.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Scenario: Night Action At Chipyong-ni 2/14/1951 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44547)

RazGator December 22nd, 2009 05:30 PM

Scenario: Night Action At Chipyong-ni 2/14/1951

1 Attachment(s)
The U.S. Army's 23rd RCT's G Co. attempts to hold the southern portion of the Chip'yong-ni perimeter against a Chinese Communist night assault. Slotted for 520.

wulfir December 27th, 2009 09:41 AM

Re: Scenario: Night Action At Chipyong-ni 2/14/1951

Righto - played it through, and this one is a nail-biter! :up:

I was a bit overconfident and expected to defeat the Chinamen without too much ado...

Bang! Bang! :hurt:

- Spoiler warning -

The Chinamen come on and don't let up till they are wiped out.
I managed to defend along the wire near the road, but those flags were contested until the very last turn.

The southern Chinese attack blasted through my defences.
I gathered forces what forces I had to build strength, one on one the Chinese squads walk all over the US or French...:hurt:

Managed to delay them some, but not stopping them, all the while my poor infanterymen in the south just melted away...

When the reinforcements arrived I used them to counterattack the souht. The infantry platoon with the single tank supporting did well recapturing one VH..., the Rangers lasted about three turns before being wiped out... :hurt:

After that the China AI managed to get in among the artillery...:hurt:

Managed to cling on in other areas until game ended, but whoa - those Chinamen are some though hombres...! :)

US Army/France
losses: 320
Score: 2243

China
losses: 612
score: 1066

I noticed some US AT-inf units had been renamed and rearmed to MMG sections but retained the AT-inf icon. It is possible to change one unit for another using one of the buttons in the editor - if you would have wanted them to have a MMG icon too. (Note: this will not change any leader ratings, can be important to remember if you changs say an artillery unit to an infantry one).

iCaMpWiThAWP December 27th, 2009 05:32 PM

Some of the french units holding the top part of the map are 0 speed, the single unit that moves is give 60 speed, reaches about 40mph, arty units are bunkered?

wulfir December 27th, 2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP (Post 723750)
Some of the french units holding the top part of the map are 0 speed, the single unit that moves is give 60 speed, reaches about 40mph, arty units are bunkered?

Those French elements to the north are probably there for reasons of "atmosphere", but are not meant to be used by the player (if I could have moved them I would have). ;)

(60 speed is likely a typo, when changing speed from 6 to 0).

Field Arty are bunkers yes, I guess there are reasons for that... (being dug in, unmanned etc)...

RazGator December 29th, 2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulfir (Post 723717)
I noticed some US AT-inf units had been renamed and rearmed to MMG sections but retained the AT-inf icon. It is possible to change one unit for another using one of the buttons in the editor - if you would have wanted them to have a MMG icon too. (Note: this will not change any leader ratings, can be important to remember if you changs say an artillery unit to an infantry one).

In one of my sources, it is stated that the US AT units with recoiless rifles were rearmed with MGs during the night because of their better area fire capability.(http://www.kmike.com/CombatActions/Chipyong-ni.htm)

RazGator December 29th, 2009 12:34 PM

The player represents the commander of the US 2nd Infantry Battalion. You have no strategic authority over the French troops. The French squad of world class sprinters is indeed a typo, they are supposed to be immobilized. As for the bunkered artillery; B battery of the 5035d was dug in and sited to the north,west and were unusable for an attack from the south. I couldn't find any other way to prevent their use than to bunker them.

RazGator December 29th, 2009 12:36 PM

3 words-mortars, mortars, mortars.

RazGator December 29th, 2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

The Chinamen come on and don't let up till they are wiped out.
I managed to defend along the wire near the road, but those flags were contested until the very last turn.

The southern Chinese attack blasted through my defences.
I gathered forces what forces I had to build strength, one on one the Chinese squads walk all over the US or French...:hurt:

Managed to delay them some, but not stopping them, all the while my poor infanterymen in the south just melted away...

When the reinforcements arrived I used them to counterattack the souht. The infantry platoon with the single tank supporting did well recapturing one VH..., the Rangers lasted about three turns before being wiped out... :hurt:

After that the China AI managed to get in among the artillery...:hurt:

Managed to cling on in other areas until game ended, but whoa - those Chinamen are some though hombres...! :)

US Army/France
losses: 320
Score: 2243

China
losses: 612
score: 1066

Sounds historically accurate. That's pretty much what happened to G Company.
http://www.kmike.com/CombatActions/Chipyong-ni.htm

wulfir December 29th, 2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazGator (Post 723959)
Quote:

In one of my sources, it is stated that the US AT units with recoiless rifles were rearmed with MGs during the night because of their better area fire capability.(http://www.kmike.com/CombatActions/Chipyong-ni.htm)

Ok, sounds like a good solution then - and indeed a welcome one given the agressive Chinamen infantry - although to the game there is a difference between a MMG unit and a AT-inf unit armed with a MMG.

wulfir December 29th, 2009 04:17 PM

[quote=RazGator;723968]
Quote:

Sounds historically accurate. That's pretty much what happened to G Company.

;)

...well, I also played in a sloppy manner to begin with, being certain I could beat the AI China. Overconfidence, big time...