not our respect you need, it's your own. Man the **** up.

Admiral_Aorta February 20th, 2013 06:13 AM

Man Who Constantly Complains About Own Mediocrity Actively Limits Himself While Playing, Becomes Angry When Told So

Admiral_Aorta February 20th, 2013 06:15 AM

Seriouspost since you've run away from those meanies at dom3 mods: Playing optimally and crushing your enemies is fun. Losing is not fun. There is no dichotomy between 'fun' and 'playing to win'.

parone February 20th, 2013 08:31 AM

i did not say there was. again, twisting the post to make it self defeating.

i said, is it the only thing-is there only one 'right' way to play.

wow. a lot of resistance to a very simple(and quite frankly harmless) idea