.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Cold War 2020 Mod for WinSPMBT v5.0 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45986)

PlasmaKrab July 25th, 2010 03:01 PM

Cold War 2020 Mod for WinSPMBT v5.0

Hello everyone,

At long last, the Cold War 2020 mod update is available for WinSPMBT v5.0!

You can download the installer from this link.

For those who don't know the Cold War 2020 mod already, the idea is the following:
The USSR has not gone bust, the East-West standoff has continued uninterrupted from 1990 all the way to 2020.
Nothing too original, but this means three decades of unfettered force consolidation and military development, FMS and shifting alliances.
Now think about it in wargame terms...

There come Comanches, T-95s, Marder-II, Block-III MBT, and a lot more! No force reduction, no oldies kept in service for decades without replacement, no Shinseki doctrine (well, not too much), now you can have fun wreaking havoc in Germany with the best technology that will never be available!

Now including 30 modified OOBs:
-USA
-Canada
-West Germany
-Denmark
-Netherlands
-Belgium
-France
-USSR
-Poland
-East Germany
-Czechoslovakia
-Hungary
-Romania
-Bulgaria
-Yugoslavia (new!):ser
-Bosnia (new!):bos
-Croatia (new!):cro
-Austria
-Greece (new!):gre
-Turkey
-Syria
-Egypt
-Libya
-Algeria
-Chad
-Mujahedeen
-South Korea
-North Korea
-Japan
-Cuba (new!):cuba

Also included are:
-315 new IA picklists
-1318 new icons
-2423 new B&W .lbm pictures
-136 presentation-screen color .lbm pictures
-25 new or modified game sounds
-570 encyclopedia text files
-16 stand-alone scenarios
-1 complete campaign

To play, just install a new, clean version of WinSPMBT v5.0 (that's to prevent wrecking your custom files or your PBEM games), and run the mod installer over it. then open the game utilities and install the custom OOB set.
Please refer to the Readme files for more details on installing and playing.

Also, don't forget the official disclaimer:
[official warning]
"This mod contains highly altered or additional files that may or will cause interference with the master game files and it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that this mod be installed and played ONLY in a separate copy of the game and NOT run from the master game"
[/official warning]

I will get it posted somewhere more permanent someday soon.

Hope you all enjoy it!

Regards,

Plasma

Crazy_Dutch July 25th, 2010 03:57 PM

Re: Cold War 2020 Mod for WinSPMBT v5.0

Hi Plasmakrab

Thanks for the new version of the Cold War 2020 Mod.

There is a question about the oob countries list. I do miss one of the important NATO Countries. Namely the OOB of UK. Is't possible to add this by the next update.

Greetings from the Netherlands

Crazy Dutch

Warhero July 26th, 2010 09:44 AM

Wow thanks Plasma:)!

PS. How about adding Finland into next version;)...

PlasmaKrab July 26th, 2010 01:40 PM

Regarding additional OOBs, both UK and Finland are planned since I'm also interested in them, but they are both going to be on the difficult side.
I have other difficult and critical OOBs (e.g. USMC, Israel, China, Iran) to take care of, so I can't say in advance which will come first.

Mappo August 1st, 2010 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlasmaKrab (Post 752949)
Regarding additional OOBs, both UK and Finland are planned since I'm also interested in them, but they are both going to be on the difficult side.
I have other difficult and critical OOBs (e.g. USMC, Israel, China, Iran) to take care of, so I can't say in advance which will come first.

Hi Plasmakrab, many many thanks for your mod. I hope to see in a future release also Italian and Swiss OOBS (I am italian and swiss)

Ciao and best regards

Roman February 22nd, 2012 12:36 AM

Hi. An update to version 5.5?
This thread may be in mods.

Roman February 22nd, 2012 12:53 AM

A question. I have the Cold War for mbt version 4.5. I install everything back to version 5? Or I can install the patch 5 then the new version of the mod? I speak of an extra copy. I have the official version 5.5 in another folder.

