.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Blesses and ranged weapons (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=48409)

legowarrior February 19th, 2012 11:09 PM

Blesses and ranged weapons

What kind of bless is best for ranged sacred?

Bwaha February 19th, 2012 11:23 PM

Re: Blesses and ranged weapons

I've never bothered with a blessing for sacred archers...

Air blessing maybe? It seems that it would be kinda a waste to devote a blessing made just for archers...

My two cents worth... :D

shatner February 19th, 2012 11:43 PM

A water-9 bless will get your archers to fire 50% more often (3 times every two combat rounds) so that's something. A death bless will have their arrows causing more afflictions. That's actually very synergistic with LA T'ien Ch'i since their sacred mounted archers cause AoE fear with their arrows, which stacks nicely with the common affliction of Battle Fright. Air can help since it'll make your archers more resistant to enemy archers, but it's a pretty tepid bless overall.

And that's about it. No other bless directly helps sacred archers. Of course, everything loves a little regen (nature), reinvig (earth), MR or twisted fate (astral). Note that a bonus to attack does nothing for ranged attacks and fire weapons only apply to melee, so a fire bless does literally nothing for sacred archers.

BewareTheBarnacleGoose February 20th, 2012 12:32 AM

Quickness is good for archers, helps them get more volleys out faster. But quickened archers also annoyingly move between shots, so they will always get into melee. But that isn't a problem with LA Tien Chi, if that's what you were thinking of, since they do fine up close. But TC can also cast quickness, so you aren't getting much for your design points.

Kobal2 February 20th, 2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shatner (Post 796157)
A water-9 bless will get your archers to fire 50% more often (3 times every two combat rounds) so that's something.

Actually it will get them to fire once, then move forward. It's a terrible bless for sacred archers.

thejeff February 21st, 2012 06:23 AM

They do fire more often, but they also move forward. I've not quite figured out the pattern behind it.

It's really only worth it when the sacred archers are also melee capable. Which probably means LA TC.

Olm February 21st, 2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejeff (Post 796317)
It's really only worth it when the sacred archers are also melee capable. Which probably means LA TC.

LA Man, wardens are rather capable in melee ;) Or does it not work well with x-bows?

Kobal2 February 21st, 2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olm (Post 796318)
LA Man, wardens are rather capable in melee ;) Or does it not work well with x-bows?

They also have high encumbrance so speeding them up might not be the best idea :)

JonBrave February 22nd, 2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shatner (Post 796157)
[...] and fire weapons only apply to melee, so a fire bless does literally nothing for sacred archers.

I assumed a level-9-Fire-blessed ("Flaming weapons") sacred archer would mean "Flaming arrows". Am I thinking too literally? Is that not the case?

thejeff February 22nd, 2012 06:24 PM

No, doesn't work. Flaming arrows only comes through the spell.

The fire bless only works on melee weapons.