.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   TIME TO PAY UP! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=19315)

Gandalf Parker June 10th, 2004 03:35 PM

TIME TO PAY UP!

OK people. We seem to have lost some of our most active user-producer types. And the ones that are left are talking about "working" on things and possible burn-out. Some projects seem to have just been dropped, apparently for lack of interest.

Its time to remember how to pay for free things.
If you thanked someone for that mod/map/utility/service that you use all the time then please disregard this post. If not... then track down the threads of all the stuff people did for free, or talked about doing, that you want to see more of. Thank them, put a note in showing them that they werent just talking to themselves, show an interest in getting some more.

This has been a public service announcement from Shrapnel Forums. A free service to the games community. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

[ June 10, 2004, 14:43: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]

tinkthank June 10th, 2004 03:53 PM

Re: TIME TO PAY UP!

What do you mean, "lost"?

Of course it is important to thank people who help, even if it is just a handy tip or whatever on these Boards here.
I have the sinking feeling, however, that this announcement may not have the effects you are looking for: this type of "remember to say thank you to grandma!" is an important pedagogical device necessary in educating children, but adults rarely like being treated as such. I think that the vast majority of the people here are decent and grown-up types, who already know that they must say thank you to grandma; those who don't know this already will probably be turned-off by official admonishments. But maybe I'm wrong.

FadingSuns June 10th, 2004 04:18 PM

I dunno tinkthank, something kinda similar started happening with The War Engine. There's some fantastic folks who post to that board, but after awhile the mods just stopped coming. It was a shame because they really added to the gaming experience to see how other people go about creating 'The Perfect Game'. There were still some mods that were tossed around that never really saw the light of day. (Battletech, Green Things from Outer Space, Space Bunnies Must Die).
An insane amount of time and effort can go into a mod, so getting a little encouragement can go a long way. Especially when your bloodshot eyes are staring at a map of pixels magnified 1000x, its 4:00am and you begin to wonder if you are the only person in the world who wants to be able to have Batman fight barbarian mimes in prehistoric France...
Anyway, off my soapbox now. Be expecting something from me today or tomorrow that will knock your socks off. It doesn't have Batman tho... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

littlemute June 10th, 2004 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:

Its time to remember how to pay for free things.
If you thanked someone for that

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">I built this Vickers machine gun for Halflife quite a few years back and it was awesome to see how many people emailed me about it because it helped them build their own ("if this littlemute chump can make this, I can do better!") or use it in one of their maps.

The praise does help keep the fire under the butt. So yeah, if you see a mod you like EMAIL the person and tell them they rock. (this is like a usenet "me too" post!)

Gandalf Parker June 10th, 2004 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tinkthank:
What do you mean, "lost"?

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Well it was prompted by me kicking myself for not doing it. Some very helpful threads here that were being maintained and updated by individuals, seem to have fallen stagnant. I was wondering if I should try to get someone to take up where they left off, and I realized that I probably should have shown appreciation when they were still being maintained.

Scott Hebert June 10th, 2004 05:41 PM

Is that what happened to Saber Cherry?

Scott

Gandalf Parker June 10th, 2004 06:25 PM

Well yes the Newbie Thread Saber Cherry was maintaining is one I miss. And the WishList thread that St. Patrick was maintaining. Arryns site had alot of our downloads and Im having trouble getting there. There are more but I cant remember them right now so if anyone is watching this waiting for me to say their name please consider it said. Ummm thanks to all the fan sites, the devs for free patches, shrapnel for a free forum, Bush for giving me so much free time, Murphy for leaving my computer alone..
(oh now we are just getting silly)

mlepinski June 10th, 2004 07:48 PM

I don't know if this is the right thread for this post, but:

I just wanted to thank Phillipe, Leif and Gandolf for their work relating to the random map generator.

Thanks a lot!

- Matt L. :->

Norfleet June 10th, 2004 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bayushi Tasogare:
Is that what happened to Saber Cherry?
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">I seem to recall hearing from somebody that Saber Cherry was killed in a gruesome accident during a fishing trip sometime in mid-April.

Endoperez June 11th, 2004 07:39 PM

I haven't tried out most maps, as I still nly have the demo, but those that I have look very nice. Thanks go to Robin le Guetteur (I hope I got that right), the map is great even for me who doesn't understand French...
Also thanks for Andrew J. Osborn. I just *had* to try 'Ringworld' out when I saw it, even though I knew I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy it with the demo!

And, Saber Cherry. I think I will try to find and bump threads about her Battle Simulator and the gauntlet listings.