.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps and Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Tools and Tutorials (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=32749)

DrPraetorious March 3rd, 2007 05:36 PM

Re: Tools and Tutorials

When I'm done with my guide on spell modding I'll attach it here (since I'm uploading new drafts a lot I don't want to put it in two places.)

DireAussie March 11th, 2007 10:30 PM

Map Starting Locations Modifier

This web script allows you to modify a map's possible starting locations so that you are guaranteed a minimum number of neighbouring provinces in each starting spot. Sick of unfair maps that put you in a province with 3 neighbours while everyone else gets 5+? Sick of being a water nation and getting put in a lake surrounded by all land? Try my starting locations modifier, located at:

http://users.on.net/~dfidge/cgi-bin/dom3map.pl

Original thread

DireAussie March 11th, 2007 10:35 PM

Spell descriptions modifier

Features:

- Makes selected in-game spell descriptions more accurate, providing concrete values and formulas for spell effects instead of vague descriptions

- Ability to modify the spell descriptions yourself, with limitations (see readme file in download)

- Program is designed in a way so that it should work for any future versions of dom3.exe that Illwinter release

Download at:
http://users.on.net/~dfidge/dom3/patch.html

Original thread

DrPraetorious March 15th, 2007 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached find the best damned start-province finding perlscript anyone will ever write.

USAGE:
cp map.map new_map.map
perl (scriptname) X R map.map >> new_map.map

It takes as input the minimum number of neighbors each start-province must have (X), and the absolute minimum distance between each pair of start provinces (R).

For the first start province it chooses the eligible province with the fewest eligible start provinces within R.

FOr the second start province it chooses the eligible province farthest from the first start province.

Now it adds provinces in order to minimize the *variance* in the remoteness of all start provinces, and keeps doing so until it can't fit any more.

The "remoteness" of a start province is the sum of all path lengths between that province and other start provinces.

This will tend to spread the start provinces out on the map more or less uniformly. A province with fewer close neighbors will tend to be closer to the close neighbors that it does have.

I'm happy to alter the script somewhat if needed to meet community needs. It requires a real computer (with perl) to run.

It doesn't presently generate sea start sites. I'll add this functionality at some point. Oh, it also suggests places to add specials but it doesn't actually add any.

Gandalf Parker March 20th, 2007 05:05 PM

Now that other map generators have had a chance to post, I will mention that for those who wish to download a map then improve on it, my Dom2Minions site is still generating daily maps for Dom2. They usually work in Dom3.
Dom2Minions Random Maps
If none of them strike your interest, there will be a new batch tomorrow for you to look at. Its been running ever day for years.

In keeping with my own request at the beginning of this thread, here is a link to discussion about these maps and others.

These were generated using DomMap which is an open source generator from Dom2 days. Here is a link to DomMap-v2.18 but ask me if you want to pick it up for progressing it further since there seems to be a 2.19 (but I dont remember what it added).

paradoxharbinger March 26th, 2007 03:21 AM

ive made an app for creating units, basically just a gui that has all of the unit commands in it so you dont have to actually do all of the typing. it's in c#, so you'll have to have the .net framework installed for it, but i'm looking into a c# alternative that will allow it to be cross-platform. you can find the link in my sig.

Edi May 28th, 2007 04:57 AM

Information on the phenomenon of mod cumulativity Link updated

How to update mods or change things in the middle of the game Link updated

Those two links might be useful for mapmakers and modders as well as players who find that they need to change some tiny little detail but don't want to start a whole new game.

paradoxharbinger June 5th, 2007 06:49 PM

it seems like alot of people ask for a tga viewer other than gimp, so here's a link to irfanview, my personal fav

chrispedersen June 25th, 2007 12:33 AM

Re: Tools and Tutorials *DELETED*

Post deleted by Gandalf Parker

Valandil June 25th, 2007 12:49 AM

Don't think its possible right now.