.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   How is the game now? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=33954)

thorfrog March 25th, 2007 11:26 PM

How is the game now?

So, how is this game now? Does the latest fix and mods make this a worthy investment? I've seen this available at Gamestop for $19.00 and was considering. What is everyones thoughts on the game play?

AgentZero March 25th, 2007 11:34 PM

Re: How is the game now?

For $19, I'd say go for it. Most of the showstopper bugs have been eliminated, aside from a memory leak that some people have reported. I haven't seen it myself, so I can't really comment on it, but as it stands, if you get patched up to 1.33 and get either, or both, Kwok's Balance Mod and the IRM mod, you'll have yourself a good game with an AI that puts up a decent challenge.

Phoenix-D March 26th, 2007 12:08 AM

IIRC you main problem was with the UI, right? That hasn't changed much. There have been a few changes like condensed unit lists and a few ship design improvements.

The demo is up to 1.25 now. Grab that, try again.

AMF March 26th, 2007 01:03 AM

So...the UI remains the same?

Sigh.

Oh well...

Thanks,

AMF

Atrocities March 26th, 2007 03:41 AM

I would buy it. The UI stills has some issues but the game is very playable now.

Slick March 26th, 2007 12:32 PM

I wouldn't. I got the latest patch just for possible future use, but I can't even muster enough interest to check out all the fixes because I just don't find it fun. And none of the fixes address the things that make the game unfun. Except 1: the game now should process turns when minimized - great, but not enough.

I'm playing other games.

GuyOfDoom March 26th, 2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Slick said:
I wouldn't. I got the latest patch just for possible future use, but I can't even muster enough interest to check out all the fixes because I just don't find it fun. And none of the fixes address the things that make the game unfun. Except 1: the game now should process turns when minimized - great, but not enough.

I'm playing other games.

I get increasingly confused about comments like this. Honestly I think any critiques of this game right now are just being nitpicky. The game is the best 4X game out there right now.

Ragnarok-X March 26th, 2007 01:50 PM

Im with Slick on this one. I dont enjoy the game, unlike SEIV, easy as that.

capnq March 26th, 2007 02:05 PM

Quote:

GuyOfDoom said: The game is the best 4X game out there right now.

That may say more about the industry's regard for the 4X genre than it does about SE V.

I'm still waiting to acquire a system that will run SE V, so I can't comment on the game itself, yet. (I've had a deal pending on a used machine for over a month and a half, but circumstances keep preventing it from getting to me.)

There's one thing I can say about it: because the v1.33 patch has fixed a couple issues were causing problems on PBW, PBW no longer allows people to start new SE V games in older versions.

capnq
PBW admin

aegisx March 26th, 2007 03:29 PM

I like SE5 more than I did SE4.