.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   A favor... (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44192)

jRides November 6th, 2009 05:55 PM

Re: A favor...

I would loved to see added:

Quote:

15. GROUND COMBAT that looks good and is effective.
Ground Combat, it's something I've always felt is missing from SEIV, hell, any 4X game. If you do make a 4X, the addition of ground combat would make me a happy bunny.

Also,
Leaders, (with rudiamentary stats at least) who would step in when you hit that Autoresolve button, for good or bad. Would be nice if they just care of themselves, but you could move them around if you had a better place for them (leading this task force or that diplomatic mission).

Expand the max Universe size, I would love a game with 1000s of stars.

Expand the Solar system size. I liked how you could expand the sizes of the solar systems in SEV (by modding), made scanner ranges and cloaking more important, playing cat and mouse with fleets and forcing design and use of scouts.

Also, one of the best thing about Space Empires is it's just so moddable, we see spectacular stuff from the community, vastly extending the game life, and sales - I have a friend who recently bought SEIV just to play Atrocities Star Trek mod.

Xrati November 7th, 2009 12:15 PM

AST mod, good choice! :cool: Then you'll just love the new SE4.5... ;)

Timstone November 9th, 2009 03:53 PM

Wow! I'm really anxious to see/read what Shrapnel is cooking.
I've read this whole thread and couldn't find these suggestions/wishes (of course I might have missed it... brewski...):

- Warppoints whit a working weight limit
- Traveltime between warppoints (in stock SE IV traveltime between two warppoints would be zero)

Timstone November 10th, 2009 11:23 AM

Ehh... have I just zombified this thread? :D

Gandalf Parker November 10th, 2009 01:30 PM

I think it was slowing on its own. Most of the opinions seem to have been given unless Tim Brooks spurs again. Maybe a specific direction.

Timstone November 11th, 2009 08:47 AM

Yeah, you're right Gandalf.
But another wish comes to mind:

- Firing arcs (shield arcs?)

Perhaps my namesake can give us some more info about this intersting mysterious project? :angel

Q November 11th, 2009 09:24 AM

Sorry, but firing arcs, directional shields and armor would be for me a reason not to buy this game: to much micromanagement and the AI would be almost certainly incapable to deal with it.

Suicide Junkie November 11th, 2009 08:14 PM

The same reasoning applies to overcomplicated ground combat.

You've got to limit the scope of scales you're dealing with, and not go overboard.

You could have SE4 style with the focus on grand strategy and the combats automated, and the capturing simple.
Or you could have a game focused on combats where the grand strategy is simple automated territory changes based on who wins each round, and the players run a series of fleet battles against each other with boarding and captures being detailed but automatic.
Or a similar ground combat game where the space battle is automated and you can call on reinforcements if your team is winning in space (at the expense of distracting from the space fight).

Trying to do all three of those games in one would make SE5's turn processing look like a blink of the eye.

Timstone November 12th, 2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q (Post 717866)
Sorry, but firing arcs, directional shields and armor would be for me a reason not to buy this game: to much micromanagement and the AI would be almost certainly incapable to deal with it.

Hmm... okay, scratch firing arcs. It's no use have a AI that can't cope with certain options. :o
But I do hope my first two wishes are endorsed.

Xrati November 12th, 2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

more info about this intersting mysterious project?
Yes, this project will hereby be known as SEX. Were going to skip to ten rather then go to 6 as SEX looks better than SEVI. :D

OR

SE Project X ' The Return of the Icon' :D