.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Ye New Galactic Bar & Grill & Phong's Head Cantina - After Hours (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=6576)

tesco samoa July 11th, 2002 04:23 AM

Re: Ye New Galactic Bar & Grill & Phong\'s Head Cantina - After Hours

tesco does not like getting eyed by other poster. So tesco does the proper thing by placing viking helmet on his head and goes out on the patio, sits, opens bottle of creemore springs http://www.ftcpec.com/ and makes fun of other bar.

PaladinOfEarth July 11th, 2002 04:26 AM

:: Walks up to Gryphin, Wonders what he is high on. Hands him my card ::
"Have Gun, Will Travel"
I am looking for a man by the name of "mac".
Please let him know I was here and that I will return.
Thank you most kindly,
Enjoy your night.
Bartender,
Put this mans next drink on my tab, Send the bill to Carlton Holtel, San Francico, Earth.

Gryphin July 11th, 2002 04:29 AM

< Looks up startled by the stranger, Impressed by the well spoken polite manners. Noting again the way he carried himself. >
My pleasure Mr, Paladin. Please come back soon. Thanks for the drink.

mac5732 July 11th, 2002 04:54 AM

Tesco, a most worthy photo of a shrek look a like, however, I think a little too much hair on top http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif got your email, looking it over

As Mac closes his laptop, he looks around and sees the stranger walk over to the Gryphin and then return to his seat, Mac being the curious one in the cantina, decides to walk over and say howdy, maybe even buy the new member a brewski or two. As Mac walks up to the stranger, he notices that he is playing and talking to a small wooden chess set with white knights as logos. Excuse me good sir, I notice that you are new around here, may I buy you a drink, The stranger looks up, calls a FBW over, orders a brandy, pays for it himself and stars at Mac. Mac, unplused, trying to make conversation tries to break the ice, The stranger, his voice low and deep, almost like a growl, his eyes looking straight down into Macs soul, answers.. I'm looking for someone called Mac... At this Mac looks around for a quick escape and thinks to himself, oh oh, I think I'm in some deep s... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/shock.gif

a mac looking for a mac look-a-like very quickly

[ July 11, 2002, 04:20: Message edited by: mac5732 ]

Growltigga July 11th, 2002 10:13 AM

Tesco, are you daft or what? (I know this is a relative question for a north american) - I only revert to my Shrek alter ego if it means I can get a quick knee trembler with Cameron Diaz..

The oly similarity between the person in your photo and me is that he is wearing green. Other than that, he has far too much hair and looks like a bit of a nancy boy to me...

Do you wish to explain why you are surfing the world-wide-web looking for pictures of fey looking pillow biters?

Mac, dogs are welcome in the Plough & Harrow but that is because Chris the Landlord is an entrepeneur and also runs a Korean restaurant in Canterbury that promises food so fresh you wouldn't know you were not in Pusan

Back to character, Growltigga finishes putting up sign in cantina saying "Dogs welcome (only on Korean cuisine night), rednecks are not welcome at all)

GT looks at the latest flash figures for Tigg-A PLC and notes that EBIT is up 250% from Last month on a like-for-like basis due to the strong demand for its products from the new redneck bar...."hmmmm if they only knew what we put into that Ol' Milwaukee to give it that jaundiced yellow look, and as for the grits we are supplying, when will they realise that that is Taz's dandruff"

Growltigga eyes Paladin nervously, wandering what is going to happen to Mac

Rollo July 11th, 2002 10:53 AM

* Rollo staggers by the cantina. Notices tesco sitting outside with helmet on his head.

Cool, a convert http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif .

* Rollo orders a keg of Königpilsener to be brought to the patio. Joins tesco and starts singing Hans Albers songs.

Growltigga July 11th, 2002 11:00 AM

Growltigga thinks to himself "buggeration, if you can't beat them, join them", he then puts on his Kaiser Wilhelm spiky helmet, grabs a plate of sauerkraut and knockwurst and a stein of DAB lager, and joins Rollo and Tesco on the patio, soon can be heard all three partaking in a wonderful party medley of old Scorpions songs and Wagner's Ring Cycle

Rollo July 11th, 2002 11:14 AM

Hey, GT, glad you join us http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif .
That's a strange helmet you have there, isn't there one horn missing?

[ July 11, 2002, 10:23: Message edited by: Rollo ]

Rollo July 11th, 2002 11:18 AM

BTW, as soon as the tiger starts singing Scorpions songs, Rollo slaps him with the flat side of his axe. (one nice thing that weapons don't get checked when sitting outside http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif ).

