.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Artificial Moon Generator: What type does it make? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=30129)

Dizzy September 5th, 2006 02:43 PM

Artificial Moon Generator: What type does it make?

Investing the 25k for the generator tug and then 6k each for 10 tugs with components is a lot of resources... what's the end result of making the artificial moon? I get a tiny no atmosphere planet or what exactly does it make?

scJazz September 5th, 2006 03:08 PM

Re: Artificial Moon Generator: What type does it make?

Think in terms of huge habitable planet with lots and lots of orbitting moons with space yards. In other words... massive space yard production and refit/repair facility.

geoschmo September 5th, 2006 03:27 PM

Re: Artificial Moon Generator: What type does it make?

Are you guys talking about Space Empires?

Fyron September 5th, 2006 04:34 PM

Re: Artificial Moon Generator: What type does it m

Assuming you mean ringworlds (maybe the stellar moon in devnull mod?), the planet type and atmosphere will be that of your race (usually the HW type). The size depends on what exactly you are constructing, and can be infered from PlanetSize.txt. Each artificial planet size has its own entry.

Dizzy September 5th, 2006 05:26 PM

Quote:

Imperator Fyron said:
Assuming you mean ringworlds (maybe the stellar moon in devnull mod?), the planet type and atmosphere will be that of your race (usually the HW type). The size depends on what exactly you are constructing, and can be infered from PlanetSize.txt. Each artificial planet size has its own entry.

Thx for the two replies.

Yes this is from the dvnull 1.80 mod. I have 10 tugs with mounted components and a tug with a mounted generator... I'll figure it out in a few hours when it's all completed. I went ahead and took the risk... I want to see if making a planet, which is what I assume it will make, will enable me, depending on the size and composition, to place a planet at a warp point.

My first game so far where by chance a planet happened to occupy the same place as a warp point, which has given me plenty of defensive evil ideas...

scJazz September 5th, 2006 05:39 PM

Ahh the defensive thing reminded me of another point. Moons with weapon platforms seriously aid in the defense of the planet. The moon might get targetted first. Ships still out of range for the planet are in range of the moons guns. Assuming that you aren't using tactical combat.

Rollo September 5th, 2006 06:43 PM

It is an Artificial Stellar Moon. Meaning that you cannot build it at a warp point. It must be built in the same sector as a star.
It's the size of a huge planet, but with higher population limit and cargo space.

Dizzy September 5th, 2006 07:03 PM

Crap! U mean I have to move all the components and the generator tug to the STAR?

Rollo September 5th, 2006 07:07 PM

yep

Dizzy September 5th, 2006 07:45 PM

Hrmmm, well it doesnt sound logical to build a stellar moon that'd have an atmosphere on top a star. Im trying to use my imagination here and figure this out. Apparently this is a limited deal, cuz you only have so many stars... but short of creating planets from asteroid fields this is the way to go to get more real estate.

But what happens to the star? I suppose nothing. I just dont understand the scientific concept behind the 'Stellar' part. Why put it on top a sun?