.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Game manual? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41550)

DennisS December 10th, 2008 02:49 PM

Game manual?

Thank you for this WONDERFUL game!

I discovered this, quite by accident, and I am very pleased. I joined this board, a LOOONG time ago, and promptly never went back! Unusual, as I really enjoy the product lines from Shrapnel Games.

In a word, I would describe myself as a grognard. Military history has always been a passion, as has gaming.

I remember playing Tactics II, from Avalon Hill, more years ago than I care to admit...but I will say, Nixon was President!

Now...my issue.

It seems that I am quite unable to view the game manual.

I use firefox, and it crashes out each and every time I attempt to load it.

Now, I consider myself a reasonably bright guy, and in the limited time I have played this excellent game, I have figured out about 90% of what I need.

But, it would be particulary useful to read up on the game mechanics, and some of the insights listed in the manual.

Is there something I can do to get the manual, or do I need to reinstall the Windows Explorer browser that came with Vista?

Vista sucks, btw...thanks for the thread which carefully explained how to work around it.

Sorry if this is in a different thread.

Oh...also, when I have sufficient experience, I would be interested in building scenarios, and eventually, campaigns. In these regards, the bar has been set very, very high.

Thanks in advance!

iCaMpWiThAWP December 10th, 2008 03:16 PM

Re: Game manual?

theres nothing wrong with my manual and i use firefox, BTW: re-install your internet explorer or you'll have problems with updates, installs and such things :D

DennisS December 10th, 2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP (Post 658930)
theres nothing wrong with my manual and i use firefox, BTW: re-install your internet explorer or you'll have problems with updates, installs and such things :D

I should...but I would rather face a Tiger tank in a Sherman than expose my computer to risk by using Explorer!

Mobhack December 10th, 2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisS (Post 658935)
Quote:

I should...but I would rather face a Tiger tank in a Sherman than expose my computer to risk by using Explorer!

I use firefox, and have absolutely no problems with viewing the Game Guide, whether launched from the Game Options programme or manually.

You should leave Microsoft Internet Exploder installed even if you do not plan to use it. I don't apart from checking for updates. Microsoft Widows update uses it (active X controls that only work in exploder) and any programme such as the Game Options programme that calls shellexecute needs it to be there, (as the initial O/S "hook" I believe) even if the O/S then redirects the URL to the new default browser.

Cheers
Andy

DennisS December 10th, 2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobhack (Post 658961)
Quote:

Quote:

I use firefox, and have absolutely no problems with viewing the Game Guide, whether launched from the Game Options programme or manually.

You should leave Microsoft Internet Exploder installed even if you do not plan to use it. I don't apart from checking for updates. Microsoft Widows update uses it (active X controls that only work in exploder) and any programme such as the Game Options programme that calls shellexecute needs it to be there, (as the initial O/S "hook" I believe) even if the O/S then redirects the URL to the new default browser.

Cheers
Andy

OK, this I understand.

I haven't actually un-installed Explorer, the O/S clearly won't let me.

I use Firefox as my default browser, and I have deleted the shortcut to Explorer to prevent my wife and daughter from accessing it. Time for Plan "B", which is the same thing I say when I see Panzers.

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

iCaMpWiThAWP December 10th, 2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisS (Post 658967)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobhack (Post 658961)
Quote:

Cheers
Andy

OK, this I understand.

I haven't actually un-installed Explorer, the O/S clearly won't let me.

I use Firefox as my default browser, and I have deleted the shortcut to Explorer to prevent my wife and daughter from accessing it. Time for Plan "B", which is the same thing I say when I see Panzers.

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

Time To Run for your life?especially if its a VI :D

Ironfist December 10th, 2008 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I created a chm file of the game guide. Please check whether it is useful.

I use firefox myself and there is no problem.

PanzerBob December 10th, 2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironfist (Post 659069)

Thanks

What is a chm file my work computer doesn't seem to recognize it?

Bob out:D

Ironfist December 10th, 2008 10:37 PM

chm is a format for help files by Microsoft. I think it stands for Compiled HtMl. MS provides a free tool "HTML workshop". Basically it can compile a group of html files into a single file. It should be working under win98 or later, IIRC.

Are you using Linux, or win95?

BTW
If you can use FF or IE to view GG, use it. For the chm I created, you can't use "open in new tab" to have a full view of a page -- the index side form is always there. I don't how to get rid of it, not a good user for the help workshop.

DennisS December 11th, 2008 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironfist (Post 659069)

Perfect!!!! Thank you very much!

I just finished a 36 turn random game, US vs. Germans, January 1930.

I had a fair number of light tanks, and he had a HUGE number of halftracks! One of my tanks had 8 kills!

I blew up an enormous number of his troops, but still only got a marginal victory...despite controlling all the vp hexes. I did lose three of my tanks, however.

Quick question:

Is there a quick and dirty ratio between the number of hexes vs. the number of build points? I used 750 points, for a 40 x 40 map, meeting engagement, and it seemed a little light on forces.