Rollo sings: "Ein Wind weht von Süd und zieht mich hinaus auf See..."

Growltigga July 11th, 2002 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rollo:
BTW, as soon as the tiger starts singing Scorpions songs, Rollo slaps him with the flat side of his axe. (one nice thing that weapons don't get checked when sitting outside http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif ).
Rollo sings: "Ein Wind weht von Süd und zieht mich hinaus auf See..."

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tigga (dazed) points out to Rollo that the wind coming up from the south of the lake is probably something to do with Mac's digestive system given his predelection for fried breakfasts and calzones

As Scorpions songs are out of order, Tigga launches into rousing choruses of Germany's finest contributions to modern music, primarily being "neunzig neun rote ballons", "mein hamster kratzt in meiner hose", "mein hovercraft ist voll von aalen" and "ich liebe große brüste". He then proceeds to serenade everyone on the patio with every German eurovision song contest entry for the Last 20 years

Rollo July 11th, 2002 12:54 PM

re wind: Eww, you might be right. And I thought that smell came over from the redneck place...

re eurovision songs: Rollo sings along with great enthusiasm to "Wadde hadde dudeda" and "Gildo hat euch lieb", but as GT starts "Ein bißchen Frieden" Rollo chokes and sprays beer through his nose all over the patio.

Growltigga July 11th, 2002 12:58 PM

Well, I would not dream of commenting on your taste in music...

I do think that the lass you had singing in Last year's contest had a really cracking voice (and a
really große brüste)

Growltigga waits till Rollo is spitting beer out of his nose and then launches in a quick medley of Michael Schenker's finest

DirectorTsaarx July 11th, 2002 08:37 PM

Director Tsaarx steps out of his time machine, having returned from the aftermath of GT's Last "eurovision party" and charges him with one count of indecent exposure and two counts of cruel and unusual punishment (one for forcing friends to watch eurovision and one for the indecent exposure...).

He then steps to the bar and asks the Taz for a good Australian beer (Crown Royal would do nicely; none of that Foster's pi$$ that they send to America because the silly Yanks wouldn't know good beer if it rained from the sky).

Tsaarx then thinks to himself "Good thing my GF is more attractive than the FBW's; between the Tigga's policies and the girlfriend's temper, this Director would be demoted VERY quickly..."

Rollo July 12th, 2002 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Growltigga:
I do think that the lass you had singing in Last year's contest had a really cracking voice (and a
really große brüste)

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have to take your word on that. I haven't follwed that contest really all that much... not my cup of tea (or as we say over here:"Nicht mein Bier.")

Growltigga July 12th, 2002 01:31 AM

We actually make an evening of it, get lots of friends round, lots of beer, wine, spirits and food - take the fun out of all the entries and really have a druniken riot..

we each get given a couple of countries and you have to do forfeits depending on how your coiuntries do

this year, I had both Russia and Greece and for those of you who saw the competition, you will understand why I had to run round my estate naked

Taz-in-Space July 12th, 2002 08:02 AM

{Taz gives Director Tsaarx his beer and suggests he try a tasmanian beer, Cascade Premium Lager. Taz then orders a case for himself} http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Hmmm, there is now a competitor in town. Well, if nothing else, it will give GT something to beat up on. Don't know if this town is big enough for TWO taverns. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/image...s/rolleyes.gif

Taz goes back to getting that Help wanted form completed... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/tongue.gif

Growltigga July 12th, 2002 03:07 PM

Growltigga is known as a paragon of style, elegance, panache, modesty, good looks, charm, savoire faire, calmness, self control, grace, beauty, good looks, marital prowess and elan....

Taz is made to repeat this 100 times on pain of having all his hair shaved off

GT is not bothered about the other tavern, he is more bothered about what paladonofearth is going to do to Mac

Growltigga July 12th, 2002 03:25 PM

and charges him with one count of indecent exposure and two counts of cruel and unusual punishment (one for forcing friends to watch eurovision and one for the indecent exposure...).

