.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dungeon Odyssey (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Lord of the rings module (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=15085)

gozman99 April 27th, 2003 04:59 PM

Lord of the rings module

if anyone is working on a lord of the rings module i'd be pleased to help. I can't do one on my own as i do not yet have the full Version of the game. I would be pleased to help you out with the art, coding or anything that you cannot do yourself.

henk brouwer April 28th, 2003 11:38 AM

Re: Lord of the rings module

Quote:

Originally posted by gozman99:
if anyone is working on a lord of the rings module i'd be pleased to help. I can't do one on my own as i do not yet have the full Version of the game. I would be pleased to help you out with the art, coding or anything that you cannot do yourself.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I haven't heard of anyone working on such a module. LOTR would be a great setting for a module though. There are a lot of nice themes for different maps: A mazelike map for the mines of Moria, A forestmap for the Ents, an something creepy for Mordor :-).

One drawback of the demo is that the maps are so boring and predictable. They should have put at least one of the more complicated maze-maps in the demo. (the icecaves instead of the desert town for example, much more fun to explore)

[ April 28, 2003, 10:40: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

bearclaw April 29th, 2003 12:44 PM

Alright. This is just creepy. I came to this forum for the specific purpose of saying that I am about to start designing a LOTR module and to see if anyone was willing to help.

Creepy. Stop reading my mind!!!

Anyway, I've got an idea for a module. My idea is HUGE however. Absolutely HUGE. Somewhere in the order of 25+ maps. Probably closer to 35 now that I think about it.

These are some of the ideas I've come up with
-classes: Hobbit, Wizard, Elf, Dwarf, Ranger, Fighter.
-maps from everything from Hobbiton and the Barrows to The Dead Marsh, Moria, Lorien Isengard, etc.
-full connectivity in that a character can follow the story or attempt to do it in other ways.
-with only one character, the rest would be represented by special items (Gimli's axe, Legolas's bow, etc.)

I can't think of a single aspect of DO that would me unmodded. Right down to custom terrain for such things as the Dead Marsh and the Barrows.

I've got modding figured out but I've only just dabbled. I expect something like this to take quite some time to complete.

Obviously, there is one other willing to help. Any others?

Akachaki April 29th, 2003 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bearclaw:
Obviously, there is one other willing to help. Any others?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you need graphics , i offer you my help. Im not a proffesionnal for DO graphics but i have some skills. you can send me a private message,

Thank you
Justin

henk brouwer April 29th, 2003 03:14 PM

I'm working on my own (small, 4 maps for first Version) module, so I don't have time to help directly. The module will have new maps and a lot of new graphics which could be usefull for a LOTR mod though. Especially for the death marshes, and maybe the Barrows.

bearclaw April 30th, 2003 07:43 AM

Because this is going to be so large, I was thinking of making this a collective work. Not sure how it will all turn out, but this way, even for the creators there will be some surprises. I've tried this method with Space Empires 4 mods and the end results have been very enjoyable.

Anyone who has ideas or suggestions, please, feel free to let me know.

Rollo April 30th, 2003 12:07 PM

This is a great idea http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif . I offer my help and counsel. Not sure how much actual work I can put into this, but feel free to use any of the stuff from Hack and Slash module.

some ideas:
1) The widerness map should be devided into several maps, of course (duh, I bet you thought of that yourself). Probably a 3x3 or 4x4 grid would work best. This way you can have different monsters in different areas in Middle Earth. From the occasional Nazgul in the wilderness around the Shire to hordes of Uruk-Hai around Isenguard and in Rohan.

2) maybe a good starting point would be the Council of Elrond, since you can also take a different character then Hobbit. (Well, this is assuming that the character is the Ringbearer, not sure if you want to do that ir not).

3) Other characters from the fellowship could be nicely implemented via summoning scrolls. Make a scroll 'Summon Legolas' then he will follow you. These scrolls should be specific items of course that can be gained at certain points in the quest.

Good luck and have fun with this http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif ,
Rollo

Roddd May 1st, 2003 01:30 AM

[QB]Because this is going to be so large, I was thinking of making this a collective work. Not sure how it will all turn out, but this way, even for the creators there will be some surprises. I've tried this method with Space Empires 4 mods and the end results have been very enjoyable.

