.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Build me an MA Ulm thug (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=37807)

TheKDawg February 26th, 2008 05:59 AM

Build me an MA Ulm thug

I'm somewhat new at Dominions 3. Played a bit of single player Dom2 and fared well against the AI.

I'm working on this 'Thug' strategy that I hear bits and pieces of.

I've tried recruiting a Black Lord and equipping him with some decent armor and weapons, bumping up his MR and Prot, but he got blasted first time I sent him somewhere.

If you were going to build an Ulm MA thug to harass enemies, what would be your unit and magic items?

Aezeal February 26th, 2008 06:07 AM

Re: Build me an MA Ulm thug

humans don't make good thugs HP-wise... summon something strong

PvK February 26th, 2008 06:11 AM

Black Lord with Fire Brand and Charcoal Shield forged by a Master Smith with a Dwarven Hammer. Put 2-5 Black Knights in a squad with him on Guard Commander, and him on 0-5 Hold orders followed by Attack Rear or Attack Archers or something, and place them on the flank of an army. Maybe also some other Black Knights in a squad on Hold & Attack Rear, and/or other thug squads.

If he's a good one or you want to invest more gems, Marble Armor and Bracers of Steel. Without research you can also forge a Sword of Sharpness which is a good worthwhile boost to both offence and defence. If your enemy is using MR-resisted spells, add an Amulet of Antimagic.

Aezeal February 26th, 2008 06:13 AM

sounds like a lot of gems for something pretty vulnerable still

PvK February 26th, 2008 06:18 AM

Well that's what Ulm has for thugs (aside from later-game things that everyone has), and it helps to have the forge bonus. It can work well enough against the AI or players that haven't developed a counter. Not that counters are hard or necessary. But I don't think it's merely a waste unless you're not really wanting to try to use MA Ulm.

Dedas February 26th, 2008 06:23 AM

It isn't as many gems as you think. MA Ulm has forge bonus 25% + hammers 25% = 50% off.

vfb February 26th, 2008 06:26 AM

You could build him a Pendant of Luck (if you're lucky to get Astral on a smith, or an Astral merc, or a lizard shaman) and a Girdle too. If you've got a N1 indy mage make him some birch boots too.

TheKDawg February 26th, 2008 06:34 AM

Thanks for the advice! My smiths are hard at work now.

OmikronWarrior February 26th, 2008 06:39 AM

Quote:

Dedas said:
It isn't as many gems as you think. MA Ulm has forge bonus 25% + hammers 25% = 50% off.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't forge bonuses mulplicitive instead of additive? I.e. 1/4 and a 1/4 gets you 9/16?

I'm also going to say not to bother equiping black lords to be thugs. A successful thug needs multiple levels of defense, such as high defense, protection, glamour/mirror image, awe, and high HP. Don't despair, however, as few nations have truly wrothwhile recruitable units to make thugs out of. Instead, I'd suggest you pick a pretender with some death magic, summon some banelords, and outfit them with earth and fire equipment.

Edi February 26th, 2008 06:53 AM

Forge bonuses are additive.