I plead guilty as charged m'lud on both counts. I should point out in mitigation of the offences that (a) my friends are all completely 'game-on' to watch eurovision, it really is exceptionally amusing and, I must admit, gets even quite racy (anyone remember the leather-clad petite chuck about from Croatia in this years competition or the extremely attractive Serbian lass from Last year), (b) it is actually 2 counts of indecent exposure as I then had to run round the estate twice (it actually doesn't take very much for me to get my clothes off), (c) it is a good excuse for a good feed and an excellent quaffing session and (d) I should like about 30 other offences to be taken into account

Crown Royal would do nicely

Ah, a closet sophisticate at Last. I do like fosters though if served absolutely ice cold on a hot day

Good thing my GF is more attractive than the FBW's; between the Tigga's policies and the girlfriend's temper, this Director would be demoted VERY quickly

So, your girlfriend is a bit of high score on the tottyscope but with the temper of a hippo with toothache to match then? and what are my policies that are liable to get you demoted then?

Trajan July 12th, 2002 03:31 PM

Trajan walks, wearily, into the Cantina. Waving to the assembled patrons, he finds a comfortable booth seat, orders a cold Bass Ale from the nice FBW, and begins to work on his company's new "sales/marketing oriented" website.

However...before he delves into the business of the day, he brings forth a gem of news from the world of F**ked Company.com. Evidently, CNET.com has blocked access to the website from within its own network. Here is the 1st paragraph and link to the whole story.

"Although we debated whether taking this action would draw more attention to some
truly disgusting postings, we are blocking all access to f****dcompany.com from
CNET Networks systems."

http://www.****edcompany.com/extras/cnet5_email.cfm

I often peruse the F'd Company website, looking for rumors that are floated about company's in my neck of the woods. The many many comments that are posted on this site are often extremely vulgar, but hey, this isnt PrettyRoses.Com. It is F**KedCompany.com. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Ah well...

Cheers!
Trajan

Growltigga July 12th, 2002 04:47 PM

My symantec guardian of my frail nerves wont let me look at that website I am afraid

Trajan, where on earth do you get Bass ale from? it is a dying breed over here in Blighty - I just dont think you see it as often as you should

Trajan July 12th, 2002 05:17 PM

Tigga --

Bass Ale is readily available in the States. I can easily acquire a case or even a Keg of it at my local (Wash. DC) booze retailers.

I used to be able to get Double Diamond, Burton Ale. I greatly prefer this refreshment over most any others, though I am not able to find it in my area anymore. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

Cheers!
Trajan

Growltigga July 12th, 2002 05:30 PM

Trajan
Cripes, I am somewhat surprised that you can readily get Bass Ale over in the States and double diamond!, blinkin' flip - I havn't seen that around in absolute ages.

I think it is fair to say that Bass ale is not as universally available over here as it definately used to be. I think most discerning ale lovers would probably blanche at the thought of drinking bass these days.

It may be that Bass is treated liked DirectorTsaarx mentioned Fosters was ie something shipped over to johnny foreigner who couldn't tell good beer if it rained on him

At least it is not US beer. We have a saying about America. We say you can buy anything you like in America, except the beer and the food because both of those you just hire for a while

[ July 12, 2002, 16:32: Message edited by: Growltigga ]

Trajan July 12th, 2002 05:42 PM

I seroisuly wish I could get Double Diamond here, but I have not seen it in months. I do occasionally get Celbrator Double (Dopple?) Bok.

As for Bass Ale being "Americanized" I think that is a failry accurate statement. As with many things that are initially imported, they get "watered down" to fit the generic desires of the disposable income spending mob.

One of my friends will not drink Guiness anymore, unless he is over in England/Ireland. He says the difference is just far far to great.

Is anyone here a wine connoisseur? I am always look for more information on wines as well.

Cheers!
Trajan

Growltigga July 12th, 2002 05:51 PM

Trajan,

As joint manager of the Cantina, I naturally have a major interest in wine and like to think I am an informed amateur on the subject.

I am a major fan of all cote du rhones and particularily enjoy some of the new world whites -Friday night without a bottle or two of Banrock Station or Oxford Landing just would not be right

PaladinOfEarth July 12th, 2002 06:08 PM

Setting aside the chess game, In a low voice, but deep sonorous Paladin starts to talk.
A relaxed countenance exudes a peaceful demeanor but those eyes communicate the wariness of a man who has many enemies.
“Have a seat mac.” The delivery made it clear, Not a request, not an order, Just a statement.
A casual signal brings a FBW over. Paladin request she bring mac what ever he like for lunch. He passes the FBW a Metal coin, tells her to keep the change.

Fetching slip of paper from his pocket, he shows it to mac, Notes the nervousness of the poor fellow, tells him to relax. I'm not here "for you". I am here because of you. I believe you were interested in my services. :: Hands him the slip of paper ::

EDIT: Spelling

[ July 12, 2002, 17:14: Message edited by: PaladinOfEarth ]

Growltigga July 12th, 2002 06:16 PM

"Hmmm" thinks Growltigga, "I wonder if this PaladinofEarth fellow and The High Gryphin are one and the same people?"

"There is no sign of Grphin at the moment, and this Paladin person has the same poor spelling ability as El Gryphho does"

"The mystery continues"

Gryphin July 12th, 2002 06:59 PM

* Looks up more startled than when handed the card * What is el Heffe dreaming about now. That look, Maybe he has had oo much of the chabli.

PaladinOfEarth July 12th, 2002 06:59 PM

A wry smile crosses the lips. The eyes shift from mac to the well appointed kat. Nice threads, I’ll have to ask who his tailor is.

TerranC July 12th, 2002 07:03 PM

*TerranC comes in, looking miserably, seeing how he quit his job here and had to bail out of 3 PBW games, among other things, to sip some brews until he feels drowsy and weak and forgets everything.*

How's everybody?

*TerranC takes some of that German beer, and falls down drowsy*

mac5732 July 12th, 2002 08:44 PM

Mac nervously accepts the paper, it reads "have friend that is missing due to a dastardly, unscrupuless deed, contact Mac at the Ye New Glactic Bar & Grill & Phong's Head Cantina, Mac re-reads the paper, scratches his head, Thinks to himself, now why did I send that he tries to remember, as those cold, calculating, remorseless eyes from the stranger star into and through his countenance, sending shivers down his spine, This one, he mentaly remarks to himself, is definitly not the cream pie type, oh me oh my... and then it dawns upon his expanded scientific mind,.. could it be in regards to ......

to be continued

a bewildered mac

Glad to see ya back TerranC, looks as if your system is up and running again, good to see ya back, be careful of that new German Beer, strong stuff, maybe some Coors or Rollin Rock

[ July 12, 2002, 19:49: Message edited by: mac5732 ]

Gryphin July 12th, 2002 09:39 PM

Stepping into the shadows with mac and the stranger.
Turning mac,
Is this man bothering you? We can have him ejected from the premises if he is.

TerranC July 12th, 2002 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mac5732:
Glad to see ya back TerranC, looks as if your system is up and running again,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">?

If you mean:

Shaw cut my system: No... not yet anyways. I still have another week, until the 19th, then it's cut.

I moved to montreal in 3 days: uhh no. That is just impossible.

mac5732 July 13th, 2002 05:17 AM

thought you were moving earlier, sorry about that
thought you were already in transit....

just some ideas mac

TerranC July 13th, 2002 06:09 AM

Well I am moving, just at the END of the month.

tesco samoa July 13th, 2002 03:21 PM

Tesco would like to announce a 5 O'clock Brunch out on the Patio.

There will be pita breads, Humus, Mushrooms, Salsa, Blue Corn Chips, and various fruits to munch on.

Don't worry Mac. Later is the first ever Galactic Bar & Grill & Phong's Head Cantina Pig Roast ( If you do not like pig insert your animal of choice over the word pig ).

Also does anyone know when Saxon will be back ?

Gryphin July 14th, 2002 12:21 AM

Um, er Tesco???!
are you trying to say something?
ah,
"Don't worry Mac. Later is the first ever Galactic Bar & Grill & Phong's Head Cantina Pig Roast ( If you do not like pig insert your animal of choice over the word pig ).

Also does anyone know when Saxon will be back ?"

I don't think Saxon will appriiciat being on the menu!

[ July 13, 2002, 23:22: Message edited by: The High Gryphin ]

mac5732 July 14th, 2002 05:09 AM

Aahhh a cook out on the patio, wonderful, I'm all for it, pig is fine, pork is good meat...., make mine well done, aaahhhh, i'll be there, pop open a brewski or two, Make mine a coors, got a taste for the stuff while in the service,...., ice cold glass.... aahhhh, Tesco, we going to use yours and Puke's Sauces, if so we'll have to have more then one ice cold keg http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif to put the flames out...... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
turn on the jukebox, play some tunes, turn up the fire, turn the pig, poor some beer over it to add some flavor... ahhhhhhh, don't forget potato salad, whats a cook out without potato salad and of course BAKED BEANS http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Why wait for the pig roast for later, my mouths watering already, lets kick it in gear for this weekend or this coming week and get it roastin....