Sounds like a good project. Break it up into parts and let us volunteer for sections. Aragorn's route thru the Paths of the Dead from Isengard to Gondor would be a lot of fun!

[ May 01, 2003, 00:34: Message edited by: Roddd ]

Roddd May 3rd, 2003 05:34 PM

[ May 03, 2003, 16:35: Message edited by: Roddd ]

bearclaw May 4th, 2003 12:40 AM

Quote:

This is a great idea http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif . I offer my help and counsel. Not sure how much actual work I can put into this, but feel free to use any of the stuff from Hack and Slash module.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks. I'll see what might work.

Quote:

some ideas:
1) The widerness map should be devided into several maps, of course (duh, I bet you thought of that yourself). Probably a 3x3 or 4x4 grid would work best. This way you can have different monsters in different areas in Middle Earth. From the occasional Nazgul in the wilderness around the Shire to hordes of Uruk-Hai around Isenguard and in Rohan.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind. I've got 24 map ideas so far and that's only up to the end of The Two Towers. I haven't seen the second movie yet and i'm re-reading the books for the first time since I was 14. What I do have is the BBC radio broadcast on 13 tapes. Works out great because I can make notes while listening.

Quote:

2) maybe a good starting point would be the Council of Elrond, since you can also take a different character then Hobbit. (Well, this is assuming that the character is the Ringbearer, not sure if you want to do that ir not).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I came to the same conclusion too. I'd really like to have Bree, Weathertop and the barrows in there though. Here's a thought. Is there anyway, can anyone think of a way to make it that the starting place is different depending on the class chosen? If so, the Hobbits could start in Hobbiton, Elves in Mirkwood, etc. And the first quest for everyone would be to get to Rivendall. I'm thinking now that the story would be carried by the quests. Once you've left Rivendale, the quest would be to get down the Anduin to Rohan. There, you could take one of two qwests depending on how you wanted to progress the story. You could accept the RingBearer Quest and journy to Mordor, or take the Warring Quest which ends up leading to Gondor.

I'm now putting together the Quest list that would implement this.

Quote:

3) Other characters from the fellowship could be nicely implemented via summoning scrolls. Make a scroll 'Summon Legolas' then he will follow you. These scrolls should be specific items of course that can be gained at certain points in the quest.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Heyyy!! I like this idea. Didn't even think of that. My thought was to have each character represented by different items (Gimli's ax, Gandalf's Staff), but this is much better.

Rollo May 4th, 2003 02:15 AM

Quote:

...Here's a thought. Is there anyway, can anyone think of a way to make it that the starting place is different depending on the class chosen? If so, the Hobbits could start in Hobbiton, Elves in Mirkwood, etc. And the first quest for everyone would be to get to Rivendall...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, that is pretty easy actually, if you don't mind splitting the campaign into chapters.

So, you'd have Chapter 1: Hobbit or Chapter 1: Elf with different starting points and perhaps quest, but can reuse all the maps that you will need for other parts anyway. So it just a matter of changing a few things.
All these 'opening adventures' would end in Rivendell. Then you would start Chapter 2 with the character you used before. Actually that way you could make branching storylines.

Rollo

bearclaw May 4th, 2003 02:34 AM

Perfect. For a story as complex as this, that'll probably be the way to go.

bearclaw May 4th, 2003 06:18 AM

Having the module in different chapters could make creating the game easier as it all wouldn't have to be completed at the same time.

Here's an idea (call for volenteers):
The basic story from Hobbition to Rivendell is known, but is there anyone willing to do a sub-story for
-Elf
-Dwarf
-Fighter
-Ranger
-Fighter
-Wizard

Anyone want to volenteer to design a short first chapter for these character types? The Ranger adventure would be to Bree instead of to Rivendell, but all the others would have their destinations to Rivendell.

I've got a list of certain aspects for continuity reasons, but other than that, these 1st chapter adeventures would be short (2-3 maps tops.) and completely up to the individual authors.

If you are interested, give me an email and I can provide some details to make sure it fit into the whole scheme of things.

