.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   How to use Pangea songs? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=32340)

Beorne December 14th, 2006 06:36 AM

How to use Pangea songs?

I'm a player of EA Pangea. I'm trying to use the powerful nature 1 songs but I'm not able to cast them. I see that they have a range 0 and aoe of 15. But even if I put my caster very near (2 or 3 squares) to the front line he can't cast them.
What does this mean, the only way to cast the songs is to be first line and soon completely sutrrounded by the enemy and die heroically?
Or be flying rear the enemy lines, cast it and retreat (Pan has not good flying casters ... no one apart a strong hero and empower a harpy scout seems bit too costly).
Or I am missing something? Someone ever cast some song?

calmon December 14th, 2006 09:32 AM

Re: How to use Pangea songs?

I tested one dryad in fronline and some satyrs as guards for him. The dryad start to use the songs when the enemies are on the frontline attacking the guards.

Maybe a little late but at least the spells work (tune of Fear and growth active seen)

Beorne December 14th, 2006 10:07 AM

Ok, I wasn't in doubt if it is bugged or not, I'd like to know how to use them effectively ...

Actuarian December 14th, 2006 11:57 AM

They sound great but don't seem to be particulary useful spells.

Twice, early in a game, I put the caster in the front row, set my melee troops to hold and attack, and scripted the caster to cast flying shards for a couple of turns and then cast one of the 3 spell songs. Both times the AI overrode the script and kept casting shards even though the enemy troops were definately in range.

I really wanted to see how the spell worked, so I attacked a province with no archers(I also had no archers), and set my troops to guard commander. The AI still overrode the script and kept casting shards.

calmon December 14th, 2006 12:02 PM

Quote:

Actuarian said:
I really wanted to see how the spell worked, so I attacked a province with no archers(I also had no archers), and set my troops to guard commander. The AI still overrode the script and kept casting shards.

Like i wrote i tried the same and to me it works fine. Do you fight special opponents like undead? Try normal independents even with archers.

Actuarian December 14th, 2006 12:32 PM

I was fighting some barbarians with my army of hoplites. That seems about as plain as you can get.

Arralen December 14th, 2006 02:07 PM

What spell did you script exactly?

The AI normally only overrides scripted spells if
A) they're using gems and it feels that the enemy is not strong enough to warrant that
B) the caster cannot cast the spell for some reason.

Actuarian December 14th, 2006 04:31 PM

I think it was the death dance. I'm pretty sure I have the save at home; I'll verify and get back to you.

Beorne December 15th, 2006 06:10 AM

I scripted
attack
attack
attack (to come near the enemy)
song
song

I was 2 or 3 squares from the front lines, one has to understand how area of effect shapes

calmon December 15th, 2006 06:27 AM

What song do you use?