.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Getting EA Oceana out of the water... (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=32544)

Saxon December 27th, 2006 04:13 AM

Getting EA Oceana out of the water...

Here is the question. EA Oceana is built to swim and has some great units in the water. However, when it comes time to go on-shore, what do you suggest? My mages either lose power or can not go on land, the same with my troops. Sacred units are water only, so that route does not help. Certain summons seem useful, but many of the most powerful are water only. The usual question is how to get into the water and there are many solutions for that. Today’s question is how to get out!

I am part way through a game right now and have some ideas, but I also have a versatile pretender. I am curious at how others see using this nation.

Gandalf Parker December 27th, 2006 12:40 PM

Re: Getting EA Oceana out of the water...

Its the same problem as land nations trying enter the water. Find a weak province, take it, hold it, and build up land units there to spread out.

Zebion December 27th, 2006 02:05 PM

But its much easier getting land units into water then the other way around,seeing as land can take entire armies while ocean can only get single commanders out

Reverend Zombie December 27th, 2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Zebion said:
But its much easier getting land units into water then the other way around,seeing as land can take entire armies while ocean can only get single commanders out

EA Oceania has a set of units & leaders that change shape and sprout legs to get them on land.

Zebion December 27th, 2006 02:27 PM

Quote:

My mages either lose power or can not go on land, the same with my troops

He already knows about them

NTJedi December 27th, 2006 02:34 PM

Quote:

Saxon said:
Here is the question. EA Oceana is built to swim and has some great units in the water. However, when it comes time to go on-shore, what do you suggest?

Now that you mention this topic... I notice there are multiple items and commanders which allow land troops to enter water provinces yet the opposite does not exist. There's no commanders or items which allow water troops to enter the land provinces.
Sounds like a good patch opportunity to introduce new features.

Reverend Zombie December 27th, 2006 02:44 PM

Quote:

Zebion said:
Quote:

My mages either lose power or can not go on land, the same with my troops

He already knows about them

Fair enough.

I wanted to clarify that the following was not true for Oceania:

Quote:

Zebion said:
But its much easier getting land units into water then the other way around, seeing as land can take entire armies while ocean can only get single commanders out

Ironhawk December 27th, 2006 04:57 PM

Quote:

NTJedi said:

I disagree - Water nations have a serious advantage with the water barrier. Basically they are immune from early game rush attacks from all land nations. It should be hard for them to get out of the water.

As for how to get out - the above posts cover it pretty well. My suggestion is to scout the coastal lands well and find a place with good indy troops and good resources. Then take it and immediately build a fort so you can bang out a land army. Additionally, I've been told that Sea Trolls make for a good amphibious force? Then when you are on land you can summon winter wolves with your water mages, perhaps?

Meglobob December 27th, 2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Ironhawk said:
Quote:

NTJedi said:

I disagree - Water nations have a serious advantage with the water barrier. Basically they are immune from early game rush attacks from all land nations. It should be hard for them to get out of the water.

As for how to get out - the above posts cover it pretty well. My suggestion is to scout the coastal lands well and find a place with good indy troops and good resources. Then take it and immediately build a fort so you can bang out a land army. Additionally, I've been told that Sea Trolls make for a good amphibious force? Then when you are on land you can summon winter wolves with your water mages, perhaps?

Sea trolls are excellent, no fire weakness like normal trolls, higher HPs, just as good on land as well as sea, 1 sea troll for 1W gem is excellent value. Also sea trolls court is good, did you know the sea troll king produces 1W gem per month? So eventually he repays the 55W gem cost, also what else are you going to use those water gems for?

Foodstamp December 27th, 2006 05:38 PM

<Insert my gripe about Oceania here.>

In all seriousness, there have been several threads talking about how Oceania underperforms. It is the worst of the three water nations and has the hardest time of the three coming to shore.

Let me look into my crystal ball and give you some insite into how these threads play out...

Someone tries Oceania and realizes that it is not that great of a nation.

Someone who does not play Oceania snaps at the person saying they do not know how to play the game or use the nation to it's full potential.

Several more people chime in talking about the air breathing amulet, the weaksauce troops that CAN come to shore and independent archers being viable alternatives.

-----------------------------------------------------

People who play the nation know that:

Most of Oceania's troops become weak on land, and the ones that do not are weak to begin with.

There is a bug where if a unit that has stealth in the water moves to an enemy land province, or to a province that is taken by an enemy while the land version of the stealth unit is still in the province, it essential dooms the unit to suiciding on the guards or praying the province gets taken back. (Meaning the unit cannot take further actions including "Move" like other stealthed units can)

Sirens have an abyssmal chance to lure a commander.

In the water, Atlantis and Rlyeh say "Here you go, we brought you a gift, your *** on a platter."

------------------------------------------------------