.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps and Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Endgame Diversity Mod - v1.2 released (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45056)

llamabeast March 6th, 2010 06:45 PM

Endgame Diversity Mod - v1.2 released

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.llamaserver.net/diversityPreview.gif

March 2011: Version 1.2 released. Assuming no bugs have been introduced, this is a stable version and no changes are anticipated for some time. I'll leave version 1.1 available for people who may need it to sub into old games etc. Note that EDM 1.2 is integrated into CBM 1.83, so this mod should only now be needed for games using no CBM or earlier versions of CBM.

Changelog for version 1.2:

- Moved ID numbers around so mod is compatible with all of the nation mods in Sombre's [MC] Mod Catalogue (see other forum), as well as CBM 1.6.
- Roc now has "Roc beak" attack which is armour piercing
- Roc gained powerful one-use AOE 1 "Aerial Dive" attack.
- Zmey much cheaper: 25 gems (was 35)
- Mechanical giant cost increase to 20 gems (16)
- Cyclops cost increase to 35 gems (30)
- Grendelkin cost decrease to 35 gems (40)
- Asynja randoms reduced from 210% AEDB to 160% AEDB
- Treant: cost reduced to 30 (40). Research level to 7 (8)
- Ettin: Cost reduced to 14 (18). Research level to 5 (7).
- Ettins gained 50% shock resistance, cold resistance and poison resistance.
- Asynjas gained good Enchanted Sword and Weightless Shield items.
- Kraken magic: Previously was W3E1B1 in EDM, W1, 150% WEN in CBM. Now W2B1 + 50% W + 50% E + 50% N in both.
- Kraken: Cost 30 gems in EDM, 16 in CBM. Now costs 20.

Changelog for version 1.1 (stable version):

- Reduced Roc's gem cost to 18 (25) (no longer that powerful since its magic was reduced to A2 in the last version).
- Increased Roc's patrol bonus to 60 (50) (eagle-eyed!).
- Reduced Kraken's research level to 6 (7) (so it can actually be helpful in underwater wars, which tend to be over by the truly late game).
- Increased Firebird's research level to 6 (5) (don't want people annihilating Ermor with the little bird *too* early).
- Moved all weapon numbers into the 900s (800s), to make it easier for Sombre to make combo mods. Let's hope I didn't make a mistake!

Changelog for version 1.04:

- Reduced Roc's magic to A2 (was A3). This is to control access to powerful air magic for non-air nations - summonable A3 opened up Air too much.
- Roc stat changes: shock resistance 100 (was 175), defence 14 (11), precision 16 (12) (eyes of a bird of prey after all), patrol 50 (40), siege bonus 40 (30), hp 80 (70).
- Reduced Grendelkin's strength to 38 (was 45), purely on thematic grounds; he remains easily the strongest creature in the game (apart from the Maker of Ruins).
- Shishi attack reduced to 12 (15 with quickness), a reduction of 5.
- Kraken goes to 180 hitpoints (140), 20 strength (18).
- Significant changes to Kraken magic: has lost linked sorcery random, is now always the same: W3E1B1. I know the blood is odd, but it is a thematic thing that I like, so there.
- Rooted treants are no longer immobile. They still have map move zero, but can move very slowly in battle. This is to prevent aggravating situations/tactics like teleporting an oracle to fight an attacking treant, so that the treant dies from the turn limit (unable to walk to the oracle).
- Treants gained mapmove 2 in forests.
- Updated treant description to add clarity to forest bonuses.
- Zmey strength brought back to 24 (28), firebreath is first weapon (hence always fires; a buff), tail got -4 to attack (makes big difference to repel).
- Fixed issue zzcat spotted with Zmey, whereby the 2-headed form had itself as a #firstshape and would therefore gradually heal afflictions.
- Updated spell list (below and at the top of the mod code).

Changelog for version 1.03:

- Incorporated pyg's changes to give compatibility with CBM.
- Summon Roc reduced to research level 6 (was 7), since his use is rather niche
- Cost of ettin reduced to 18 gems.
- Description of ettin slightly changed to explain they are the strongest of their kind.
- Most of ettin's stats slightly improved.
- Firebird is Conjuration 5 (was 6)
- I would like to highlight that the Firebird actually brings good events as well as preventing bad ones (this is not a change)
- Modified description for final wendigo state to indicate that it will grow no more.
- Wendigo cost reduced to 24 gems (was 30) and researchlevel to 6 (was 7) on account of the time it takes to become useful.
- Wendigo's size stat actually now changes over time (starts at 2, increases to 6).
- Cost of mechanical giant reduced to 16 gems (was 25).
- Large stat boosts for Zmey: protection 22 (was 18) strength 28 (24) attack 18 (14) def 14 (12) fire breath damage 14 (10), all forms +20 hit points
- Zmey gained a tail attack, which is effective for parrying
- Zmey is Conjuration 6 (was 7), 35 gems (was 30)
- Asynja renamed to Awakened Asynja to avoid confusion with the pretender. Additionally her description has been modified a bit to fit with the name.
- Asynja gained glamour and stealth.
- Asynja randoms changed to 210% AEDB.
- Ember Lord lost 100% ED random (just has 10% FED now).
- Cyclops: Magic changed to E3F1 (was E3 + myriad randoms).
- Changed cyclops name ("Granite Cyclops") and description to distinguish it from the pretender
- Changed cyclops stats: higher att, def, prec, prot, slightly lower hp
- Cyclops only needs E5 and 30 gems to summon now (was E6 and 35 gems)
- Cyclops is now less "purple" following numerous purpleness complaints
- Grendelkin's attack reduced from 16 to 12
- Shishis got +1 to attack
- All treant forms got +20 hp

Original post:

Here at very long last is my long-muttered-about Endgame Diversity Mod.

