.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   World Supremacy (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=230)
-   -   Request for more cooperation in order to improve the game (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47642)

spillblood August 1st, 2011 05:40 AM

Request for more cooperation in order to improve the game

Hey, since the last active threads contain mostly complaints and are getting shut down by Shrapnel because of that, I want to start this thread to resume some sort of cooperation between Shrapnel, Malfador and the remaining community. I'm going to start by citing some answers to support tickets and E-Mails that clearly state what Malfador and Shrapnel want from us in order to continue improving the game. See, I'm not interested in getting an excuse from them. It's much too late, and it's simply no use. What we need is willing beta testers, and a community willing to help in fixing the problems of this game.
And because of Shrapnel's reactions to remove any sort of criticism of their methods here, we need to stop criticisizing and complaining and need to resume working together with them. So: Here are the E-Mails in question. They need to be reposted here because the last thread that contained them was removed:

spillblood August 1st, 2011 05:54 AM

Re: Request for more cooperation in order to improve the game

First, Aaron's words:

The first one was made recently:
[quote]I've already made those posts in the past and no one responded. Even you did
not not respond with the items I requested. It looks like 1.09 will be the
last.

And this clearly states his wishes in order to be able to improve the AI:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malfador Machinations
Hi All,

Yes, I have received the manifestos, and yes I have read the forums. 75% of the manifestos are change and addition suggestions. The remaining 25% are general descriptions of why the AI is not strong enough. General descriptions are very difficult to reproduce. I need specifics.

The following information should be in bug reports:
1. Version of the Game
2. Type of game you're playing - Single Player, Multi Player, Hotseat, TCP/IP.
3. Section of the game - Movement, Combat, Install, Purchasing, AI, etc.
4. Detailed Description
5. Why you feel this is incorrect behavior.
6. Steps to reproduce
7. Savegame
8. Screenshots
9. Debug Log

Obviously, you can't provide all of the preceeding information in every case. But savegames and screenshots are very important. AI actions often develop over several turns. I need to be able to see what the player is doing, and how the AI is reacting to it. AI behavior is strongly dictated by the player's actions. A different player will get a different reaction.

Aaron
The problem was: No user sent in support tickets containing this information, so Shrapnel and Malfador assume there are no problems. And the only way to change their opinion is : SEND IN SUPPORT TICKETS CONTAINING ALL PROBLEMS YOU ENCOUNTERED WITH THE GAME'S AI, WITH FEATURE REQUESTS ETC.
I'm not going to repeat this anymore. Anyone who isn't willing to do this should simply leave. I don't care about you. I've simply changed my mind and want to see some action again.
And I'll be sure to comply with this myself and send in some bug reports. Please make sure you ONLY use the support system in the Gamer Front/the official Shrapnel shop, because Shrapnel and Malfador will disregard any reports made in the forums, even in the official bug report threads you see at the top of the page when you enter these forums. We have made manifestos and bug reports there after patch 1.09 was released, but Malfador simply decided to ignore them. And since we didn't use the support system to send them in, Shrapnel assumed there were no bug reports/ feature request. I think this makes the point what you must do, but I'll add another statement by customer support here:

Quote:

Hi spillblood (name changed):

Let me assure you that any reports that come through customer support are discussed with Aaron. What is reported in the forums is between you and the other users and fans of the game. Only reports through customer service are considered by Shrapnel. Now having said that I do know that Aaron is aware of the reports in the forums. The problems our developers face is that they have limited resources to work on their projects and to upgrade a preexisting game they must have a substational database of problems to fix to stop other projects for an upgrade. Your insistance that the AI needs improvement is just not supported by customer support requests at this time. Even of you count the forums posts on AI, you are only looking at less than 10 complaints. That is just not enough to drop everything to rush to fix the problem.

Most of our developers release patches on a schedule - 6 months or a year - and are not patching games month after month. We have many more positive customer support tickets, talking about how much the game is enjopyed, than negative tickets complaining of problems. We will continue to follow the AI issue and if we see eenough requests for change, we will make it a top priority.

As to the banning of a forum member it is our policy not to diiscuss these issues with anyone other than the person disciplined. I hope you understand.