[ May 04, 2003, 05:22: Message edited by: bearclaw ]

henk brouwer May 4th, 2003 11:28 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Rollo:
Quote:

[qb]...Here's a thought. Is there anyway, can anyone think of a way to make it that the starting place is different depending on the class chosen? If so, the Hobbits could start in Hobbiton, Elves in Mirkwood, etc. And the first quest for everyone would be to get to Rivendall...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think that it's possible to have one way level connections in the game. you could make a first level with one way connections to each of the starting quests (this would not be part of the actual game, just level selection)people could cheat and enter the dwarven levels with a wizard or elf though.

Is it possible to set the starting equipment of a character class? that way you could make them start with a key for their own quest-entrance..

Rollo May 4th, 2003 12:21 PM

Henk, good idea. Yes, all of this would be possible. Make a minimap with several doors all locked with a special key type and change the startout equpment for each class.
The equipment can be set indivudually in classes.txt file. The individual keys need to have entries in Classes_ItemClasses.txt in the \data folder, not the regular Main_ItemClasses.txt in tiles folder.

Bearclaw, I am not volunteering to write a chapter 1 (not enough time at the moment), but here is just one idea for the Elf. How about the quest for that would not be 'go to Rivendell', but to come to rescue to a group of hobbits and take a wounded one over the river?

Rollo

[ May 04, 2003, 11:22: Message edited by: Rollo ]

bearclaw May 4th, 2003 03:37 PM

Yes. That is a good one. I was hoping to make it so that each class's chapter 1 would provide a different reason to go to Rivendell. This is a good idea.

In this call for volenteers, I don't need the chapter 1 maps and all to be made. Just the outline for what the adventure would be and perhaps some preliminary work on some of the .txt files. Of course, if someone's willing to put it all together, I won't say no http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Later tonight I'm going to post a complete selection of all the aspects for this module and if anyone is willing to take up a part they can let me know.

I REALLY like the idea for the class keys. That'll be the way to go for sure. Excellent.

henk brouwer May 7th, 2003 01:24 AM

Quote:

I REALLY like the idea for the class keys. That'll be the way to go for sure. Excellent.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe you could even use the keys later in the module, (give wizards acces to 'special' shops with magic stuff, that other characters shouldn't have etc) I can't look into the text files from where I am, but that would require a key that isn't 'consumed' on use. I'm not sure whether that is possible or not.

Also I'm not applying for writing a first chapter unless it's a long-term thing http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon9.gif . I'm working on my own module and work on that is proceeding way too slow even without sideprojects.. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon9.gif I could do some graphics though, what do you need?

[ May 06, 2003, 12:26: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

bearclaw May 7th, 2003 07:59 AM

Graphics Needed:
Characters
-Hobbits
-Dwarves
-elves
-Nazgul (horse and winged)
-Ents
-Tenticals (for the Pool outside Moria)
-Balrog
-Worgs
-Shelob
-Plus special ones for the main characters

Terrain
-Mordor
-Dead Marshes
-The Shire
-Paths of the Dead

Towns (I'm thinking of 2 kinds of graphics for each town. One for the 'outside' view, and one for terrain inside each town.)
-Rivendell
-Lorien
-Edoras
-Minas Tirith
-Minas Morgul
-Bree (probably not nessesary)
-Hobbiton
-Henith Anon (again, probably not nessesary)
-Orthac
-Dunharrow
-The Black Gate of Mordor
-WeatherTop (just 'outside' view)

Others
-Eye of Sauron
-Mithiral Items
-Lembas
-Numemor Unique Items

These are just what I thought of while listening to LOTR on tape. If there are more ideas and/or submissions, I won't say no. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif I was also concidering a darker, more overgrown look for Fangorn, but the standard woods would do.

henk brouwer May 12th, 2003 10:23 AM

Quote:

I was also concidering a darker, more overgrown look for Fangorn, but the standard woods would do.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Have you found the easter egg level in the Hack and Slash module? It has a nice overgrown look to it, I think it uses some new tree and forest graphics by David Gervais.

I'll see what I can do for the other graphics. I'm working on some terrain pictures and a map that could also be used for the dead marshes and/or the paths of the dead, I'll try and post a screenshot this evening. I also made some pictures of dwarves/elves/wizards some time ago, feel free to use those.

edit: it seems I have to edit every post I make to fix mistakes... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/image...s/rolleyes.gif

[ May 12, 2003, 09:34: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

bearclaw May 12th, 2003 12:49 PM

Thanks. I haven't had the time to go through your Hack and Slash mod yet (although I have tried it a few times. Very nice indeed).

