.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Conquest of Elysium II (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Gameplay video found :) (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=48344)

Doo February 8th, 2012 05:41 AM

Gameplay video found :)

Found this online.

The player doesn't appear to be a great player of the game (sorry if they read that) but has a go at playing a few different classes.

I'm looking at him thinking "No! Don't attack the bakemono!" :)

AngelSong February 8th, 2012 08:01 AM

Re: Gameplay video found :)

Good video....but not good enough player...
Make other^^please
I also want battle and summons could have some background.

WraithLord February 8th, 2012 09:39 AM

The opening music is sweet :)

Gandalf Parker February 8th, 2012 10:38 AM

A little too sweet. Im definitely going to need my MP3s in order to play aggressive. :)

Murmanda February 8th, 2012 11:47 AM

That looks like the one over at the wargamer - its from James Allen outof8...

Why has there been no video let plays done for this yet? Would be great if some lucky beta posted a couple. (especially someone who knew what they were doing.);)

edit to add, not that i dont appreciate what Gandalf and Edi have done though

Gandalf Parker February 8th, 2012 12:22 PM

Hey I just figured out how to do an AAR.
Altho I do definitely see how a video would be much faster with the way this game plays so fast. It takes me a hundred times longer to put up an AAR turn than it takes to do the turn.

Im even considering buying a cheap headset mic. Not only to do a YouTube of the game but because I really think this game would play well in a VoIP conference room

Edi February 8th, 2012 01:20 PM

One of the reasons there hasn't been a youtube video is because I don't have a youtube account, video capture software, video editing skills or much anything else in the way of doing that sort of thing. :)

I am, as one might surmise, more of a storyteller with the written word as my chosen medium.

vladikus February 8th, 2012 01:32 PM

Too many teasers! Need the real thing to make an accurate judgment of the game ;)

My compliments to the developers (that goes for the musician as well). Thanks to all AAR creators as well.

The only suggestions I would have is for someone in the community to provide some updated sound effects *touches his nose*. Not a big deal though. Good stuff.

ArkhanTheBlack February 8th, 2012 05:59 PM

Music is way better than in Dom3, though I often use my own collections, so it's wouldn't have been a big issue anyway.

Though, the interface could be a bit richer. A map and maybe using the space at the bottom and/or top a bit better.

Combat could have some more color.
Not the biggest fan of Dom3's so called 3D, but a background representing the landscape (Forest, plain, mountain, etc.) would have been nice.

Gandalf Parker February 8th, 2012 06:19 PM

The terrain is much more variable in CoE3. Seasonal, spell effects, and events can also change the ivew

WraithLord February 9th, 2012 09:32 AM

The game play can't be that bad. Maybe he wanted to give a taste of what the game is like rather than play for real.

Edi February 9th, 2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WraithLord (Post 794972)
The game play can't be that bad. Maybe he wanted to give a taste of what the game is like rather than play for real.

If that video was made by someone who accidentally got the beta version from a Desura preorder before that was fixed, it might be exactly that difficult for him. Because without the manual the mechanics can be rather impenetrable and very difficult to learn and reason out. And the manual was not included in the beta.

Gandalf Parker February 9th, 2012 01:52 PM

EDIT the above:
The Wonderful, Extensive, Helpful PDF Manual created by Edi.
Which is NOW included with the game along with the Wonderful Map Editing manual created by Edi.

And now it looks like the Switches (in usual Illwinter style) could use a manual also :)

CoyoteTheClever February 9th, 2012 02:54 PM

I wish we all got the beta from preordering with desura =P. All these teasers but still no game to play =D

Murmanda February 10th, 2012 04:01 AM

Excellent new video up at youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHWiHC-i5b4

roll on the 20th...

Gandalf Parker February 10th, 2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmanda (Post 795112)

roll on the 20th...

I love this video. For one thing, he is talking it thru.

For another thing, even though he is obviously learning it as he goes and says he did not yet look at the manual, he play it pretty well. There were only a couple of things Id have commented on or corrected. Pretty amazing game player to do such a good video at the learning stage of a game.

He mentioned that he might also do a Dom3 video later. I hope he does

Murmanda February 10th, 2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker (Post 795129)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmanda (Post 795112)

roll on the 20th...

I love this video. For one thing, he is talking it thru.

For another thing, even though he is obviously learning it as he goes and says he did not yet look at the manual, he play it pretty well. There were only a couple of things Id have commented on or corrected. Pretty amazing game player to do such a good video at the learning stage of a game.

He mentioned that he might also do a Dom3 video later. I hope he does

Its hard to get the same sense of a game with an written AAR that a video provides... youtube has ruined me. But i got to say, the Illwinter vibe comes through loud and clear. I don't think ive been looking forward to a game as much as this for years!