In the meantime, I shall of course join you all at 5pm on the patio for the get together to eat and swap war stories..... No mushrooms for me tho, alergic to them... I would embarass everyone by turning into a red spotted porkupine with hideious scratch marks on his anatamy.....

getting hungrey mac

[ July 14, 2002, 04:14: Message edited by: mac5732 ]

tesco samoa July 14th, 2002 08:55 PM

I personally would not want to have saxon on the menu. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

tesco samoa July 15th, 2002 04:19 AM

Saxon how was Ghana ???

Growltigga July 15th, 2002 09:28 AM

I agree, having seen a picture of Saxon kissing the end of an elephant's trunk (I beleive that to be illegal in some countries and under some of the more straighter-laced religions), I cannot see that there is a part of him you would want to eat!

OTOH, the thought of Saxon tied to a spit and being slowly turned over a charcoal and hickory chip fire whilst being basted in Tesco's chilli sauce does cause some amusement.. if only at the bleatings he would come up with....

Yahhh, today is a good day. I have an interview at another lawfirm today which has the potential of offering something better than where I am now (and that really wouldn't be hard). I am so looking forward to going into my bosses' office and handing in my resignation... she will have to work for a change and that girl does not know how to

the other reason I am happy is that I have just booked my summer holiday. The current Mrs GT and me are off to Borneo in 5 weeks and I cannot wait.
I will get to see orang utangs in th wild and that is something I have wanted to do for years

tesco samoa July 15th, 2002 04:02 PM

Two alligators are sitting on the edge of a swamp. The small
one turns to the big one and says, "I don't understand how
you can be so much bigger than me. We're the same age,
we were the same size as kids. I just don't get it."

"Well," says the big alligator, "what have you been eating?"

"Lawyers, same as you," replies the small alligator.

"Hm. Well, where do you catch'em?"

"Down at that law firm on the edge of the swamp."

"Same here. Hm. How do you catch'em?"

"Well, I crawl under a BMW and wait for someone to unlock
the door. Then I jump out, bite'em, shake the crap out of 'em,
and eat 'em!"

"Ah!" says the big alligator, "I think I see your problem.
See, by the time you get done shakin' the crap out of a lawyer,
there's nothin' left but lips and a briefcase."

Growltigga July 15th, 2002 04:09 PM

Hmmm... pity computer nerds are not even worthy of having jokes made about them...

My favourite is this one..

A man walks up to a lawyers and asks him how much he charges.

"£500 for 3 questions" says the lawyer
"Cripes", says the man, "isn't that an awful lot of money?"
"Yes" says the lawyer, "and what is your third question?"

Growltigga July 15th, 2002 05:21 PM

Here is another one...

A millionaire wins a rather messy divorce so to celebrate, he takes all his friends, and his lawyer, for a tip-top alcohol and sex-fuelled cruise on his private yacht round the caribbean.

The lawyers gets a little tiddly and manages to fall overnight. The crew throw him a life preserver and a banana dacquiri and he is happy as larry, bobbing about in the waves drinking whilst the rescue boat is launched.

Suddenly, this giant man-eating shark comes racing up to the lawyer, everybody is expecting him to be ripped apart but the shark surfaces underneath him so that the lawyer is astride his back, swims over to the side of the yacht and helps the lawyer back on board, with a wave from a fin and a flick of his tail, the shark disappears back into the depths.

Everybody is astounded and the millionaire walks up to the lawyer, who is still sipping his banana dacquiri happily, and asks him why the shark didn't eat him, but instead, helped him back on board.

"Oh that" says the lawyer "that is just professional courtesy"

Saxon July 15th, 2002 07:31 PM

Ghana is hot and humid. Skirts are short, tops are tight and the Internet is slow. Ergo, no sign of Saxon in the Cantina. Either that or a fear of why Tigga wants to see me tied naked to a spit and being slowly rotated. I always though Broomhilda was enough to slake his appetites, but I guess I was wrong.

I should be back on the 24th, though we are trying to get out of here early. Three of my less than stellar staff managed to get themselves deported and fired, so I now have a small staffing problem in East Africa. Word to the wise, don’t get drunk and piss off immigration officials in a land far, far away. They have no sense of humour.

geoschmo July 15th, 2002 10:01 PM

Geoschmo saunters in, drops his shilling on the bar and orders whatever passes for drinks in these parts. He arrives just in time to catch the tail end of the conversation. At an appropriate lull he decides to share with the room his favorite laywer joke.

So this lawyer decides to go on a trip to Borneo see? And he wants to see the wildlife and such so he hires a local guide to take him on a tour and show him the oranguatangs.