Best regards,

Tim Brooks
Customer Support
The Gamers Front
www.GamersFront.com
Shrapnel Games, Inc.
www.ShrapnelGames.com

I think this details Shrapnel's opinion. You know what you must do, DO IT!
There's not other way to get further patches for this game and revive the community. We must play by Shrapnel's rules!
Please send your support requests here:
https://www.gamersfront.com/store/support.php

spillblood August 1st, 2011 06:07 AM

Any readers of the Space Empires IV & V- subforums, please visit this page and join the discussion there. People with SE IV or V modding experience could be of use here!
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...332#post781332

spillblood August 2nd, 2011 08:13 AM

Here's some additional info for modders I've already pointed out in the Space Empires forums:
My most important finding when checking the WS-folders: It doesn't have any of those .scr/ scripting files that were mentioned on the Space Empires discussion thread before. This probably means the AI isn't moddable, because I've not found any AI- entries in the text files that can be edited. It also simply means the AI isn't scripted like in Space Empires, but actually reacts to player actions. I think Aaron pointed that out in some forum posts here before, and I think it's the main cause he has problems improving it.
BUT, EVERYTHING ELSE, all unit pictures, all terrain tiles, all research items, every territory name, all sound effects, and all effects themselves, are in fact easily moddable via simple text files:

Effects.txt
GameSettings.txt
HelpText.txt
MainFonts.txt
MapTypes.txt
NationNames.txt
PlayerNames.txt
RegionNames.txt
SoundEffects.txt
Technology.txt
Terrain_Tiles.txt
Terrain_Tiles.txt

I can't attach them here, but they are included in the demo, too.
All image files can be replaced by own files, and in the text files links to these different pictures can be specified, so the look is completely moddable, plus all unit capabilities. I think you could turn it into a fantasy or sci fi game if you wanted. Seems you can also change the placement and amount of starting forces. You see, there hasn't been much modding activity. The only mods that came out were some simple mods that changed unit values, prices or single pictures (for example a different picture for tech level 1, 2 and 3 tanks).
But the possibilities are MUCH higher.

Here's more info for people who have downloaded the demo: It's also moddable. The files you need for changing any settings, graphics etc. are located in
...\World Supremacy Demo\GameTypes\Standard\data
These are the exact same files as in my full version. I think the demo is only restricted in turns you are able to play and in number of players etc.
So, please take a closer look at the demo again, if you don't want to buy the game.

We need to resume creating mods for this game, so all people who have experience with this, please check your full version or the demo.
BUT, I think the AI can only be fixed by Aaron himself.

spillblood August 2nd, 2011 09:55 AM

My last action: I've sent a PM (to S.R. Krol), a support ticket and an E-Mail to Aaron Hall (Malfador) requesting an official modding guide for World Supremacy on the product page. I think this would provide further incentive to get people to start modding the game again.:)

JCrowe August 2nd, 2011 01:02 PM

Sorry Dude - I think the patient flatlined after v1.09 and we've been pounding on the chest of a dead man for months.

1.) The game started way flawed, and was only improved a little bit after considerable correspondence and wrangling.

If Aaron had played his own game, most of these issues should have been as self-evident to him as they were to us. He either played it and did not care, or did not play and did not care when alerts can flooding in. One of his own beta testers called him out in this forum with a list of issues that nearly mirrored our own submissions, tit for tat.

2.) When we began to squawk about game flaws, he solicited suggestions - but didn't give us directions.

It wasn't until ... six? seven months? after release and tons of correspondence later that he bothered to tell anyone that "oh, by the way, if the problem is not described in this exact format with this exact support, I'm going to crumple it up, toss in the wastebasket, and set it on fire. And I'll use natural functions to extinguish the flames."

But again, it all seems rather disingenuous. Because if 40 customers complain that the AI is not reacting, or just bum-rushes in combat, or dancing in a circle while wearing a set of bananas tied to its ears, then format or no format, it's not too much to assume that the average person might find that reason enough to investigate. That a problem might exist. And even if you don't trust the description and stories you're getting from the front, it takes all of two hours to play the game and find out for yourself, firsthand.

At the very least, you might go ahead and tell the customers that their 'insight' is cute, but it has to be in X format in order for you to act. I mean, if you demand that I dance in a circle with bananas tied to my ears while chanting my problems to the grooves of Brittany Spears, then why not send my email back with a note saying, "here's the dance, get started if you're serious." ? Why wait until HALF A YEAR of total radio silence has passed before even bringing it up in 'casual' conversation?

3.) I will die one day.

Honestly. It will happen. It's the inevitable consquence of life, like taxes, cancer, and abject humiliation. So the info about the development and patch cycles at Malf or etc. are cute, but really - what are we waiting for? World Supremacy 2015? Will this game actually get fixed before they plant me in my grave? Will WS be a joy and a pleasure I bequeath to my great-grandchildren? A moment of solace in a world now ruled by dirty, gun-toting apes and indignant leading men with hot, speechless babes? Will WS be the 'next big thing' amongst the Morlocks, or just another curiosity to the giant crabs living under the great pale sun? Time waits for no man.

That includes certain developers.

If Malf is serious, or if they get serious, I'm sure we'll know. To date, they haven't, and they ain't.

Right now, Malf is the one that needs to step up.