Any chance Gandalf of using your connections and seeing if we could get an early look at the manual?

Edi February 10th, 2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmanda (Post 795138)
Its hard to get the same sense of a game with an written AAR that a video provides... youtube has ruined me. But i got to say, the Illwinter vibe comes through loud and clear. I don't think ive been looking forward to a game as much as this for years!

Any chance Gandalf of using your connections and seeing if we could get an early look at the manual?

I can answer that. Not happening unless Johan says it's okay. Besides, the manual is still not quite complete and my own personal opinion is that incomplete copies have no business whatsoever being in circulation.

Gandalf Parker February 10th, 2012 01:43 PM

Edi is the author of the manual so its between him and Illwinter.

Personally Id love to see a posting of at least the descriptions of the different nations.

As maybe not the whole game manual, but I would LOVE to see the Map Editing manual posted. Im looking forward to player created Scenarios adding in triggers and timers for global events, in-game quests, more surprising AIs. Im eager to spark some creative thinking along those lines. Not to mention the player-created MapGens like we had with Dom3.
(that manual is Edi's also so same restriction applies)

But I can tell you that both manuals are very impressive work.

Murmanda February 10th, 2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edi (Post 795140)
I can answer that. Not happening unless Johan says it's okay. Besides, the manual is still not quite complete and my own personal opinion is that incomplete copies have no business whatsoever being in circulation.

Incomplete copies with your name on it have no business whatsoever being in circulation? :)

I can appreciate that. Just though i would ask anyways - i like reading a good manual. Incidently, an early manual release can be a useful marketing tool...

Edi February 10th, 2012 05:05 PM

Yes, well, I suppose it can be, but I shall ask Johan and his word shall determine how it goes.

Edi February 10th, 2012 05:13 PM

Incidentally, in case anyone wonders why the necromancer AAR has not been updated in a while, I've been working my fingers to the bone putting the last finishing touches and polish on the manual and map editor guide.

Barring unforeseen surprises, the AAR should resume on Saturday or Sunday.

Admiral_Aorta February 10th, 2012 06:31 PM

There's not much point in having an incomplete manual floating around, it's a manual, it's not that useful without a game to play.

calmon February 10th, 2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral_Aorta (Post 795176)
There's not much point in having an incomplete manual floating around, it's a manual, it's not that useful without a game to play.

Well the dominions manuals had a lot of information on a lot of pages. I took this with me on my way to work via train for a long time in the past.

If the CoE3 is equal sized It would be indeed great to have them before. But no pressure to anyone. :)

Gandalf Parker February 10th, 2012 06:58 PM

Its not that big.

Personally, there are only two ways I ever read a game manual at all.
If I get it before I get the game.
Or after Ive been playing the game continually for a month.

Jack_Trowell February 10th, 2012 07:27 PM

The suggestion of posting parts of the manual as a preview seems a good idea for me.

I'm especially interested in the modding manual for my work on a online map editor that I have already started. The main problem is that once the game is released, I will probably be too busy playing it to be able to work on the editor for a while ... ^_^

Gandalf Parker February 10th, 2012 10:30 PM

Another video by that last guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_HsP2oSb2g

Not as good but he is obviously having fun playing the game. And you get more of a feel for how fast the game moves

Edi February 11th, 2012 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_Trowell (Post 795180)
The suggestion of posting parts of the manual as a preview seems a good idea for me.

I'm especially interested in the modding manual for my work on a online map editor that I have already started. The main problem is that once the game is released, I will probably be too busy playing it to be able to work on the editor for a while ... ^_^

A bit hard to do a modding manual when there is no modding yet. A map editor manual, though, that's been done. And at less than 10 pages it's not exactly overly long.

The whole idea of an online map editor actually puzzles me a bit, since the map editor in the game is quite functional and the event stuff is so complicated anyway that you need to type it by hand.

Jack_Trowell February 11th, 2012 04:51 AM

Sorry, I was thinking of the map editor manual, not the modding one.

I see two main uses for an online map editor:
1- using it to preview a map before downloading it
2- using it to manage what the official editor does not, and yes I'm thinking mainly about map events.

It is however possible that the official editor is so complete that mine wouldn't add enough to be really needed, but what you said about events seems to imply that it is not.

Cougar_DK February 11th, 2012 05:21 AM

Maybe a little ot, but seeing his videos has raisen my 'I want this game now'. He does a good job of showing what the game is even though he is a beginner.

But is it possible to select another color than red for the player? I'm red/green color blind and have a hard time seeing red on anything else but white.

Edi February 11th, 2012 05:36 AM

Jack Trowell:

Well, if you can build the events stuff to be point and click to set the target squares, target players etc, then yes, I actually see a lot of utility for it. However, you are going to have your work cut out for you to do the stuff. Not that it's all that complex to do from a programming point of view, just a bloody lot of work.

You are also going to need a list of monster names and list of item names or all the commands related to those will be useless, since the game only accepts names for both, not numbers.

However, while I am in possession of both (item list not necessarily being complete, though), I will need to discuss some things with Illwinter before releasing anything of the kind. There are considerations involved that prevent doing that kind of thing without consultation.

Edi February 11th, 2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cougar_DK (Post 795211)
Maybe a little ot, but seeing his videos has raisen my 'I want this game now'. He does a good job of showing what the game is even though he is a beginner.

But is it possible to select another color than red for the player? I'm red/green color blind and have a hard time seeing red on anything else but white.

Yes, yes it is.

Red
Blue
Green
Yellow
Purple
Teal
Brown
White

That's the color order and players always appear in that order. If you want to cut out certain colors, just add as many players as you like, then delete the undesired colors from in between. That bit is actually also mentioned in the manual.

Cougar_DK February 11th, 2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edi (Post 795213)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cougar_DK (Post 795211)

.... That bit is actually also mentioned in the manual.

Thanks Edi.

I don't have acces to the manual....yet :)

Jack_Trowell February 11th, 2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edi (Post 795212)
Jack Trowell:

Well, if you can build the events stuff to be point and click to set the target squares, target players etc, then yes, I actually see a lot of utility for it. However, you are going to have your work cut out for you to do the stuff. Not that it's all that complex to do from a programming point of view, just a bloody lot of work.

Working on web interfaces like that is a major part of what I do for a living, and yes I know there can be some very boring moments (and no, my dom3 editor is not what I would call my best work, I know that I could do much better). :p

Quote:

You are also going to need a list of monster names and list of item names or all the commands related to those will be useless, since the game only accepts names for both, not numbers.

It's strange, I was expecting illwinter to make more use of unique ids, not less, but I can see where the problem might arise when adding modding support to the game.

I must say that in order to implement the most complete features for such an editor, I'm more or less counting on something like your very useful Dom3 DB. :angel

Quote:

However, while I am in possession of both (item list not necessarily being complete, though), I will need to discuss some things with Illwinter before releasing anything of the kind. There are considerations involved that prevent doing that kind of thing without consultation.
Note that for a first prototype, the full list wouldn't be needed, just a few exemples of the global structure/flags or the like. If the structure is good, expanding the data later should not pose any problem. ;)

However with the release being in less than 10 days now, don't lose more time for me, there will still be enough time after the release.

Edi February 12th, 2012 03:55 AM

Best if you wait for the full release then, because the map editor guide is going to be almost a pseudocodde programming template for you. You could construct a prototype based on just a few examples, but without the full set it would just be wasted work.

The trigger conditions all have different parameters and then you tack the event codes after them, with each event code having its own parameters. If you code a few examples, you would need to rethink the lot when you get the whole set. You'll get a better result from the complete list because you only need to think it through once, then do the whole shebang in one go.

Trust me, I've done enough documentation to be able to recognize that, seeing as how doing things on the fly necessitated a complete restructuring of the game manual once and lesser restructuring modifications at least twice, the last of which was last night. Retrofitting massive structural changes into a complete document (or in your case, program code) is a massive pain the backside.

Gandalf Parker February 13th, 2012 07:24 PM

More video by the same guy
Burgmeister this time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsS1Y3Io6a4

Admiral_Aorta February 13th, 2012 09:32 PM

Do neutral wizards(like the ones who appear for hire as random events) have any ritual spells or summons?

Edi February 14th, 2012 02:10 AM

No, just combat magic.

Gandalf Parker February 14th, 2012 11:25 AM

Altho hires can come with equipment. And some equipment can have summons.

Edi February 14th, 2012 12:18 PM

And some of the equipment can be worth twice or three times what you paid for the wizard, depending how useful it is for your other units...

phsjr February 16th, 2012 12:33 AM

Hey folks, I made another video. This is a test drive of the High Cultist class!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SneQl7uQvEs

skavenhorde February 19th, 2012 01:06 AM

More Please!

Loving these videos. Maybe do a complete Let's Play once you showcase all of the different nations. I know that won't be for a long time since there are a lot of nations to do and you are the Minecraft master, but I'd love to see a COE 3 game from start to finish.

Wousides April 6th, 2014 09:46 PM

This is a great vid! Keep them coming!