.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Scenario: How to design unit dismount in AI (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=48450)

shahadi February 26th, 2012 11:34 AM

How to design unit dismount in AI

How may I instruct the AI to dismount or mount a unit from a vehicle? Let's say, we have a scout team riding in a vehicle, at a waypoint, I want the scouts to dismount, or have the team mount up?

Mobhack February 26th, 2012 11:37 AM

Re: How to design unit dismount in AI

The AI decides when it mounts and dismounts, not you. Waypoints do not have orders.

Andy

Imp February 27th, 2012 05:19 AM

Apart from the AI dismounting under fire it does seem to dismount once it starts to get in small arms fire range of victory hexes. Sometimes quite sensibly such as if its path takes it to a row of woods hexes 8 or so hexes distant from the victory hex it could well unload behind them before moving through the tree line.
However setting this up is as much luck as anything & you cant quarantee it as there is I think a degree of randomness to the AI so it will not always do the same thing.

shahadi February 29th, 2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imp (Post 796898)
Apart from the AI dismounting under fire it does seem to dismount once it starts to get in small arms fire range of victory hexes. Sometimes quite sensibly such as if its path takes it to a row of woods hexes 8 or so hexes distant from the victory hex it could well unload behind them before moving through the tree line.
However setting this up is as much luck as anything & you cant quarantee it as there is I think a degree of randomness to the AI so it will not always do the same thing.

I'll play around with a few test scenarios. First off, I think I'll play with waypoints for a mounted vehicle, then try to waypoint the unit riding. Got me to thinking, thanks!

Imp February 29th, 2012 10:16 PM

It can be worth spliting the passengers from the vehicles, i.e. buy a Mech Company & delete the infantry, then buy the infantry as a seperate company. That way you can give the infantry if dismounted seperate waypoints to the vehicles.
This way you can send the infantry out on foot & control the vehicles seperatly though do note its very hard to get vehicles to follow infantry on foot if they get close enough they do tend to pick up passengers.
If you dont want this the simpliest work around is to adjust the carry capacity or load cost so it cant pick them up.

shahadi March 1st, 2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imp (Post 797251)
It can be worth spliting the passengers from the vehicles, i.e. buy a Mech Company & delete the infantry, then buy the infantry as a seperate company. That way you can give the infantry if dismounted seperate waypoints to the vehicles.
This way you can send the infantry out on foot & control the vehicles seperatly though do note its very hard to get vehicles to follow infantry on foot if they get close enough they do tend to pick up passengers.
If you dont want this the simpliest work around is to adjust the carry capacity or load cost so it cant pick them up.

Yes, I was thinking of a similar scenario. Thanks again for the tips as you can't find these in a book.