Skirmisher August 2nd, 2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCrowe (Post 781384)

1.) The game started way flawed, and was only improved a little bit after considerable correspondence and wrangling.

Right now, Malf is the one that needs to step up.

Amen

This guy is one laxidazical developer.

I think he's waiting for the game to fix itself.

Gandalf Parker August 2nd, 2011 04:46 PM

You guys realize that you are shooting SpillBloods efforts here, right?
And apparently, your own.

Skirmisher August 2nd, 2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker (Post 781397)

Well Gandalf,

I don't expect anything at this point.

But I did PAY for a product that S**ks.

So as I see it,I can SAY anything I want to,within certain limits.

Gandalf Parker August 2nd, 2011 06:20 PM

Of course you can. Im just wondering why.
Its counter to getting what you want. So you would rather just keep the game the way it is so you can rant?

Skirmisher August 2nd, 2011 06:31 PM

Do you really think that anything is going to happen just because spillblood has started a new campaign?

Skirmisher August 2nd, 2011 07:09 PM

Sorry Spillblood,I'll stay out of this from here on out.

Good luck.

Gandalf Parker August 2nd, 2011 07:18 PM

I have no idea. But it seems like he is trying.
And some of the comments Ive seen are more likely to turn away any help than to get any.

JCrowe August 3rd, 2011 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker (Post 781397)

Gandie -

Hear what you're saying, and the thought had crossed my mind, but ... this whole deal has become a major sanity-sucker. It's enraged a bunch of normally happy people, gotten them crazy angry, and sent at least one to virtual Elba. And I'm pretty sure the staff at Shrapnel have a couple others on a 'watch' list or something of the sort as a result of the vitriol that's spilled here in recent (or not so recent) months.

'Spill's a very honest and sincere guy, and I feel the pain. I have my own way of expression (as do we all), but I sympathize with him on most points. Have totally empathized in a number of past posts. But I feel that caution is advised, and that expectations ought to be moderated. I'd hate to see another enthusiast burned by his passion for this game.

Basically, as corny as it might be, all I'm saying is "know when to hold, know when to fold." At this point in the WS Saga, if Malf runs a fix and makes the world all better, Huzzah! and more power to them. WS could be one wicked cool strat game, and I'd love a chance to play "that game." I can tell you now that I would willing lose weeks of my life to "that game".

But I gotta keep grounded in reality - to the product as it currently stands, and what's it's likely to be going forward. And from what I've seen thus far, I'd put my money in Italian bonds ("Zoibie wants to buy on margin!") before I'd wager it on WS getting a meaningful upgrade.

So, as entertaining as all the electronic fire on this one has been, I rather not see it claim any more victims from the board. It's probably time to call it a lost cause and move on to other things before disappointment and lost hope turn to rage once again.

Of course, I could be wrong. I don't have as much time on the board or experience with indies as you might, Gandi - is this sort of thing typical or expected? Is there a "serious" chance that Spill or any of us could get somewhere with this? I mean, if Bob & Jill and Suzie and Phil are going to invest 120 hours of their otherwise hectic lives to build support and documentation for bug decoding and blah-blah-blah-randomassortedcomputerstuff for this effort to improve WS, are we likely to get something meaningful back in return? Or (once again), are we just chucking personal time down outhouse lane?

Personally, I'd be pretty torqued if I spent another couple months working on docs, scripts, & junk only to see 1% of it run through 12 weeks later as "v1.10! - we changed one small piece! Last upgrade it should ever need!" I wouldn't set the place on fire; I'd sit and stew in 'it', but it could be the 'last straw' for others.

Am I wrong?

If so, what is reasonable? What should the expectations be?

spillblood August 3rd, 2011 05:28 AM

Yeah, please, I'm absolutely aware that this game is in fact dead. But maybe we can revive it if we take the right measures and maybe can finally bring Malfador to react and to listen to our concerns. I'm not gonna repeat it, please send in customer support tickets to the support page of the game. Tim Brook's replies to my last support tickets clearly stated:
THEY DON'T ****ING BELIEVE THERE ARE ANY PROBLEMS BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T RECEIVE ENOUGH CUSTOMER SUPPORT TICKETS AFTER PATCH 1.09.
Man, you people don't need to give exceptional detail, just write you aren't satisfied with the AI and other aspects of the game. Don't try to write that HERE, because they sure as hell aren't going to listen to it.
How often do I need to repeat myself until you get that?

spillblood August 3rd, 2011 05:33 AM

So, you know what to do, simply do it. Posting bug reports here won't do anything because Shrapnel AND Malfador aren't paying any attention to the forums unless you press them to do so, which I have done many times in the past.
Don't you get that?