I've come across a new problem though, There is a set of fields in the XXXX_Tiles.txt file to set the connection type for the N,E,S,W sides of a tile. Are these not enabled? Because they don't seem to do what they are suppose to.

And another thing. I've done the Terrain and Tile files for the Starting Chamber map (where you choose which door to pass depending on your charcter) and Hobbiton. But in the Mapgen utility, I only have access to the Hobbiton Tile file instead of both of the one's I've got so far. Any suggestions?

Rollo May 12th, 2003 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by henk brouwer:
Maybe you could even use the keys later in the module, (give wizards acces to 'special' shops with magic stuff, that other characters shouldn't have etc) I can't look into the text files from where I am, but that would require a key that isn't 'consumed' on use. I'm not sure whether that is possible or not...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am not 100% sure, but I think keys are always consumed when used. You could of course add multiple keys to the starting characters. Enough supply to open all the 'character specific' doors in the game.
But I have to point out that this a very imperfect solution, becuase of Thieves lockpicking.

If restricting certain items to classes that can be done as a restriction of the item itself:
Requirement Type, Class Required.

Quote:

graphics needed: elves, ents
I was also concidering a darker, more overgrown look for Fangorn, but the standard woods would do.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As Henk already suggested, check out the forest in Hack and Slash. It has elves and ents and has a somewhat darker feel. With just a few tweaks to the trees that are allowed for random selection, it can also be made even darker.

Quote:

Thanks. I haven't had the time to go through your Hack and Slash mod yet (although I have tried it a few times. Very nice indeed).

I've come across a new problem though, There is a set of fields in the XXXX_Tiles.txt file to set the connection type for the N,E,S,W sides of a tile. Are these not enabled? Because they don't seem to do what they are suppose to.

And another thing. I've done the Terrain and Tile files for the Starting Chamber map (where you choose which door to pass depending on your charcter) and Hobbiton. But in the Mapgen utility, I only have access to the Hobbiton Tile file instead of both of the one's I've got so far. Any suggestions?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you want just a quick look at the forest, but don't have much time: Go to \Hack and Slash\Data\ModuleData.txt and change 'Starting map' from 2 to 20 http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif .

I am not sure what exactly your problem is with the connections and the placement of the tiles in Mapgen. Please post all relevant files here or send them to me per email (snickelsen@web.de). I can have a look at them, if you wish.

Rollo

henk brouwer May 12th, 2003 02:52 PM

The screenshots I promised earlier are posted in the "Sneak Preview" thread.

henk brouwer May 13th, 2003 01:59 AM

Quote:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The hack and Slash Mod was done by Rollo, not by me. It's a great mod especially some of the new levels

Quote:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They should work. The mapgenerator uses these connection types when generating a map. It will make sure that a north connection that is set to one will conect to a south connection that is set to 1 on another tile, simmillar for other directions.

The mapgenerator will make mistakes When you only have a very small tiles.txt file, or when it can't find tiles with connection types it needs, in such cases it may place tiles on locations where they shouldn't be according to their connection types.

You may also want to double check that you didn't accidently set the connection types wrong.. happens a lot to me http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/blush.gif

Quote:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Strange.. are you sure the file isn't misnamed? I think it has to end with _tiles.txt . Is the header section present in both the text files? (the section which has the lines about preset tile-locations etc)

Hope this helps.. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

bearclaw May 15th, 2003 09:32 PM

Quote:

I've done the Terrain and Tile files for the Starting Chamber map (where you choose which door to pass depending on your charcter) and Hobbiton. But in the Mapgen utility, I only have access to the Hobbiton Tile file instead of both of the one's I've got so far. Any suggestions?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Alright. Found the problem with this error. I forgot the 's' on the end of _Tiles.

Ooops. Fixed now.

But now there is another problem. For 2 tile sets (Starting Chamber and the Shire map) the mapgen won't access the Terrain files for either of these. The third map I have (Hobbiton) works just fine except that the terrain file has to be "hobbiton-terrain.txt" instead of "hobbiton_terrain.txt". Strange. Any ideas? And yes, I've already checked, checked and re-checked for spelling errors.

