.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   BRAINPIPE: A Plunge to Unhumanity (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Thank You (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41728)

Gandalf Parker December 24th, 2008 07:45 PM

Thank You

Thanks for another great time killer :)
Cant you wait until Im tired of your other games before springing another on me?

Question: Is that fractal music you are using?
Ive been keeping an eye on that topic since I feel it as a large future in games. Much variety of music with very little code.

Gandalf Parker

Ripcord O'Reilly December 26th, 2008 07:48 PM

Re: Thank You

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker (Post 662011)
Thanks for another great time killer :)
Cant you wait until Im tired of your other games before springing another on me?

But how can we know this? ;) Anyhow, very happy you like the game! (Please spread the word.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker (Post 662011)
Question: Is that fractal music you are using?
Ive been keeping an eye on that topic since I feel it as a large future in games. Much variety of music with very little code.

You know, you stumped me there, though I kind of knew what you meant, so I looked this up and checked out a few fractal music apps. Very interesting, and I love the idea of procedural everything :) as long as the maker still calls most of the shots. ;)

No, what's going on in Brainpipe is loops. Seamless loops being cued up in an intelligently random fashion and crossfaded from one to the next. Every loop is handmade with traditional stereo and multitrack techniques, though the music itself....some of it is pretty nontraditional for games.

Great question!

Gandalf Parker December 26th, 2008 10:16 PM

Excellent job then.

I havent found fully fractal to workable yet. But, in a simplistic example,rock is a set series of chords and any note in the scale of each chord is acceptable when its time for that chord to be played. And a rock tune pattern, pattern, pattern, pattern, new pattern, pattern. So fractalizing a semi-random rock song should be doable. Same for most types of music.

I have abit of a background with randoms and many game ideas making use of structured chaos. Such as, forever large maps using very little game storage.

Ripcord O'Reilly December 30th, 2008 05:07 PM

Right, I get what you mean. Very cool.

Venus Flytrap from venus February 13th, 2009 05:09 PM

Yes, the music is probably the thing that gives "Brainpipe" the depth and coloraton it needs in order to acchieve the psychedelic qualities to connect with one's brain and render them addicted. I often wonder if The Great Rich had been inspired by The Beatles. Some of the tracks have an eerie twisted similarity to "Revolution Number 9", "A Day In The Life", "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "I Am The Walrus". Just to name a few.