.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Question about map height levels (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=46111)

dmnt August 20th, 2010 05:38 AM

Question about map height levels

I've been editing some maps from real terrain, but I'm a bit uncertain about the height levels. What is the hill height vs. real hill height factor? I've been using metric 1:1 ratio, where level 1 hill (Height: 10) is ten meters higher than the lowest map point, excluding water.

Of course it doesn't matter except in situations, when units could see over a forest to an opening or field, but I'm trying to get the map as close to real as possible still keeping the map playable in winspmbt.

Marek_Tucan August 20th, 2010 09:26 AM

Re: Question about map height levels

To put it simply: Hill height on the map means EXACTLY as many meters, as you like ;)
When building my maps, I usually tend to maintain "Each height level = 20 meters". Works pretty well in creating realistic lines of sight.
I use often the fact that height "+4" or "-4" creates cover (atleast on level ground) to make sunken/raised roads etc.
Other than that, as I said, one hill level (ie height 10) is anything you like it to be.

Beachinnole May 7th, 2012 08:26 AM

Makes me feel good as I've always assumed/used them to be about 25 meters.

Mobhack May 7th, 2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek_Tucan (Post 754902)
To put it simply: Hill height on the map means EXACTLY as many meters, as you like ;)
When building my maps, I usually tend to maintain "Each height level = 20 meters". Works pretty well in creating realistic lines of sight.
I use often the fact that height "+4" or "-4" creates cover (atleast on level ground) to make sunken/raised roads etc.
Other than that, as I said, one hill level (ie height 10) is anything you like it to be.

Exactly - the original game was restricted to just 3 (three) hill levels after all. So you could have low (10 units), medium (20) and high (30 units) hills is all.

We made it 15 levels to make the choice a bit more 'realistic', but the elevation model is still nothing to do with real maps, but then - neither are hexes. However 15 levels makes it easier to give the impression of more rugged terrain than just 3 levels (which looked more like the old way of wargames tables with hills made out of a few bits of painted plywood to put your 25mm, 15mm or 1/300 model soldiers on).

Cheers
Andy

Imp May 7th, 2012 06:19 PM

If you want to keep the sight model accurate see this thread http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=48739
Though since posting there have played & looked so would say the game makes the following assumptions.
All buildings are multistorey as in 2 levels based on the fact all trees are slightly lower than it.
This is based on the fact that units one level higher than the obstacle can see over trees to other units at the same level while the building blocks that LOS.
The building is only fractionaly higher than the level as if you go up half a level (on a slope) the LOS over it is clear.

The game uses this model to determine LOS & the generation of blind hexes.

Deciding what a hill level represents depends on the map your creating then if you want to try & get it right.

Normal case assume its building roof top height but if large wooded areas assume its just taller than the trees, there are no old tall trees in the game.
Kind of a shame higher old trees virtually impassable to vehicles would spice things up a bit in place of say one of the several pavement designs. Course thats the easy bit the map generator & AI would have to be able to use them.