Rollo May 16th, 2003 03:51 AM

Quote:

...And yes, I've already checked, checked and re-checked for spelling errors.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Bearclaw,
I looked at your files and located the problems. I hate to say it, but there were indeed spelling errors that caused this.
Fixed files should be in your mailbox by now.

Have fun, http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
Rollo

bearclaw May 17th, 2003 04:07 PM

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/shock.gif thanks http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/shock.gif

bearclaw May 26th, 2003 11:14 AM

I must be getting better at modding. Done 2 complete maps without needing any assistance!!! Yah for me!!

But now I've run into another situation. There don't seem to be any terrain pics appropriate for Rivendell (which is the map I'm about to start work on.) Is there anyone with any sort of graphics experaince willing to do up some pics for me? I don't need the actual terrains created, just some things like walls and such that I can use to create the terrains I'll need.

Any takers? My CG skills are... well, nil.

henk brouwer March 6th, 2004 11:04 AM

-BUMP-
just to make this a bit easier to find..

Quote:

Graphics Needed:
Characters
-Hobbits
-Dwarves
-elves
-Nazgul (horse and winged)
-Ents
-Tenticals (for the Pool outside Moria)
-Balrog
-Worgs
-Shelob
-Plus special ones for the main characters

Terrain
-Mordor
-Dead Marshes
-The Shire
-Paths of the Dead

Towns (I'm thinking of 2 kinds of graphics for each town. One for the 'outside' view, and one for terrain inside each town.)
-Rivendell
-Lorien
-Edoras
-Minas Tirith
-Minas Morgul
-Bree (probably not nessesary)
-Hobbiton
-Henith Anon (again, probably not nessesary)
-Orthac
-Dunharrow
-The Black Gate of Mordor
-WeatherTop (just 'outside' view)

Others
-Eye of Sauron
-Mithiral Items
-Lembas
-Numemor Unique Items

These are just what I thought of while listening to LOTR on tape. If there are more ideas and/or submissions, I won't say no. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif I was also concidering a darker, more overgrown look for Fangorn, but the standard woods would do.

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">

bearclaw March 7th, 2004 08:26 AM

Thanks! Just an update. Turns out that my wife, unknowingly, tossed out the papers that I had done many notes on, so I've been set back a bit. Well, more than a bit. But not completely. I'm just putting the finishing touches on my Dark Nova 3 Mod for SEIV Gold, and then I'm gonna focus on this one. I've got 2 another 2 weeks traveling spending evenings in a hotel, so the time is there. I'll start putting regular updates and/or assistance requests up probably by Tuesday. In the meantime, feel free to make any suggestions of what you would like to see in a LOTR mod. Can't promise anything but some ideas might spurn me to action http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

henk brouwer March 8th, 2004 12:26 PM

I've mannaged to put together some hobbit pictures. Is the email in your profile still valid? If so I'll send them there.

(Does anyone know how you can upload stuff in the mod forums? It seems to have changed, and I can't find an upload/attach function anywhere http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon9.gif , I had some other pictures (not LOTR related) that I wanted to upload.)

[ March 08, 2004, 11:03: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

Akachaki March 8th, 2004 04:27 PM

I think they disabled it because evry post in the mod forum, since a certain date, dont have their files hosted by shrapnel. Im not an 100 percent sure tought but I dont see any other possibility.

narf poit chez BOOM March 8th, 2004 10:07 PM

every time they upgraded the forums, it broke the upload, which was something they'd jammed on there. the Last upload broke it completely.

bearclaw March 9th, 2004 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by henk brouwer:
I've mannaged to put together some hobbit pictures. Is the email in your profile still valid? If so I'll send them there.

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">yes. Me email is correct.

henk brouwer March 9th, 2004 10:13 PM

I send the file.

Hmm to bad about the mod forum thing.. we don't really have a fansite to use as backup.

It seems like shrapnel is looking for someone to solve the problem. Seems like it could take a while though.

bearclaw March 18th, 2004 08:58 PM

Sorry for the lack of response here. Got kind of busy then put my back out. Really sucks.

No progress yet on the mod, but I got the hobbit pics, thanks henk.

narf poit chez BOOM March 24th, 2004 07:05 AM

Good luck with your back. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif