.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Magical PT 76 armour (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47921)

Kartoffel October 23rd, 2011 12:33 PM

Magical PT 76 armour

1 Attachment(s)
Unit U4 12.7mm T54 HMG cannot damage adjacent PT 76, see save game. The error is systemic.

DRG October 24th, 2011 07:45 AM

Re: Magical PT 76 armour

First - when you shoot at something with more armour than the weapon you are firing can penetrate it will do no damage.

Second, that save game is worthless as it starts up at the end of a game so there is no unit U4 adjacent to a PT 76 to view.

Don

iCaMpWiThAWP October 24th, 2011 07:46 AM

You should note that heavy machineguns aren't going to damage armored units all the time, sometimes i get those .50 cals to penetrate light armored vehicles(armor values of 1) but it's pretty rare.
Edit: Don was faster :)

DRG October 24th, 2011 08:04 AM

The ONLY area of a PT-76 that can be damaged by the 12.7 is the rear and the 12.7 WILL damage and destroy a PT-76 from the rear when fired from an adjacent hex so there IS NO " systemic error" ( more likely we have a case of a systemic misunderstanding of the game )

Don

Griefbringer October 24th, 2011 09:51 AM

Also the top armour on PT-76 is 1, so cunning machinegunners hiding up on the Balkans mountains might want to try their chances at penetrating that.

Actually, I ran a test game with 12 Soviet PT-76 tanks making an amphibious landing on the Albanian coast, defended by 18 T54 MG teams (size 0). With visibility set down to 10, the brave MG crews were able to freely blast at the tanks, eventually perforating them all (though once the three last tanks got immobilised, their crews bailed out and got gunned down).

Besides numerous penetrating rear hits, I was able to also damage many of the tanks with lucky side shots from close range. However, it took quite a lot of damaging hits to actually destroy one of those tanks, so you got to keep on pouring lots of bullets on them.

Kartoffel October 25th, 2011 03:53 PM

Sorry about the stoved up saved game, blame it on my inexperience. As to the PT76 weakness vs the 12.7mm HMG I was able to damage them later in the game and so I would like to downgrade my concern for this issue.

The concern I posted here about arose after repeated attempts to damage the areas equal to or less than 2 cm RHA where the game would say "no effect" or something like that IIRC instead of, for example, 0 pen vs 2 armour. I though there was some sort of systemic error involving the 0-2 min max HE HMG pen routine whereby the game was not recognizing its variable HMG HE pen requirement. I suppose it may just be one of those little things due entirely to the nature of the spaghetti and that we will have no choice but to live with it if I am correctly categorizing the cause of the incident.

It is a moot point now that the save game is no good as I have saved over that slot during the course of my campaign.

Thank-you for the consideration in any case.

Wdll October 25th, 2011 05:59 PM

2cm? That's a bit thick for 12.7mm isn't it?:p