spillblood August 3rd, 2011 05:38 AM

People, I'm working my *** off here to rally more support from Shrapnel, from other forums, from Malfador, please simply honor that! I won't listen to any people criticizing that. You need to become fanatics to get Shrapnel and Malfador to fix this game, but you need to give constructive criticism, not only complain like ScottWAR. This will get you banned for sure!
One thing I wanna add: I think there's a simple cause for Malfador's inactivity:
He's doing the devlopment part-time, and probably he doesn't have enough time at the moment.
But this should simply mean he should get other people involved in this to not lose every support he still has. He deperately needs to act!

spillblood August 3rd, 2011 05:58 AM

I want to quote an outside voice from the Armada 2526 forum (which is published by for example Matrix Games). My last posts there have caused instant reactions:
Quote:

Why try to support a game that the developer doesn't support? Let it go and enjoy better titles with developers that are willing to listen to their user base.
They definitely agree with your opinions, JCrowe and Skirmisher.
Hey, maybe I'm wrong, but we at least HAVE TO TRY!:mad:

Quote:

Subject: World Supremacy, great new turn based strategy game

Go and edit your fisrt post and you have the option to change the title of the thread
I've changed the thread titles in these forums to "World Supremacy - light TBS in desperate need for a community"

Another thing I must add: Aaron hasn't replied to my last E-Mails yet. I've given him details about everything I've done here the last week, and requested a modding guide and further support for the game.

spillblood August 3rd, 2011 06:23 AM

I've extended my rallying call to the forums of an open-source turn based strategy game, Triple A.
You should check this game out if you haven't already. This way I get more support there and more people to check out their game, so a win-win situation, because they've issued a demand for good reviews, more community at the forums there last weekend.
Here's the link:
http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki

Since this game is essentially developed by its community (has at least 3 or 4 main programmers, they could be of use here.
But it's, in contrast to WS, written in Java.
Just check it out, it's free and I think the AI (except the unfinished Dynamix AI) works better than in WS. And that says a lot (it's no commercial game)!

spillblood August 3rd, 2011 07:21 AM

My opinion: Given that enough people can be motivated to take part here again by modding (you need to see: the game is faulty, but heavily moddable), we can probably revive the game, and maybe even get Malfador to support it again. If they are not willing, they should make Shrapnel stop selling the game, release the sourcecode and make the community finish it. But if he finally joins in again, I'm absolutely sure we could do it, and receive a much better product for the money we've spent. He could even release the game under a new name (maybe World Supremacy: Reborn, World Supremacy Advanced or something like that) to get the press to re-review it.
It's simply not true that there's no possibility of reviving this game.
You have to look a bit into the history of strategy games: Many games, for example Clash of Steel and Master of Orion 3 have been released in a very buggy state, failed to get support by a community because of that, and have either been re-released (Clash of Steel) by the developers themselves or finished by the community (Master of Orion 3).
Heck, two of the games Shrapnel sell (WinSPWW2, WinSPMBT) are in fact re-released, heavily modded versions of past commercial games (Steel Panthers Series).
It simply takes effort by either us or Malfador to fix the failure of World Supremacy, and it is by no means impossible, people!

Gandalf Parker August 3rd, 2011 10:02 AM

For anything to happen:
A) there has to be a problem
B) there has to be an agreement by the people who can do something about it that there is a problem
C) a fix has to be requested in a manner which does not piss off the people who can do something about the problem

There are two ways I know of to change a problem from "your opinion" to "fact". Either someone zips up a game save that the developer can easily open and see it. Or a little less effective, large percentage of the users complain about it. Posting a rant over and over can only get you banned. Especially if you "try to save others from making the same mistake". THIS forum is a SUPPORT forum and people who cant be supportive of the efforts need to find another forum more appropriate IMHO.

spillblood August 3rd, 2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker (Post 781444)
For anything to happen:
A) there has to be a problem
B) there has to be an agreement by the people who can do something about it that there is a problem
C) a fix has to be requested in a manner which does not piss off the people who can do something about the problem

There are two ways I know of to change a problem from "your opinion" to "fact". Either someone zips up a game save that the developer can easily open and see it. Or a little less effective, large percentage of the users complain about it. Posting a rant over and over can only get you banned. Especially if you "try to save others from making the same mistake". THIS forum is a SUPPORT forum and people who cant be supportive of the efforts need to find another forum more appropriate IMHO.

OK, referring to that:
Point A: There IS a problem
Point B: There IS an agreement between the community here that there is a problem, but no agreement by Malfador and Shrapnel yet.
Point C: We have already requested a fix over and over, in E-Mails, in support tickets, here in the forum.

To answer the remaining post: We could send in a fix, but we'd need forum members with programming skills since the section of the game in question (the AI) is hardcoded as far as I've determined, plus we'd need an agreement with Aaron Hall/ Malfador on that. For that, I need his reply on my last E-Mails.

