.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   World Supremacy (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=230)
-   -   Map and other Questions (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=46646)

Togo November 22nd, 2010 06:36 PM

Map and other Questions

Map

1. Is there a limited number of maps or map tiles?
2. Are there Map Types (land/islands/continents) in the full game?
3. Is there a way to start a game with just a single region?

Combat
4. Do units ever miss in tactical combat?

Units
5. From the demo it seems all you need are bombers (most powerful unit in demo) and a few infantry to capture land, where are the anti-air units?

Mods
6. Can other unit types be add with mods?

Weapon Range
7. Would be nice to see the range highlighted with a unit is selected vs. counting tiles.

Money
8. It seems too easy to over spend because of the way money is shown. Would be nice to see the total cost of items purchased along with total money available next turn, so you don't over spend. Money Available next turn = (Money + Income) - maintenance ) - Total spending).

9. Would be nice to see a list of maintenance cost of units and locations.

Other
10. Would like to hear what the plans are for this title, additions, expansion pack, etc.

Malfador Machinations November 22nd, 2010 08:48 PM

Re: Map and other Questions

Some answers:

1. No.

2. The Map Types in the full game specify size (Small, Medium, Large, Huge, Gigantic) and whether the satellite background is used or not. It can also be used in Mods to have maps with more land, more ocean, and various settings which effect the map look.

3. No. If there was only one region, there would be only one player, and the game would be over.

4. No.

5. Anti-Aircraft Truck, Fighters, Destroyers.

6. Definitely.

10. The hope is to release an expansion pack with more units, bigger maps, and more. It really depends on how much the mods cover themselves.

Hope you like the game!

Aaron

junk2drive November 23rd, 2010 09:46 PM

I didn't see an AA truck on the list. Cruisers also state land sea air attack.
What I saw was enemy bombers flying all over my regions with impunity and attacking a region with infantry only. In combat my troops are gone with one shot. Then I sent 4 fighters to my neighbor and lost those with one shot.
What's the trick to killing bombers?

ScottWAR November 24th, 2010 12:51 AM

If you can change starting tech level to medium and you will have anti aircraft trucks at the start of the game, otherwise you have to research them.

As to how to kill bombers, its important to try and maneuver your units so that they get the chance to fire first.

junk2drive November 24th, 2010 12:58 AM

Thanks

I only have the demo. Not sure if I can change tech level.

Not sure either how to get the first shot. Guess it will come to me the more I play.

ScottWAR November 24th, 2010 10:18 AM

Units can either move or fire,....so you want your enemy to move into your units range so you can fire on your units turn. You dont want to move into range so that your enemies unit can fire on its turn.

Predicitng how this is going to play out in multiplayer games is,.............interesting.

Beachinnole November 25th, 2010 07:57 PM

I found two strategies so far…

1. If my fighters and bombers are massed into one unit for each (i.e. everything came in from one territory) I try to place the Fighters and Bombers in the center of the map about 1/3 of the way in and then use the ground units and helios to flank the enemy and sucker them into the center for an aircraft kill. Once the enemy air units are out of the way I then use the ground units to advance and soak off the enemy attacks with the air units behind them. That way the lower cost/slower units take the hits & use up the enemy’s initiative while my aircraft take the opponents out.

2. I also try to launch a balanced force from several territories with at least 2 fighter units and two bomber units from each territory. This way there are 2+ Fighter units (with 2+ steps) and 2+ Bomber units (with 2+ steps) and then use them to flank and Cannae the enemy. This can be nasty if you can do it from three territories, try it.

MajorEET November 25th, 2010 09:52 PM

Hey Beach, thanks for the tactical strategy tips! I hadn't tried assaulting from different directions until you mentioned it. Very nifty.
I found that 4 cruisers can do a lot of damage to coastal units. The cruiser can attack with its cruise missile. When I had up to three cruisers, I was damaging units, maybe killing one, but when I added the 4th cruiser it became a force worthy of its price. Just cruise up and down the coast and bombard, taking out 3 to 4 units at a time...kind of fun!

Beachinnole November 25th, 2010 10:11 PM

Hey I came into a Territory with 3 Fighter and 3 Bomber units and just swept the map with the bombers one square behind the fighters. Took out a force about 3x's the size of hte defending force.

MajorEET November 25th, 2010 11:20 PM

I've seen that too. It is very possible to go into combat with just a handful of bombers and kill every thing and not lose anything, if you time your moves, pauses, skipping turns, etc. Its in the timing and I haven't figured it out yet, but I did the same thing as you, went up against a far superior force and didn't lose anything and killed all of them. I just got lucky in how I moved because I basically made them come to me and they did so piecemeal.