.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Probem with PBEM campaign (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=52615)

JohnHale January 12th, 2021 11:30 AM

Probem with PBEM campaign

Chaps,

I've had a spot of bother with a PBEM Campaign. I'm player 2, and we're both on the same version. I'm on Windows 10.

When I complete a Turn and e-mail it off, a .new file seems to have been created in the folder. I can go back to the game and it is as though I hadn't played the Turn.

Ay suggestions?

Mobhack January 12th, 2021 01:58 PM

Re: Probem with PBEM campaign

The game does an auto-save to slot 0 of the regular save games, but not in the PBEM saved games folder. Are you getting those 2 mixed up, assuming you are using slot 0 for the PBEM?

IIRC - any PBEM is not saved in the auto-save slot, just your own regular games, but its been a while so I may be wrong.

JohnHale January 13th, 2021 04:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We're in Slot 3.

This is what I get after completing the Turn:

Mobhack January 13th, 2021 05:17 AM

we do create a .new file

no idea what that is for - will debug that this week

seems to have been there since SSI days

DRG January 13th, 2021 07:42 AM

I have never seen a .new extension in the files and I don't have any in my computer now and I just ran a secure hotseat PBEM on my computer with BOTH games and there was no ".new" created.

There is code in both games that shows .new but it is related to Tournament games.

I can see that it is there from your screenshot but WHY it seems to be affecting your turn is a mystery.........along with why it's suddenly showing up now when we have not touched that code is years

Mobhack January 13th, 2021 09:39 AM

This file is a temporary file that only exists for a few seconds, if that, and is instantly deleted.

It has never been seen here lying about, and I have just run a quick pbem test campaign to check it - the code is always going into the delete call and returning a success code.

My guess is that perhaps your anti-virus has opened the new (to it) file to have an investigate, and so it is locked when the game gives the delete command, so that fails. The game does not loop on the success code being failure - it could make an infinite loop if it did so.

It will be something like that, at least, and is a problem with your PC.

If you see a ".new" file then just delete it. It is not for end-user use and it should not appear, unless you have some 3rd party software like an anti-virus that is causing unexpected behaviour.

JohnHale January 17th, 2021 11:05 AM

Obliged, chaps. I'll uninstall the game and re-load the CD again to see if it works.

JohnHale January 27th, 2021 07:56 AM

Did an uninstall and re-loaded the CD & Patches. 15 Turns in, and no problems.

DRG January 27th, 2021 11:39 AM

Good news. I have removed the "Bug" prefix as there is no "Bug"