Shan March 6th, 2012 07:24 AM

I've been playing the CWM for a long time now, but only recently decided to install the latest version based on the 5.0 patch. Thank God I didn't install it over my old version though!

Great additions of new nations - however, some serious bugs seem to be present.
- Light Helos seems to have lost their Arty observer role - is this intentional?
- Also, in a meeting engagement I can plot 10 'golden hexes' even though I dont have even a single FO unit! Strange...
- trouble with loading some of the new icons (isolated cases only) - in the editor they're there but they don't show in the game.
- trouble loading save games --- never occurred to me before with this game!

Over the years I developed the CWM into my own version and it works fine, even with the latest 5.5 patch. Just have to change a lot of Icons and stuff, but that's ok. If I don't get the new installation based on patch 5.0 working properly I might just add the four new OOBs to my old installation and change all the icons again.

Still - CWM rulez!!

Crazy_Dutch April 3rd, 2012 12:20 AM

Now Winspmbt 6.0 is out. Does there also come a update of the Cold War 2020 Mod? so yes, is't possible to say when?

Crazy_Dutch September 21st, 2012 03:40 AM

Does somebody know where PlasmaKrab is? His last inlog is all about a year ago.

ccruler December 15th, 2012 07:26 PM

I have no idea, I hope he's alright. I've tried e-mailing him about it a while back and never got a reply.

Lord_Cunami February 6th, 2013 12:54 PM

Hello

I would like to ask how this mod can be downloaded?

The link for rapidshare doesnt work and I cannot find any links or files for the mod on the FabioPrado website.

Thank you

Lord_Cunami February 7th, 2013 12:19 PM

Does anyone have the files for this mod or a working link?

I really would like to try this out.

pippo February 17th, 2013 12:20 PM

i have uploaded the mod here:

http://sharesend.com/sf5vb44z

Lord_Cunami April 23rd, 2013 10:45 AM

pippo thank you kindly.

Warhero April 23rd, 2013 02:23 PM

Any plans to update this into v.7?

Richard_H August 14th, 2013 02:59 PM

Pippo's link also appears to be broken.

Does anyone have any other links?

Richard H

MarkSheppard March 26th, 2014 01:19 PM

I found v0.8 on my hard drive -- but it's not the original EXE -- it's a repacked ZIP file containing the EXE's contents.

When I have time, I'll post it up on my website so you can download it again.

MarkSheppard March 26th, 2014 01:38 PM

Also, regarding updating it to the latest v8.0 of WinMBT...I can try pulling some of the more "popular" stuff out of the mod so you can play with T-95, Bradley LOSAT, Comanche, Crusader, Marder II in the latest version, but that's about it.

MarkSheppard March 29th, 2014 12:20 AM

Here's the link to the v0.8 ZIP.

http://www.alternatewars.com/Games/S...T_CWC_v0-8.zip

about 38~ MB in size.

Do you need to have the older game patches put up as well, since this was baselined for v5.0 of WinSPMBT?

blatsas March 29th, 2014 02:10 AM

i thing need 5.5 version

Shan January 29th, 2015 01:47 AM

I still got the cold war mod for v5.5, anyone needing it? I am now playing it with some later version, even v.8 is possible, just takes some work... but still great, just too bad Plasmakrab, who created it, hasn't been heard of for a long time...

MarkSheppard April 22nd, 2016 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well now this is actually possible thanks to the latest NLOS code in MBT:

Object 299 Missile tank, with 30 x VLS missiles.

Anthony_Scott July 12th, 2016 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan (Post 828088)
I still got the cold war mod for v5.5, anyone needing it? I am now playing it with some later version, even v.8 is possible, just takes some work... but still great, just too bad Plasmakrab, who created it, hasn't been heard of for a long time...