But, we can also change the game /mod it in its still defective state, and even in the demo, that's why I try to lure people here.

spillblood August 3rd, 2011 11:08 AM

Just to quote another outside voice I got in another forum today:
Quote:

Sent: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:07 pm
by darkstar076
G'Day Mate

Just went and followed the link and read the forum about WS. All i can say is wow, you really have an uphill battle :(

The develpoers have since moved on to other games and as you say the only thing that will cause the game to tick over is enough tickets throught the official bug report system. Even then there is no garentee that they will fix all the problems you have outlined. They might just fix the ones to keep the game working.
Hehe, I can only say: Join me in this battle, dudes!

spillblood August 3rd, 2011 11:39 AM

Ah, to add that point, yes, I've sent in savegames, logs and bug reports to Malfador, to Shrapnel (via the support system) and I've posted the stuff here.
They definitely know about all the problems.
And if not, I can do this again, all the points Aaron requested, over and over.
But it would help if more people would do the same, so,
WE NEED MORE PEOPLE TO JOIN IN HERE!

spillblood August 3rd, 2011 11:42 AM

See, Aaron has explicitely stated he needs more people to send in bug reports if we want fixes to the AI, he stated he can't do with a single beta tester.
Do you get that?
I will not repeat this anymore.

Skyburn August 3rd, 2011 09:17 PM

Well, I had a look at the data files. Not much in the game seems to be moddable, but there are some things that might help.

If the AI can't use nuclear weapons well, remove them from the game.

Increasing unit HP should reduce the human first-strike advantage in combat.

Does the AI build facilities well? If not, remove those, too.

Mod units so they can be built anywhere and the AI might have a better defense setup. In units.txt changing the value on the line "Purchase In Region With Unit Family ID" to 0 for each unit should do it.

Finally, if the AI doesn't seem to replace units well, try increasing the number of starting units. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any separation between starting units for humans and non-neutral AIs, but at least it would give the AI more starting firepower. Maybe they'll be more aggressive if they get more hardware.

A suggestion you might make to Aaron is adding SE style production bonuses for the AI. It would simply be a multiplier selected on game setup. So the AI would get 2,3,5x (or whatever) the resources of human players. I suspect that would be a relatively easy change to make.

Last but not least, though I am sympathetic to your efforts to get this game fixed, I won't be doing any modding or sending support tickets myself. Good luck!

spillblood August 4th, 2011 08:24 AM

Thanks, extremely useful contribution, Skyburn. Stuff like this is exactly what we need. But we really need some more people with modding experience willing to make actual mods here. But circumventing some AI restriction by modding the game is an idea that was brought up here in this forum before. You see, I try rallying support and sending in tickets (last one yesterday, replied to two tickets today), but modding is time consuming. We need more people to be able to do that.
That's why I try gaining some support in other forums.
I want to post one reply to a ticket where I requested a modding guide today which I wanna share here because it might help you to understand Shrapnel's standpoint, which they used in other games:
Modding guides must be done by the community:

Quote:

If we receive enough requests we will look into it. So far, you are the first to ask for one. Most of our modding games have the modding manuals put togetehr by the community. YOu might consider starting one.
I have no experience at all, and we need to analyze the game's structure thoroughly to be able to start one. Any help would be appreciated. We could submit it to Shrapnel when we have one.

spillblood August 4th, 2011 08:37 AM

[quote=Skyburn;781465]
Quote:

Well, I had a look at the data files. Not much in the game seems to be moddable, but there are some things that might help.
Not fully true. I saw by analyzing the game files, that you can point the game via links to specific graphics files for each unit, terrain tile etc. Since those are in simple .bmp format (they are located in ...\World Supremacy Demo\Images or ...\World Supremacy\Images, depends on whether you are using the demo or the full version), they can be easily changed and pointed at in the text files (look at ...GameTypes\Standard\data\Units.txt). All the appearance can be changed. Each mod should have an own folder located in ...\World Supremacy Demo\GameTypes\... (Standard game has the folder "Standard"). So when you create a new mod, just copy the Standard folder, rename it and change the text files. And you can point at different folders for different mods there (located in the main menu). ScottWAR (RIP) has used this in his Basic Balance mod. We might be able to reconstruct things from that, because it's still online.

Quote:

If the AI can't use nuclear weapons well, remove them from the game.
That could possibly be done, in the Units.txt-file

Quote:

Increasing unit HP should reduce the human first-strike advantage in combat.
I think this isn't necessary in V 1.09. Just play the game again and you know why. The AI in fact isn't totally disadvantaged in combat.