The purpose of the mod is to give a greater range of choices in the lategame. Hopefully, no longer must even Tir na n'Og aim to get death magic and Tartarians. Instead they can battle Ermor's Tartarians with Treants and Aesir, while the Abysians unleash the power of the Ember Lords, and Atlantis fields great krakens from the the deeps.

This mod adds 13 new summon spells to the game. Four of the resulting summons are modified versions of base game pretenders or monsters, while the other nine are original. They are quite variable in power level. The unique True Firebird is quite feeble in itself, but situationally may be very powerful. The Grendelkin is probably the strongest creature in the game physically, but has no magic. The Wendigo starts off weak but eventually becomes formidable. The Ember Lord is probably the most powerful.

The thing I am most uncertain of is the costing for the summons. I am fairly satisfied with their stats for the most part (though comments are welcome). However, I really struggled to choose the research level, path requirements and gem costs, so input there would be very welcome. Until I have had a chance to process such feedback, this should probably be considered a beta version.

The spells added are (updated for v1.1):

"Quest for the Firebird" - F4, Conjuration 6, 20 gems
"Summon Zmey" - F4, Conjuration 6, 35 gems
"Awaken Ember Lord" - F6, Conjuration 9, 60 gems
"Summon Shishis" - A4 - Conjuration 6, 30 gems
"Summon Roc" - A4 - Conjuration 6, 18 gems
"Awaken Aesir" - A5 - Conjuration 8, 35 gems
"Mechanical Giant" - E5 - Construction 7, 16 gems
"Awaken Cyclops" - E5 - Conjuration 8, 30 gems
"Great Kraken" - W4 - Enchantment 6, 30 gems
"Call Grendelkin" - W3E3 - Enchantment 8, 40 gems
"Curse of the Wendigo" - W3D3 - Thaumaturgy 6, 24 gems
"Wild Ettin"- N3E2 - Enchantment 7, 18 gems
"Awaken Treant" - N5 - Enchantment 8, 40 gems

I have added an additional nation in EA, called "Endgame Diversity Mod, Testing Nation". It is able to recruit all of the new units. The idea is that it will be easily possible to see the stats and magic randoms of the new creatures without having to do lots and lots of research. However, if you enjoy surprises, don't look at the testing nation and wait till you summon the creature!

I hope people enjoy the mod, and look forward to some comments!

Trumanator March 6th, 2010 07:23 PM

Re: Endgame Diversity Mod - Lategame summons, released at last!

Good god how shall I repay you?! :O

Globu March 6th, 2010 08:30 PM

Wow! Looks great!

I'm inserting it into my ongoing late SP games now to try 'em out. Will give feedback from that perspective.

Alpine Joe March 6th, 2010 10:12 PM

Wow. This is a really excellent mod and I look forward to playing many games using it. Thank you for this.

Ironhawk March 6th, 2010 11:26 PM

Looks interesting! I'll try it out when i get a chance. The end game could surely use more diversity.

rdonj March 7th, 2010 12:09 AM

I'm most concerned about the grendelkin right now, actually. With their stats and full slots, those are downright dangerous little monsters. Not that the path combination is terribly common... what can actually summon these other than patala's naga mages?

kianduatha March 7th, 2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdonj (Post 734393)
I'm most concerned about the grendelkin right now, actually. With their stats and full slots, those are downright dangerous little monsters. Not that the path combination is terribly common... what can actually summon these other than patala's naga mages?

the first two Atlantises, EA Agartha, Patala, and amusingly enough Jomon.

LumenPlacidum March 7th, 2010 12:55 AM

Wow, I'll really have to go over the top to get a balrog sprite to beat that one when I do them for my next mod...

Raiel March 7th, 2010 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdonj (Post 734393)

Quite a few nations with the readily available W boosters. Any E2W1 mage with a boot-slot will be able to do so with construction-6 completed. They might need to be tamed a little. (On the other hand, leaving them unchanged may see more nations striving for the elemental staves.)

Great work all around, Llamabeast.

I do wonder if maybe the Wild Ettin should be made slightly cheaper - he's quite vulnerable to swarming with low def and prot, as well as a low MR. Bringing him up to par with most of the other summons will require a significant gem/time investment - and nature gems typically have many other uses. I suspect that without equipment on either side, three Sleepers (CBM cost) would make short work of him, but I haven't tested it. Finally, summoning him has a cross-path requirement.

I wouldn't be against the Shishis having 0-enc (since they auto-cast quickness and have limited slots), but I understand that there's an undead/construct theme going for most such units.

I feel the Firebird could auto-cast Phoenix Pyre without tipping him out of balance. I instinctively related him to the phoenix mentally, so if that doesn't fit his theme please pretend I didn't post that last sentence.

Amusingly enough, I was least impressed by the units modelled after pretenders. (This is not a criticism - your custom work just impressed me that much.)

Jarkko March 7th, 2010 06:50 AM

Nice work!

I am not entirely sure the price on the Wild Ettin and Tree-ants is fine. Compare for example the price of Tree-ant to summoning a tarrasque and GoRin that, or the price of summoning a couple Sleepers compared to the price of the Ettin.