Yes I would like to have it if possible because many of the links are saying 404 and I would like to find a place to host host these mods more permanently. Thanks!

MarkSheppard July 14th, 2016 04:09 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing it as well. the copy I have on my website at

http://alternatewars.com/Games/SP/MB...T_CWC_v0-8.zip

is only v0.8 for MBT 5.0; I'd be very interested in seeing if you have a newer version than what I have.

iln82 June 3rd, 2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSheppard (Post 834743)
I wouldn't mind seeing it as well. the copy I have on my website at

http://alternatewars.com/Games/SP/MB...T_CWC_v0-8.zip

is only v0.8 for MBT 5.0; I'd be very interested in seeing if you have a newer version than what I have.

There seems to be a small misunderstanding; there is no newer version than 0.8. What Shan probably meant is that he modified the OOBs to work with the latest version.

BTW I am v e r y slowly (due to work commitments) working on a fully revamped version of the CW2020 mod for the WinSpMBT V11.0.

Sound has been corrected, new icons that have been added to the SHPs have been incorporated etc,etc.
So far the US, Russian, Greek, Turkish, Canadian, Dutch, Belgian, Danish & Canadian OOBs have been redone as I described above keeping most of the new items added by Plasmakrab and correcting some errors.

The only problem is that the game has been expanded to 2025 and I am at a loss what to do now. I could always stretch the dates another five years but it would take an awful amount of time to do so and I don't have the talent of Plasmakrab to do new icons.
As they are now, the redone OOBs work fine with the latest version of the game but they only go to 12/2020...:o

Warhero June 4th, 2017 07:05 AM

Iln, it's very appreciated (at least by me;)) if you are going to make CW mod into v.11. And what comes to 2025-thing, let be as they are now, ok? Everybody can add those 5 years with Mobhack if they really need to do so...

iln82 June 4th, 2017 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhero (Post 838636)
Iln, it's very appreciated (at least by me;)) if you are going to make CW mod into v.11. And what comes to 2025-thing, let be as they are now, ok?

Will do.
But don't hold your breath for updates...:D

iln82 June 29th, 2017 05:06 PM

Update on the project:

French, Polish, Czechoslovak & Hungarian OOBs completed.

Unfortunately the OOB of Arab Countries will need an enormous amount of work.
Yes, I am fully aware that these were meant to be imaginary OOBs but still having for example Chinese weapons :rolleyes:
in the Libyan OOB verges on the ridiculous...

Furthermore PlasmaKrab created a post 1990 East German OOB in place of Ukraine (obat79).
This unfortunately meant that you could not use his super cool new Russian tanks in a Russo-Ukranian war scenario.
So I did away with it, East Germany ends on 12/1991 and current Ukraine OOB stays.

Ah and Soviet Union now ends in 7/1991 so the Russian flag remains...

RecruitMonty July 1st, 2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iln82 (Post 838895)
Update on the project:

French, Polish, Czechoslovak & Hungarian OOBs completed.

Unfortunately the OOB of Arab Countries will need an enormous amount of work.
Yes, I am fully aware that these were meant to be imaginary OOBs but still having for example Chinese weapons :rolleyes:
in the Libyan OOB verges on the ridiculous...

Furthermore PlasmaKrab created a post 1990 East German OOB in place of Ukraine (obat79).
This unfortunately meant that you could not use his super cool new Russian tanks in a Russo-Ukranian war scenario.
So I did away with it, East Germany ends on 12/1991 and current Ukraine OOB stays.

Ah and Soviet Union now ends in 7/1991 so the Russian flag remains...

I believe Plasma's rationale for Chinese weapons in the Mid-East and North-African OOBs had something to do with China increasingly going it's own way regarding Communism from the late 70s on. It therefore stands to reason that they would supply weapons to the Mujas in Afghanistan etc. if the USSR is involved in conflicts over there. After all in this alt reality the Soviets are still a going concern and IRL the USSR and the PRC did not get on all that well from the 70s onwards.

I think you should give people the option of having the DDR (NVA) after December 1991. The more options the end user has the better. Trust me. I know a thing or two about giving them options. It is a bit more work - the NVA OOB was substantially modified, if memory serves - but the community will thank you for it in the end.

I also believe that, if you want to continue in the spirit of the mod changing the USSR into the Russian Federation after July 1991 is a little ... well ... counter productive.

iln82 July 1st, 2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecruitMonty (Post 838905)
I also believe that, if you want to continue in the spirit of the mod changing the USSR into the Russian Federation after July 1991 is a little ... well ... counter productive.

It's my fault for not mentioning it but I do not wish to continue with the CW2020 theme, actually the impetus for my work was to try out the new weapons systems that PlasmaKrab added in actual conflicts (Afghanistan, Iraq, Russo-Ukrainian War, Libyan/Syrian civil wars etc...) Hence doing away with East Germany and post 1991 USSR.

Please keep in mind that I created this for my own personal use and I only posted this to see if anyone else was interested. I have no interest whatsoever in alternate realities and maybe a better idea would be to just extract the new weapons systems like M200 Crusader, Comanche etc to the current OOBs. However it is much easier to modify PlasmaKrab's OOBs than to add the new units to the existing ones.

Now if people don't care for this, then fair enough I'll keep it to myself.

Regards

Warhero July 2nd, 2017 06:28 AM

Btw, if you want to have DDR continuing after December 1991, why you can't just move it's OOB into some else nation/OOB (let's say instead into UN OOB or some "minor" nation)? Then you could advance timeline into 2020's...

iln82 July 2nd, 2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhero (Post 838910)
Btw, if you want to have DDR continuing after December 1991, why you can't just move it's OOB into some else nation/OOB (let's say instead into UN OOB or some "minor" nation)? Then you could advance timeline into 2020's...

Sounds obvious but I didn't think of doing that.:doh:

Although I'll doubt I'll ever play with it, I'll redo East German OOB as well for completion.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Watch this space...:D

RecruitMonty July 5th, 2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iln82 (Post 838911)
Quote:

Although I'll doubt I'll ever play with it, I'll redo East German OOB as well for completion.

Don't forget to have a quick look at the base morale and troop quality settings for the DDR and the OOB you eventually choose to replace.

strykerpsg April 25th, 2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iln82 (Post 838911)
Quote:

iln82,

Thank you for continued work on this mod I enjoyed so many years ago. You mentioned you would possibly release this mod if anyone was interested. I am very interested......is it possible to get a current copy of what you've tweaked so far?

Much appreciated in advance sir.

Karagin April 26th, 2020 10:32 AM

I too would be interested in this mod.

iln82 May 18th, 2020 04:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for taking so long to reply.Haven't visited the forums for quite a while.

Like I said in a previous message I have loads of work commitments and lack the time to do much.

The ones that have had the most work done are the Russian and Turkish OOBs.
These are a "Work in Progress" & are in no way complete.

The main problem is that ALL the weapon sounds need to be changed to zero.
I have only done this in units I have used so far in battles, scenarios, etc.

I basically kept 80% of the work done by Plasmakrab and did only minor tweaks like using correct names, changing the icons for more recent ones, adding realistic loadouts for AC & removing some of the silly stuff (ASCOD AFVs for Turkey???:rolleyes:

I believe that you should be able to play a battle or even a generated campaign with no problems. Please write whatever issues you have since like I said there are still many things need fixing.

Plese note that Plasmakrab's OOBs end in 12/2020. I am open to help (icons, LBMs etc) & suggestions in what to add in order to expand the OOBs to a later date.

DISCLAIMER: These OOBs are ONLY to be used in conjunction with Plasmakrab's Cold War 2020 Mod for WinSPMBT; download link earlier in this thread. THEY WILL NOT WORK IN THE STANDARD GAME