Quote:

Does the AI build facilities well? If not, remove those, too.
It DOES build facilities. Removing them (especially factories, cities) would cripple some AI abilities. I'm not sure about Radar stations though.

Quote:

Mod units so they can be built anywhere and the AI might have a better defense setup. In units.txt changing the value on the line "Purchase In Region With Unit Family ID" to 0 for each unit should do it.
I'm not sure if this is necessary, because the AI is able to build factories and produce units in territories bordering on player territories.

Quote:

Finally, if the AI doesn't seem to replace units well, try increasing the number of starting units. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any separation between starting units for humans and non-neutral AIs, but at least it would give the AI more starting firepower. Maybe they'll be more aggressive if they get more hardware.
That maybe true, just do that in the actual "Start game" menu.

Quote:

A suggestion you might make to Aaron is adding SE style production bonuses for the AI. It would simply be a multiplier selected on game setup. So the AI would get 2,3,5x (or whatever) the resources of human players. I suspect that would be a relatively easy change to make.
That's a very good idea, I'll suggest this to Aaron. This should be an option in the start menu of the game.

Quote:

Last but not least, though I am sympathetic to your efforts to get this game fixed, I won't be doing any modding or sending support tickets myself. Good luck!
OK, I'm sorry, but it doesn't matter. Thanks for your help. Any help by Space Empires modders is appreciated!

spillblood August 4th, 2011 08:42 AM

One thing I must add here: Please, all people who bought the game, especially JCrowe, just try playing the game again. This way we can gain more info about the weaknesses. I've already made a start and played two games yesterday, sent in savegames to Shrapnel, but according to this reply:
Quote:

What do you want us to do? The only new customer service tickets on World Supremacy are from you.
I seem to be the only one. Please, don't let me down people.

Try fiddling with the starting settings. I've noticed enabling only two or three AIs on a detailed Medium map and giving them large starting territories actually makes them more powerful. They were able to almost wipe me out in these two games.
It seems trying out different starting settings is pretty important.
You simply need to play more games so that we can learn all AI weaknesses that still remain and either contact Shrapnel or mod the game so that they are circumvented.

Please,
Help me with this!

spillblood August 4th, 2011 11:40 AM

I forgot to mention one important fact for people who don't own the full game and want to mod the demo: The mod selection in the startup screen is disabled in the demo. So you need to modify the files in the ...\World Supremacy Demo\GameTypes\Standard\...- folder. You can then simply rename the Standard-folder to the name you want for the mod. You can try your mod by simply playing the standard game-mode (by the way, the full version ONLY HAS this standard game mode by default (when I first started up this game I myself wondered why this selection is empty besides the standard mode, but this is simply reserved for mods). So, please don't expect extremely much more variation when buying the full version.
But owners of the full version can simply select the available mods at startup when the folders are named differently than the gametypes\standard-folder. I really wonder why no one has tried doing something more than changing a few numbers with the game yet.
Must really be because they were to pissed off because of the bad quality of the game at release.
But we can simply try to enhance it ourselves, people!

spillblood August 8th, 2011 09:30 AM

Added info about World Supremacy (to get people to check out the demo) in one more forum. I'll stay inactive until I finally get a reply from Aaron or some activity here in the forum. Until then, guys! Hope more people join.

spillblood August 9th, 2011 07:22 AM

Sorry, but I've finally received a reply from Aaron. Seems he appreciates my efforts. Hope he finally returns here. Here's the quote:

Quote:

Yes, we've received your previous emails. Sounds good!

Aaron
Please, every further participation here would be welcome!

spillblood August 11th, 2011 06:09 AM

Hey, anyone still here? Seems the last remaining users are gone now (except me, like it always was in former periods of silence here. If anyone is reading this, please reply!
Hehe, kind of a postapocalyptic forum, this one.

Skirmisher August 13th, 2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spillblood (Post 781832)
Hey, anyone still here? Seems the last remaining users are gone now (except me, like it always was in former periods of silence here. If anyone is reading this, please reply!

I'm still watching at what's going on here.

I don't see the level of interest that you have from the developer though.

spillblood August 14th, 2011 11:59 AM

Sadly that's my impression, too. But he at least gave a sign that he appreciates what I'm doing here. But I had no success at all at gaining support from people from other forums.
I'm sure there would be much more going on here if he'd finally give some sign himself here that he's still interested in improving this game. Hey, but thanks for participating, Skirmisher.
My impression is: He didn't have much desire to finish this game from the beginning, don't know why, but it's certainly the case.
But why release a game comercially when you don't plan to finish it? This mode of action just means predetermined commercial disaster.
I think I'll do nothing anymore to support it unless I get some signal by him or something else happens.
By the way, Shrapnel have told me that they're annoyed by my support tickets.
So I'm not gonna send in anymore.
I think all these actions were wasted. Nothing positive happened because of them. It really was just a waste of time.

