.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps and Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Mod: Nation - Tomb Kings - v1.03 released (March 2009)! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35201)

Juzza October 29th, 2007 05:50 AM

Re: Tomb Kings mod released!

Ooo, cheap sacred archers, that makes a death blessing effective!!

Humakty October 29th, 2007 06:38 AM

OOh, very nice, you modders know how to seduce me.
BUT, I wanna : at least a pretender, the 12 WH mods missing AND an undead poney. The last one is of utmost importance.

Juzza October 29th, 2007 06:42 AM

I agree, an undead pony pretender

Sombre October 29th, 2007 06:54 AM

Yes, I think we can all agree 12 warhammer undead pony pretender nations are needed.

Humakty October 29th, 2007 07:44 AM

Yep, with nice colored ribbons in their pelt.

llamabeast October 29th, 2007 08:34 AM

You're all crazy.

Hmm - pretender - for some reason doing a pretender never even crossed my mind. And I didn't think about adding specific standard pretenders to the nation either. Weird.

Things for the next version then I think. I will have to have a think about pretenders, suggestions welcome. The first ever Tomb King might be a good one.

Juzza - yes, I haven't tried it much, but I think a D9 blessing might work pretty well with the Asp Archers. I have been experimenting more with Buried and a E9/W9 blessing, which makes them pretty hard to kill (especially if you manage to get Resilience on all of them).

Shovah32 October 29th, 2007 01:40 PM

The summons that I assume are meant to be commanders(Ushabiti Avatar, Servant of Set, maybe Tomb Scorpion?) are not. The summons are all quite nice, although a little pricey if you don't have a fairly big bless for them.

The tomb swarm is very powerful(1 casting can pretty reliably take out level 5-7 indies) but also lots of fun. What's with the MR Negates tag on the spell?

The semi-immortal tomb kings are very nice but, due to the fact that they require upkeep, I don't think it's worth using them to call infantry unless you really need them and can't recruit them.

The national troops are nice, although tomb chariots might be a little pricey due to how fragile they are.

For a nation that seems fairly magic focused their non-capitol magic seems pretty poor. The nation is very similar magically to LA Ctis(although Tomb Kings have better summons), except that Ctis gets 240 gold, sacred, non-capitol banefire casters.

I'm guessing this nations is mostly built around getting a good bless and using its sacred summons due to its so-so magic elsewhere?

Burnsaber October 29th, 2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

llamabeast said:
You're all crazy.

No, actually they're quite sane. You just don't know pop culture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGGLENEEVYc

(Disclaimer: The comment proabably wasn't a reference to his, but in the internet, you can find arguments for ANY case)

Theonlystd October 29th, 2007 04:14 PM

Very nice mod

llamabeast October 29th, 2007 04:14 PM

Shovah - thanks for the comments - very helpful. It's really nice to have someone looking at it in such depth already.

Quote:

The summons that I assume are meant to be commanders(Ushabiti Avatar, Servant of Set, maybe Tomb Scorpion?) are not.

Oops, that was a bit of a cockup. I'll fix that shortly...

Quote:

The summons are all quite nice, although a little pricey if you don't have a fairly big bless for them.

Hmm, interesting that you think they're pricey. Balancing is tricky, and I guess I was scared of making them overpowered.
Immortals: These are expensive, because giving immortal sacreds seemed like asking for trouble. I think 1 death gem each would be too cheap, and they are powerful with a strong bless, so I guess these can't really change. Unless I made them 2 for 3 death gems - I suppose the time invested in summoning them is currently pretty serious.
Scorpion: I was just scared that they would be too powerful, what with trampling, high protection and fear. Have you tried giving them a support posse of priests to buff them and keep them healed? One can easily take down a small army even without a bless.
Ushabti: I think I was comparing them to Crushers, which cost 15 (Ushabtis cost 20). They do much more damage than Crushers, and are sacred, but they are a bit easier to take down. Maybe I should cheapen them a bit - national summons are often better than normal summons after all. What do you think - 18? 16?
Anubites and Servants of Horus: What did you think of these? They are quite potent but I found it hard to judge the price. They need to be a fair deal because they will be crucial if fighting an enemy who has potent counters to undead.
Usahbti Avatar: These guys are Tartarian-powerful I think, so I figured 35 gems was reasonable (not much more than 10 death + 20 nature for GoRed Tartarian). What do you reckon?

Quote:

The tomb swarm is very powerful(1 casting can pretty reliably take out level 5-7 indies) but also lots of fun. What's with the MR Negates tag on the spell?

Sounds like another cockup! Thanks. Glad you think it's fun. Once again it was a bit hard to balance. I think against other players it will not be too strong. If they don't expect it it will be, but they are quite easy to kill off with magic and banishment.

Quote:

The semi-immortal tomb kings are very nice but, due to the fact that they require upkeep, I don't think it's worth using them to call infantry unless you really need them and can't recruit them.

Yeah, the raising of infantry is meant to be very much a secondary ability of the kings and priests (you know the priests can do it right?). I didn't want to make another Ermor. Generally you are better researching with them. It's a really useful ability when sieging though. You can continually grow your army in the field.

Quote:

The national troops are nice, although tomb chariots might be a little pricey due to how fragile they are.

Okay, I'll think about that. I always think chariots are quite devastating so I was loathe to underprice them. I will compare to other nations' chariots again.

Quote:

For a nation that seems fairly magic focused their non-capitol magic seems pretty poor. The nation is very similar magically to LA Ctis(although Tomb Kings have better summons), except that Ctis gets 240 gold, sacred, non-capitol banefire casters.

Hmm okay. The sorcerors were deliberately expensive to encourage recruitment of priests, which are meant to be the nation's focus. High priests can of course skelespam and shadow blast, although they are not as good in battle as the sorcerors, who are mean with Phoenix Power and Aim, followed by Sulphur Haze or Falling Fires. But perhaps you're right that I've ended up making them excessively overpriced. I'll consider the prices again. You're right that they should certainly be magically quite strong.

Quote:

I'm guessing this nations is mostly built around getting a good bless and using its sacred summons due to its so-so magic elsewhere?

Hmm, well not really, I wanted them to be all-rounders. Obviously they have a good range of sacreds but a bless shouldn't be essential for them.

What would you think of:

Buried Sorceror: 220 -> 190
High Priest: 260 -> 220

I think the High Priest is definitely overpriced, since they are pretty key and should be a fairly standard unit to recruit.