.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Glancing hits (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=52871)

Karagin May 10th, 2022 03:09 PM

Glancing hits

Interesting moment, French Milan team fires on a T-72 and gets a glancing hit. Not something I expected from ATGMs, but still an interesting turn of events. Another reason I like this game.

Aeraaa May 10th, 2022 03:18 PM

Re: Glancing hits

There was a video in Syria where a T55 had a glancing ATGM moment IIRC.

FASTBOAT TOUGH May 10th, 2022 04:05 PM

I can see this as a distinct possibility with the MILAN.

Less so with MILAN 2 "The missile together with the warhead was enlarged to 115 mm for greater armor penetration. It penetrates 550 mm or rolled homogenous armor."

MILAN 2T, "The 2T marked the introduction of a tandem HEAT warhead in the MILAN system." Late 80's on. If a tandem warhead "bounces" you better just quit the field and buy a lottery ticket.
Also; This missile penetrates 880 mm of rolled homogenous armor behind ERA.

I'll assume the following are in the game at least for France...
[b]MILAN 3 125mm missile in 1996.

MILAN ADT introduced a lighter firing "post" for the MILAN 3 with integrated thermal sights for day/night operation in 2006.

MILAN ER with a range out to 3km, new ADT and "This missile penetrates 1 000 mm of rolled homogenous armor behind ERA" Also the ADT is backward compatible with all older MILAN missiles. The implication here is though still range restricted by type, the accuracy would be greatly enhanced by the optics and targeting systems onboard this ADT.

That tells me if they ever get it fielded, this ATGW would fairly easily take out a T-14 ARMATA.
https://www.military-today.com/missiles/milan.htm

The above is very much in line with other refs.

In all the years I've played this game, I never saw this happen.

Karagin if this happened recently, GO BUY THAT LOTTERY TICKET!! :D

Aeraaa it sounds like your video "bounce" happened awhile back, I don't know, the magic might not still be there. :dk:

Regards,
Pat
:capt:

Karagin May 10th, 2022 04:50 PM

Yeah, my French force died 7 turns later. Something about light armor vs heavy...yeah they slaughter my guys, no matter how much I tried to use terrain, etc...only saw the glancing hit by ATGM once in the whole battle.

DRG May 10th, 2022 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karagin (Post 852550)
Interesting moment, French Milan team fires on a T-72 and gets a glancing hit. Not something I expected from ATGMs, but still an interesting turn of events. Another reason I like this game.

There was that video posted that looked like a Light AT weapon fired from a second story skimming the top of a T-72............ so sorta like that

I changed it to glancing because it had been hit with no effect and "glancing" better describes what is simulated

Mobhack May 10th, 2022 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 852556)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karagin (Post 852550)

There was that video posted that looked like a Light AT weapon fired from a second story skimming the top of a T-72............ so sorta like that

I changed it to glancing because it had been hit with no effect and "glancing" better describes what is simulated

That was the video of the NLAW fired within minimum range IIRC. It still set a fuel tank on fire or at least damaged something on the far side of the tank.

"Glancing" hit was originally "track hit" and has been called other things as time went on, it is basically "Bounced off" - ie a no-effect hit. Whether from fuse failure, skipping off at an angle, passing between the roadwheels or an 88mm shot passing through a light tank Mk VI's tinplate protection and not touching any crew mwmber as it did so - does not matter a jot. Its simply a NO EFFECT result, which happens in real life because of Murphy's Laws.