.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Smoke vs buildings (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=40673)

redcoat2 September 28th, 2008 10:11 AM

Smoke vs buildings

Can you use smoke munitions to set fire to buildings in the game?

BadCompany September 28th, 2008 10:54 AM

Re: Smoke vs buildings

nope.Try using a flamethrower.

redcoat2 September 28th, 2008 02:01 PM

Damn. My cunning plan to smoke out the Chechens has been foiled. :D

iCaMpWiThAWP September 28th, 2008 03:14 PM

Using flame rockets Can prove to be effective

Griefbringer September 28th, 2008 03:49 PM

Yep, in the game the smoke ammo cannot start fires. In real life it sometimes can, though: when I was in military on one exercise a smoke canister chucked by one officer started a small fire in a dry forest - luckily some guys in my squad quickly spotted it and managed to extinguish it.

However, most HE rounds of any significant size can start fires: mortar and artillery shells, tank main gun rounds, RPG/bazooka/recoilless rifle rounds, satchel charges and so on.

Also, don't really expect the fire to drive away any dug in enemy - though it can cause pinning.

Griefbringer

iCaMpWiThAWP September 29th, 2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griefbringer (Post 641270)
Yep, in the game the smoke ammo cannot start fires. In real life it sometimes can, though: when I was in military on one exercise a smoke canister chucked by one officer started a small fire in a dry forest - luckily some guys in my squad quickly spotted it and managed to extinguish it.

However, most HE rounds of any significant size can start fires: mortar and artillery shells, tank main gun rounds, RPG/bazooka/recoilless rifle rounds, satchel charges and so on.

Also, don't really expect the fire to drive away any dug in enemy - though it can cause pinning.

Griefbringer

i use fire to drive away enemies, i set their hexes on fire and they'll be at least pinned, a not dug-in/moving unit can rout, also fire blocks vision and can block TI (still need to know how many hexes are needed for TI blocking)

Listy September 29th, 2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcoat2 (Post 641252)
Damn. My cunning plan to smoke out the Chechens has been foiled. :D

Why not just smoke the building their in, move up and beat the snot out of them? Ti scouts if you've got it, TI tanks if not.

Or take up positions and wait for your smoke to clear.

redcoat2 September 29th, 2008 08:00 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I asked the question because I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Russians used smoke shells (which are incendiary by nature) to set fire to buildings during the Chechnya War, especially during the Battle of Groznyy - which I played as a random battle the other day.

As it was, I was able to suppress the Chechens with ‘shmel’/artillery/rocket fire (and tank fire from a safe distance) and then attack their buildings with infantry protected by smoke screens.

P.S. I can’t remember where I read about the smoke shells being used as incendiaries and so I’m not sure whether it was true or not.

iCaMpWiThAWP September 29th, 2008 08:48 PM

now i see, skirmisher's right, the ten year old code limits what can be done

Listy September 30th, 2008 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcoat2 (Post 641606)
Thanks for your replies.

I asked the question because I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Russians used smoke shells (which are incendiary by nature) to set fire to buildings during the Chechnya War, especially during the Battle of Groznyy - which I played as a random battle the other day.

Sure they're not talking about WP? Reporters are rather notorious for giving out the wrong details ;)