They get a ways out into the bush and they suddenly realize they are being stalked by a very hungry looking tiger. The guide, who up to this point had been dressed in completely authentic native accutrements and was walking about barefoot, calmly sits down, opens his knapsack and pulls out a shiney new pair of Nike running shoes and begins to lace them up snugly.

The lawyer, a bit frazzeled at the prospect of his imminent demise wailed, "Surely you don't think you can outrun that tiger on foot do you?"

The guide calmly stood and spoke quietly, "But sir, I do not need to outrun the tiger. I only need to out run you."

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Geoschmo

PS: No, it wasn't a laywer joke the first time I heard it either, but you gotta love a story that ends with the lawyer getting eaten. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

[ July 15, 2002, 21:04: Message edited by: geoschmo ]

PaladinOfEarth July 15th, 2002 11:02 PM

A quiet grin passes the lips of the man in the shsdows

Growltigga July 16th, 2002 10:18 AM

"Oh Geo", says Growltigga snicking his cricket pad into the palm of his paw, "you really are showing your geographical ignorance again, especially as it relates to local flora and fauna"

Growltigga strowls up behind Geo and says "YOU..DONT...GET..TIGERS...IN....BORNEO" enunciating and emphasising each word with a wallop round Geo's head with the cricket bat

Atrocities July 16th, 2002 12:34 PM

Atrocities enters the bar. He is hungry and in a really bad mood. People, fearing for their safety, move out of his path as he strides to the bar.

"I want a shot of your strongest poison!"

"Cuuummmmiinngg Rigght uppp Siiiiir." Squeaks the timid bar tender.

The drink is given to Atrocities; he slams it back, stands, looks about the room, and falls face first to the floor.

No more poison for him. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

dogscoff July 16th, 2002 02:12 PM

A distant rumbling is heard...

Patrons looking out of the windowcan see a faint blue strip on the horizon, which gradually grows until it is apparent that a gigantic 500-metre high wave of seawater is sweeping towards the cantina at an incredible rate, destroying all in its path.

Panic ensues: Various drinkers scramble to get to their spacecraft in the parking area, or hide uinder their tables and start crying. Growltigga's fur stands on end and he leaps into the rafters, quivering at the thought of getting wet. Other drinkers simply resign themselves to their fates and calmly order another drink, determined to at least go out in style.

Just short of the Cantina, the wave stops miraculously, just like that bit at the end of "Abyss". Within the wall of water, gigantic sea- creatures can be seen: Genetically altered whales in battle armour, legions of sharks in military formations, and fearsome deep sea- creatures as yet undiscovered by the air-breathing world at large.

Atop the wave, amidst the gravity- defying spume, upon a throne seemingly fashioned from the water itself there sits a figure. Someone produces a small telescope and everyone crowds around for a view of the Ocean King. It's Dogscoff, surrounded by voluptous mermaid courtiers and heavily armed mermen. Suddenly, an enormous squid swims to the front of the wave, rising up beneath the aquatic court. With one building sized tentacle, it lifts the throne and its occupant from the top of the wave to the Cantina's balcony. The throne of water collapses with a splash around the tentacle as the Ocean King steps from it into the bar.

"I'll have a pint of Hoegaarden, and a packet of salt and vinegar crisps." He says to the astounded barman. "Open a tab for me, I plan to stick around." It is some time before the rest of the cantina's occupants gather their wits enough to speak, but finally someone speaks up:
"Where have you been?"
"I've been conquering the undersea realms, forging an empire mightier than anything ever seen above the waves. I now control all subaquatic life on the eplanet, and have amassed untold wealth from the hitherto unexploited mineral resources of the ocean floor."

There is a stunned silence.

"But my fingers were going all wrinkly, so I decided to come back here for a pint. Drinks are on me for a week."

With that the wave retreats as quickly as it arrived, but not as quickly as the stampede for the bar now that someone else is paying...

dogscoff July 16th, 2002 02:17 PM

IRL...

I took voluntary redundancy Last week and so haven't been able to visit the forums from work, coz I don't have to work out my notice. Then this weekend I've been moving house, and so my home phone-line has been unavailable until this morning. I've been going Online from my mobile to keep up with PBW, but that's too expensive for general browsing.

Anyway, I'm bak for now, with a few days off and my home internet connection restored http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif I start a new job on Monday, where I probably won't get to browse the forums in work hours, so after thios week I probably won't be so frequent a visitor http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

[ July 16, 2002, 13:20: Message edited by: dogscoff ]