.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Armor in Dominions: Realistic Modeling with the Stats We Have (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45500)

Raiel May 2nd, 2010 08:10 PM

Armor in Dominions: Realistic Modeling with the Stats We Have

I'm interested to see what general opinion is on the armor found on regular recruitable units.

Are different types realistically represented with the stats currently in use in the game? (Protection, Encumbrance, Defense Malus/Bonus, Resource Cost... am I forgetting anything?) Are the different types accurate relative to each other?

Here's Sombre's last thread and the mod he was working on (his 11th?) when he was permanently banned:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45415

He specifically requested that we not discuss realism in that thread, so even though he has been summarily booted from the community, I respect his vision and dedication enough to take that discussion somewhere else... thoughts?

Rookierookie May 2nd, 2010 08:43 PM

Re: Armor in Dominions: Realistic Modeling with the Stats We Have

I think it's important to reduce the weight of the barding on centaurs.

Maerlande May 2nd, 2010 08:59 PM

On sombre review, I suggest we completely ignore the original modder's desires and do something completely new.

Here is my proposal.

Armour can be built of the following five materials:

1) Woven fabric
2) Well cleaned bones from chicken drumsticks.
3) Cast polyurethane
4) Chicken wire with spray concrete.
5) Pasticine

Briefly here are some of the characteristics of the armour
1) Low protection (5-8), low encumbrance (zero), and causes disease due to failure to bathe.
2) Moderate protection, very light (bird bones are hollwo), but also causes disease until autoclaved.
3) Heavy (density is moderate but thickness is high), extremely durable, very high protection. If you doubt me, try sticking your pointy parts into a truck bed liner and remove them.
4) Light and quite high protection. However, mobility is zero since it's impossible to make joints after you've been cast into concrete. Particularly effective for troops used to block castle gates.
5) Heavy but very flexible. Protection is moderate. It has very high blunt resistance.

vfb May 2nd, 2010 10:49 PM

Why are you always paying some much attention the the materials? They are irrelevant!

We have been over this several times. What matters is the work done, or energy input, into the crossbow bolt that is being fired through the plasticine or fabric or troll skin or whatever. It does not matter if the crossbow bolt is actually a chicken bone.

Squirrelloid May 2nd, 2010 10:57 PM

Ah, but quality matters too... Those are +Chicken Bone Bolts+ you're firing!

Maerlande May 2nd, 2010 11:02 PM

You ... I can't say VFB. I might get banned.

This is different! It's a static system at steady state. Energy was long ago input and is all gone now in chemical reactions. The materials are key.

Soyweiser May 2nd, 2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirrelloid (Post 743465)
Ah, but quality matters too... Those are +Chicken Bone Bolts+ you're firing!

My golem has no vital organs for your bolts to pierce. You should have used blunt or slashing weapons. Or just dump him in the lava.

Quitti May 3rd, 2010 03:02 AM

Or use a cage to trap and pacify it.

Soyweiser May 3rd, 2010 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quitti (Post 743545)
Or use a cage to trap and pacify it.

How do you prevent it from escaping when you move the trap?

Quitti May 3rd, 2010 09:00 AM

Not an issue. Just dig a way around.