.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   After Action Reports (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Ouch caught napping (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=49674)

Imp April 19th, 2013 08:43 PM

Ouch caught napping

Well this is not going so well few battles into a long campaign as USA & I am in Tunisia at the end of 42 & taking on the Germans for the first time. Both sides decide to take advantage of the night & recon in force bumping heads at 200yards. First contact is 4 small groups of armoured cars which are quickly dispatched for the loss of a few men. They are spread across the map so as we continue our advance I am wondering which if any have forces following on & try to position my reserve accordingly then all hell breaks loose.<?xml:nam<O:p</O:p
I have 3 infantry Co each with MMG 60mm mortar 2 37mm ATGs a scout, jeep, M3 scout car & 3 trucks.<O:p</O:p
In support are 2 platoons of Engineers 2 MMGs 2 snipers & a bazooka team along with 8 halftracks a couple more M3 scout cars & a handful of trucks.<O:p</O:p
Armour consists of 10 M4s, 3 M3s & 2 M3 75mm GMC tank destroyers along with 2 M7 105mm HMC in an assault gun role.<O:p</O:p
Half a dozen AA units & 8 assorted arty from 75-105 along with a Foo complete my core & things are looking a bit bleak.<O:p</O:p
Decided to go without support the rifle companies advancing to contact spread across the map, the ATGs & support units are trailing in transport as the reserve along with the tanks & as most of the scout cars appeared towards the top of the 80x80 map they are towards that vicinity.<O:p</O:p
Well so far there has been zero additional activity there but down the bottom boy its getting messy I think virtually the entire German force is down there trying for a breakthrough.<O:p</O:p
I sort of got it right on where they would appear & the infantry there closed up a bit on the correct spot. 3 of the M4s & a couple of the ATGs are in the vicinity when the first platoon of infantry & tanks are sighted, sporadic fire minor casualties to both sides & my infantry get a tank.<O:p</O:p
3/4s the way up the map 2 MkCs are seen & quickly dispatched so I delay with my reserves waiting to see what happens.<O:p</O:p
Well the AI got its act together combined arms as the sky rains steel with uncanny precision & a company of infantry & another half dozen tanks lay fire into my line.<O:p</O:p
Reinforce with what I have trying to avoid the artillery & mine comes online which at least slows what looks like about 2 Cos of infantry but the tanks are another story the dangerous stuff has now turned up & they are about to steamroller my infantry most of who are I think on the verge of running. Both the ATGs in the area are gone along with 2 Shermans the other is the only thing stopping them, hes got 4 kills but is now immobilised.<O:p</O:p
Some how I am going to have to slow them with outclassed stuff my M3s & TDs will have to do the job along with a few infantry as they will get to the hot zone long before my remaining Shermans.<O:p</O:p
This ones going to hurt StuGs are now rolling in behind the tanks.