Skirmisher August 14th, 2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spillblood (Post 781956)
By the way, Shrapnel have told me that they're annoyed by my support tickets.

Hmm, didn't they say something like they wouldn't do any more updates without them? And now your annoying them?

Something about this whole thing stinks. MM would have been better off just keeping the whole idea locked away in his head and never burdening the world with it.:down:

Gandalf Parker August 14th, 2011 03:08 PM

Skirmisher give him a chance and quit shooting him down. (and by him I mean SpillBlood)

Skirmisher August 14th, 2011 03:29 PM

Don't you read so well?

They (not me) are becoming annoyed by his support tickets.

Gandalf Parker August 14th, 2011 04:42 PM

But he is asking nicely, and you are insulting them.
I dont think the overall score is conducive to getting what he wants.

spillblood August 15th, 2011 06:11 AM

They didn't put it in any insulting way, they just stated I've got 4 support requests open, that they don't have great capacities (they are a little company) and that I should stop openening new tickets. Since I'm the only one still posting tickets, I think they simply ignore them and they start to annoy them. I've still got 4 open, 3 unanswered, and I've posted more savegames, bug reports etc. But since that doesn't achieve any result, because Malfador don't move, I think I'll not file in more.
But it would be greatly appreciated if you'd file some in, Skirmisher. See: They don't believe there's a problem (I mean Shrapnel), because I'm the only one filing in support tickets.
That's the problem here, and I've explained it before.
Just stop complaining and file in tickets, that's the only way we can make Shrapnel move, I think.
And if Shrapnel move, they'll contact Aaron to do something, I think.
E-Mails to Malfador don't achieve anything, because he mostly doesn't reply, but he's stated that he appreciates my efforts here, would be cool if people would just file in support tickets, best would be ones with savegames, logs etc, and some descriptions of the problems.
That's the only way, just believe me!

spillblood August 15th, 2011 10:41 AM

You gotta realize, they either won't react to unconstructive complaining, or they will shut this thread down like all the ones before, so please just try to cooperate, IE send in support tickets or try modding the game (although it's unfinished).

spillblood August 29th, 2011 11:51 AM

Another two weeks of complete silence, silence by Malfador and by Shrapnel. Seriously guys, I think they don't have much interest in improving this game, but players don't show much interest either, it seems. I think Aaron won't do anything unless we signal to him that we want improvements. And by that I don't mean only myself. We need more people to participate here!

Skirmisher August 29th, 2011 12:48 PM

What you need is electro shock therapy for MM.

That is the only person that can fix it.

spillblood August 29th, 2011 02:56 PM

Don't want to insult him, but I absolutely agree. Man, he signaled approval to my course of action here. I wonder why he doesn't finally do something himself.
I'm pretty sure he spends zero time thinking about the future of the game right now. Don't think Malfador is his main occupation, but if I were in his shoes, I'd be interested in improving my creations, and I think every other game creator would think like this. It's a mystery why he neglects this game so much.

Mike_T August 30th, 2011 07:17 AM

Spillblood, and anyone else reading this:

I filed a support ticket some weeks ago, and Shrapnel refused to answer my questions, so I persisted, but they eventually closed the ticket down. I have copied below the last exchanges between me and Shrapnel - you will see that they have assured me that all reported bugs have been addressed and that WS is one of their best selling games! Thought you might like to see this...

Added 7.30.11 3:42 PM
Viewed by user 8.14.11 8:47 AM
My problem is not related to specific bugs - I am trying to get Shrapnel to understand that it is damaging its own reputation by the
manner that it has treated customer complaints about WS.
My complaint to you was not meant to "trash" anyone - it is a reasoned complaint about your company's unsympathetic response
when a game launch has misfired. I haven't lost any money - I could just turn my back on this. I haven't because I wanted you to
understand how poorly you are viewed by many that bought this game in good faith. You won't accept that the game wasn't
properly tested before you released it, you just ask people to report bugs to the developer. A few minor bugs, maybe, but the AI
was so flawed that you should have required that the developer go back to the drawing board. There is no shame in saying sorry,
this game isn't quite right, wer'e going to suspend it whilst the developer knocks it into better shape.
I am not trashing your company - I am trying to show you how you yourselves have damaged your own reputation and credibility.
Can you not understand that?
It may be for internal political reasons that you have to stubbornly defend what your company has done.
If this is the case, then I can understand why you cannot provide meaningful customer support. It may be that I am talking to the
wrong department - please let me know.

