.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: Starfury (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Xiati battleship question... (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=29229)

Bazmecc June 15th, 2006 06:01 PM

Xiati battleship question...

Hi.

I've been looking at all the posts trying to find an answer to this, but no luck.

Is there something special about the Xiati Battleship's hull (also, I think Xiati and Fazrah ships larger than cruiser class...)? It takes a very long time to destroy it. Weapons seem to do only ~5% of the damage they do to other ships hulls. Shields and armour take normal damage...can anyone explain this to me please?

Suicide Junkie June 15th, 2006 10:31 PM

Re: Xiati battleship question...

Emissive armor would be expected to have that effect, but it is armor.

A possibility is the stacking of damage resistane modifiers from hard difficulty and the high level, large racial ship hulls.

For improvements to the physics, I reccommend P&Nism from:
http://imagemodserver.mine.nu/other/MM/SF/mods/

Bazmecc June 15th, 2006 11:51 PM

well, this was on easy...

anyone else encounter this? don't really remember if every Xiati BB has been like this...

Bazmecc June 16th, 2006 12:07 AM

ok, I think I've figured it out, but it's stupid if you ask me...

It is the emissive armour...I just attacked a Xiati cruiser, and kept attacking the same facing...it's other 3 sides with emissive armour had 23% each, so 69% total damage reduction to each of my shots at its hull...

why is the armour damage resistance helping the hull take less damage???

and do the mods fix that?

Captain Kwok June 16th, 2006 01:09 PM

The emissive armor ability probably works by decreasing the amount of incoming damage, so as long as some of it is intact, it will reduce the damage the ship takes overall.

SJ's PN-ism series is essentially the default campaign, but with much better balance.

Bazmecc June 16th, 2006 02:25 PM

ok, but it doesn't seem to affect the armour the same, since i took that down quick. so if there was any damage resistance it was from whatever that one facing provided.
the other 3 armour sides didn't help the one i was attacking reduce any damage, but they help the hull...makes no sense to me.

how do you guys take down a Xiati battleship with so much emissive armour?...only solution i see is to blast most of the armour off before going after the hull

Suicide Junkie June 16th, 2006 09:36 PM

Well, I don't play stock, so I haven't had that issue... I play flavours of P&Nism instead.

The supersized P&Nism is particularily nice. Beefy planets!

Blueoriontiger June 27th, 2006 06:50 PM

I've had that problem with the Xiati Battleship, too. On that particular hull size...

the_tick_rules December 10th, 2008 10:59 AM

At higher levels the emissive gave my null space and tachyon beams fits. I blowed through the shields and armor with ease but when I got to the hull the damage went down to almost 0, even when I was hitting a side that had the armor destroyed and the fact null space bypasses everything. My assumption is the other armor plates do indeed reduce the damage done to the hull. Which is odd because once I watched a emsissive armed xiati cruiser fight a TCN battle cruiser. When the battle cruiser breached the xiati's armor it blew through it's hull like it wasn't there, maybe the NPC ships are coded different? I switched to psychic flailer and toxic injectors, they attack crew and have no defense from. I now can take out a battle ship in a single pass. Those two form the most deadly combo in the game as far as I'm concerned. Excluding any modded stuff of course.

the_tick_rules December 14th, 2008 08:48 PM

Oh I did a bunch of testing of emsissive equipped ships and it was all reduced but since battle ships have the most hull points loosing 30 or 40 points out of 1k instead of like 300 it takes longer to notice.