.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Apostacy on mindless lifeless constructs? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=49375)

Excist December 11th, 2012 12:35 PM

Apostacy on mindless lifeless constructs?

Is there any RP reason that Apostacy works on golems? I thought charm and similar mind affecting spells were supposed to not work against mindless lifeless constructs.

Corinthian December 11th, 2012 12:38 PM

Re: Apostacy on mindless lifeless constructs?

Apparently, according to its description, Apostacy works by corrupting the enemies holiness and not by corrupting their minds. Thats an explanation as good as any.

The real reason is probably that there are almost no lifeless, mindless sacreds, so they forgot.

Apostacy is still pretty useless because it is only penetration 8. CBM tried to fix this, but its apparently still only pen 8.

JonBrave December 11th, 2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excist (Post 815263)
Is there any RP reason ...

I'm sorry to be really dumb, but "RP"?...:confused:

Relatively Plausible?
Religiously Perceptive?
Rational Person?
Really Phat?

Soyweiser December 11th, 2012 04:44 PM

Role Play.

jimbojones1971 December 12th, 2012 04:42 AM

It was my hobos grinding out apostacy. Which I didn't script, because I'd previously read about how it was still kinda worthless in CBM 1.94 despite best intentions to the contrary.

I can only conclude that you got very very unlucky, in that it actually was something of a pain in the backside?

Stupid spell casting AI :-(

Tiavals December 12th, 2012 01:36 PM

Wow, Apostacy is considered worthless? I have lost so many units to Apostacy I can't count, which is the main reason I fear MA Ermor. Suppose I have a unit with MR 17, I surely won't be sending it against Ermor since it'll probably be Apostacied.

Excist December 12th, 2012 06:02 PM

My conclusion from the above is that it was originally supposed to be MR resists easily ( -4 to penetration) because it requires no research and single path and usually targets the most valuable units.

Apparently CBM has gone overboard in "balancing it" and it now works as often as charm, but with a more common spell path, lesser research requirements and zero fatigue.

earcaraxe December 13th, 2012 02:56 AM

i also think apostacy was good as it was, didnt need any strengthening. very easily accessible, and always targets the most powerful units.

Admiral_Aorta December 13th, 2012 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excist (Post 815298)
My conclusion from the above is that it was originally supposed to be MR resists easily ( -4 to penetration) because it requires no research and single path and usually targets the most valuable units.

Apparently CBM has gone overboard in "balancing it" and it now works as often as charm, but with a more common spell path, lesser research requirements and zero fatigue.

Given that charm is a very good spell anyway what's the problem? Edit: Nvm, misread your post.

Excist December 13th, 2012 12:59 PM

One additional reason the MR resists easily was needed to balance it is that with a range of 50 even if you put your expensive sacreds on the back line they are not out of range like with charm.

What this means is that if you have sacred mages and no sacred troops spamming Apostacy can routinely land 300-400 gold mages with no gem investment or even fatigue. This seems game breaking.

I don't mind if the spell did that on a lucky roll, but the boost to penetration seems like it makes it more likely with normal and only slightly high rolls.