.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Multiplayer and AARs (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   MP: Doedicurus - Introductory CBM (PBEM, Llamaserver) - Upload Pretenders :) (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41004)

Gregstrom October 25th, 2008 10:56 AM

Doedicurus - Introductory CBM (PBEM, Llamaserver) - Upload Pretenders :)

I recently joined a CBM game, thinking 'well, how different can it be?' I found out, and didn't last 20 turns. Not all of that was due to it being CBM (I made various strategic errors all of my very own), but not knowing the mod certainly cost me some opportunities.

And so I thought I'd start up a game for anyone who, like me, is interested in learning the CBM game.

Mods: CBM 1.3
Number of players: 23
Map: Faerun 466 has been suggested.
Other Settings: Default

I'll cheerfully listen to ideas about maps/mods/game settings/whatever people would like to see.

And, in an attempt to redeem my appalling record with them, I'll be playing Ashdod. I hope one day to survive the early game with them.

Players:

Gregstrom - Ashdod
Ylvali - Ermor
Ossa - Ulm
Crust - Machaka
Janlm - R'lyeh
Meglobob - C'tis
gotchaaa - Pythium
Quitti - Abysia
Hadrian_II - Pangaea
Kojusoki - Marignon
Radiogibbon - Vanheim
Saarud - T'ien Ch'i
Nikelaos - Oceania
Rabelais - Man
Jybalbyle - Arcoscephale
Psykmoe - Agartha
Deadnature - Bandar Log
Slayers_ai - Jotunheim
Shikome - Eriu
Juffos - Caelum
Konming - Mictlan
Radioheart - Atlantis

Omnirizon October 25th, 2008 11:49 AM

Re: Doedicurus - an introduction to CBM (PBEM, Llamaserver)

I don't think I should sign up, but I just wanted to posit that with CBM, production dependent nations get a huge buff and are worth considering and playing with max prod max turmoil max luck.

In general, production dependent nations (without some superpowered troops like the giant nations) are rarely on the same power level as nations that don't need to depend on this scale. read through the nations evaluations thread, the OP of the preponderance game thread, or just look around at nation strength opinions in general and you will notice that all of the nations believed to be particularly powerful tend to sport at least one high-powered/low resource unit, or at least very high cost to resource ratio units. Mictlan, Vanhiem, Lanka, Pythium, Nief, ect. There are of course many other such nations that are not considered powerful, but the point is that for any nation to really be considered effective they need to be able to produce lots of good troops. Those nations that are too dependent on production for their good units can't produce them fast enough, and are really forced to build forts in very specific areas where they can get more resources. They also must divert points into the production (generally considered an overall weak scale) rather than order (generally considered on of the most important scales) or another scale (like magic). Overall, the production dependency just puts a burden on these nations that the typically high-powered nations do not need to deal with.

CBM fixes this by making production intensive units a little cheaper in gold cost, and by making the luck scale more intense. Taking a production scale is more efficient, allowing a nation to swing with a turmoil luck scale. But the luck scale is more intense, meaning you will get more good events. The higher efficiency of the high resource units (being lower in gold cost, and typically being more robust due to higher prot) allows the nation to run fine with limited funds. But the luck scale will kick in intermittently and you will get nice gold boosts that allow you to build things like forts and such pretty painlessly. Additionally, you will get some bonus gems from the luck scale. On the flip side for the Order lovers, they will have to deal with a more intense misfortune scale, typically a favorite point mine for Order nations. With the intensified effects of this scale, even max Order is really getting risky with Misfortune of 2; this helps deprive these nation of at least one basically free positive scale pick.

At least, that's my analysis of one of the biggest changes in CBM. In my testing, the nations that have some high resource units as their elite units are really a lot better now.

Ylvali October 25th, 2008 12:30 PM

I´m in. Haven´t played CBM much (actually haven´t played tha game itself that much either) And I´d like to play MA ermor.

Ossa October 25th, 2008 01:04 PM

I'd like to join with MA Ulm

Crust October 25th, 2008 03:39 PM

I could join as Machaka.

Janlm October 25th, 2008 04:21 PM

i'll sign up as rlyeh

Meglobob October 25th, 2008 04:40 PM

I have only played 2 CBM games, eliminated early, around turn 20 in one and never had the chance to do much in the other, overwhealming Hinnom win.

So, I would like Ma Ctis.

gotchaaa October 26th, 2008 06:22 AM

Re: Doedicurus - an introduction to CBM (PBEM, Llamaserver) - 6 signed up, more wante

can I plz take pythium?

Gregstrom October 26th, 2008 10:11 AM

Re: Doedicurus - an introduction to CBM (PBEM, Llamaserver) - 6 signed up, more wante

Of course :)

Starshine_Monarch October 26th, 2008 11:36 AM

Re: Doedicurus - an introduction to CBM (PBEM, Llamaserver) - 7 signed up, more wante

Give me Atlantis. Can't have Rlyeh hogging up the water wihout any competition.