Reply from Shrapnel:
Again. This is all opinion. But you are one of the few that have complained about the game. And people do complain when they feel
something is not right. World Supremacy is in the top 5 games in sales each month. In June it was third. We have received to date, very
few bug reports - less than 20, all of which have been addressed. So please understand YOUR complaint is not confirmed by the
masses.
Customer Support
The Gamers Front
www.GamersFront.com
Shrapnel Games, Inc.
www.ShrapnelGames.com

Added 8.14.11 9:05 AM
Viewed by administrator Not viewed
--but the feedback on the WS forum is totally negative!! Normally, when a game is well received, the forum is full of positive and
enthusiastic discussion. Where is your positive feedback?
Your modding "expert", who, according to your WS web page really "rocks" (whatever that means) has been provoked by you into such
frustration and rage that you have banned him from the forum. This is further evidence of how alienated the would-be enthusiasts have
become. Are you still telling the world that this guy is still modding and that it really "rocks"?
Iam sorry if WS is in your top 5 sales - it doesn't say much for the rest of the games and is no indicator of quality. We are both aware of
the desperately negative feedback.How much positive feedback have you really had?
Why did you release a game that was so flawed the AI was almost non-existent? Did you test the game or did you take the developer
on trust? The developer seems to take the attitude that it's down to disappointed customers to tell him what needs doing to the game -
for heaven's sake, whose game is it?
Can you please deal with my points with your customer SUPPORT hats on - not your PR hats - thanks.
Status Closed

spillblood August 30th, 2011 03:07 PM

Great post, man. This clearly shows Shrapnel's responses to customer support tickets. I've received similar answers to my last support tickets. I know this will cause the thread to be closed down, but I wanna share one here:

Quote:

Status Answered
Added by Annette Brooks
Added 8.8.11 4:36 PM
Viewed by user 8.9.11 6:07 AM
Mr. spillblood (name changed),

I would be most appreciative if you would refrain from opening more tickets. There are still six of the ten remaining open and awaiting our attention. Please understand that we are an extremely small company. If you must add to what you have already written, please choose one ticket and add to that, but please do not feel you must repeat anything you have already written. It is going to take us hours to read the thousands of words you've sent in your tickets as we need to determine what are truly bugs and what are simply features of the game you don't like.

If there are recurring bugs remaining after the patches that are keeping our customer base from being able to play the game, we will certainly consult with Malfador Machinations, but it is highly unlikely that the game will be re-designed to suit individual tastes. Again, I have yet to sort through what are bugs and what are feature requests, and I'm speaking from my opinion prior to having read everything you have asked us to read. I appreciate your desire to love the game, but, please, sir, stop the bombardment. Spamming the game's designer, our forums and our customer support system is not only counter-productive but against the rules you agreed to abide by when you registered at our forums.

Thank you,
Annette Brooks

I've talked about this one here before. Seems to me that they are simply annoyed by my support tickets and are not really paying attention to them anymore. Thank you for filing one in, MikeT. Would be great if more people would follow your example, so that Shrapnel finally recognize something must be done.
Man, I don't think I'm spamming the forums in ill will against Shrapnel. I'm trying to finally get them to give the game the support it needs.

One thing I have to add: If this game would be appreciated/ have a community, there would be strategy discussions, mods and general praise for the game here. I don't see that in this forum! There is almost no discussion here except some customers criticizing the bad quality of the game. Don't Shrapnel understand that?

spillblood September 2nd, 2011 03:10 PM

LOL, seems they don't care about this either. Doesn't matter.

spillblood September 6th, 2011 04:57 PM

Hey guys, I've contacted Rob Zacny of Three Moves Ahead to feature World Supremacy, Castle Vox or TripleA on their podcast, and he's agreed to check them out. If he contacts Shrapnel and asks for permission (press contact form) and they feature this game, maybe it will get more potential modders, and additional attention so that Malf finally start working on it again.

Skirmisher September 6th, 2011 05:42 PM

Well it's a top 5 seller for them,so the buisness model is working,just not the game.

I wonder who all these people are that are buying it?

spillblood September 6th, 2011 08:13 PM

I keep wondering why, if this game really sells so well, the particpation here in this forum is so low. My guess: The people who buy the game either haven't tried it out properly yet or they aren't satisfied. I don't see any praises here. The only time when we had praises for the game was when it was freshly released in late 2010, but the subsequent events pretty much destroyed the community here.
Hehe, this would warrant a story on Three Moves Ahead, and they shouldn't keep quiet about the problems. Man, just think about it: Malfador are strategy gaming veterans, active since 1993 (read the about part here: http://www.malfador.com/)! Space Empires is no unknown series, and their reputation was a cause for me to buy the game ('cause I read how good Space Empires, especially SE IV was). But it seems Aaron Hall has somehow lost interest in making games, can't explain his lack of support of this game otherwise.