.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Teleport question (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47409)

bbz May 15th, 2011 08:32 PM

Teleport question

Hello, I was just wondering, since it is said that teleporting unit moves durring the magical phase and then the movement phase occurs, can a teleporting unit catch a stealthy unit that just has taken over a province?(presumably with the orders to sneak in some other province)
I wasn't really sure because as I read in the manual it said that sneaking occurs when a normal move occurs(after magical movement and magical battle), but when I tested it it didn't work. I teleported a unit in a province but it couldnt catch the stealthy unit, (the stealthy unit had been visible since it conquered the provine) but then sneaked in another province the turn the teleport occured.
If you canno't catch them in the magical phase what do you do against them(given the fact that they have astral so mind hunt doesnt work)?
Thank you for the help in advance.

Samhain May 15th, 2011 10:16 PM

Re: Teleport question

Stealthy moves happen before ritual spells. So, catching them is very difficult. You actually have to target the spell where you expect them to sneak to rather than where they are.

You can try to anticipate where they are going to strike next and set ambushes, which can consume a lot of resources. Also, you can patrol choke points. Or, you can just wait for the raider to move and retake the province.

There are globals like Wrath of God and, I believe, Wild Hunt, that will catch sneaking commanders. Though, the latter would only work on priests.

If you are a blood nation, Looming Hell is pretty effective if your opponent is sneaking troops along with his commanders. It's great to see a large enemy force wiped out when one of the recruits takes out the leader.

bbz May 16th, 2011 03:01 AM

Hmm if stealthy moves happen before ritual spells then why doesn mind hunt work on them(stealthy commanders) with an order to sneak out of the targeted province?

Soyweiser May 16th, 2011 04:15 AM

Well it is actually pretty complex. Here are my experiences with turn orders.

Ordering a commander to go into hiding after he has not been in hiding. This includes sneak. The changing of the status of the commander is the first that processes. So, the next turn the commander will count as hiding for target purposes. (Not 100% sure if this applies if you sneak). Note: Move/attack resolution happens later. I would also assume that if you change your orders to move, you count as not hiding from the start of the turn.

Attacking a province you are currently standing in. Happens in the magic phase if the province is targeted by magical combat spells, move phase otherwise. (I have had stationary scouts take over provinces that where targeted by anonymous attack spells, conventional wisdom told me the scout would attack in the move phase. It didn't (also, he went first. So I didn't take that province)). Other magical attack spells (cloud trapeze, summon ghouls) cause your sneaking unit to join in the attack.

I don't know what happens if you cast a anonymous magic phase attack spell and you move+attack with a sneaker into that provice. But I assume the same happens as a normal magic phase attack spell. Aka, sneaker attacks in move phase.

Soyweiser May 16th, 2011 04:31 AM

Mind hunt works on sneaking commanders. Normal assassination spells do not.

bbz May 16th, 2011 05:05 AM

Thanks I do understand a bit of that.I will try and test it a bit more to make sure I understood it properly. Thanks for the responses.

rdonj May 16th, 2011 08:05 AM

Units that attack into a province that's been hit with a ritual attack spell move and attack normally. This is why ghost riders/horrors+scouts can be used to capture provinces. You just can't attack with a scout that's already in the province.

Soyweiser May 16th, 2011 09:51 AM

Really? It tends to get a bit muddy. two provinces, A, and B both with scouts. I cast ghost riders at province A. Scout A (in province A) attacks B. And Scout B (in province B) attack province A.

This is what happens. Scout A stays in A, attacks A during the magic phase. Scout B moves to A and attacks A in the move phase.

This has happend to me a few times.

I can't recall what happend if you cast remote attack spells at both A and B.

Dimaz May 17th, 2011 05:22 AM

If you cast GR on both A and B you will catch both scouts in original provinces and they won't move at all. You should always attack with a scout from the province where you don't cast anything appearing in magic phase, that's the main rule. However you can sneak scout from A to B and attack from B to A, this way you'll have both scouts in place for the next turn.

PyroStock May 21st, 2011 08:19 PM

I can confirm the following...

I had a scout in A and a scout in B.
Cast GR on A & B.
Sent A to B (not stealth).
Sent B to A (not stealth).

The result:
scout fights B.
GhostRiders fight B.
scout fights A.
GhostRiders fight A.

Having the scout in A attack A & scout in B attack B leads to the same result.