.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Pathos, The Son of Titans (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45889)

endomorphious July 6th, 2010 01:47 PM

Pathos, The Son of Titans

I've received this hero a few times while playing SP vanilla as Arco (inspired after reading the Arco guides); but frankly, I haven't the faintest idea of what to do with him. I've gotten fairly early (turn 4) this time and I'd like to have some suggestion on using him more effectively as more than just packmaster for mass troops. Any suggestions.

Doo July 6th, 2010 04:50 PM

Re: Pathos, The Son of Titans

What a tough call. Without magic items he's not good enough to solo anything and I would assume by turn 4 you have not the research or gems to kit him out as an indy basher.

Your EA Arco? I'd forge a magic weapon that increases defense. Knowing you don't have water (gems) this rules out the wonderful Ice Sword.

I'd stick this guy with the front line infantry fighting indies (probably not the heavy hitting ones, barbarians and horses) and just see what he can do. If he gets some experience out of it then he's a better packmaster in the future. If he dies, easy come easy go...

If its not your strategy to get construction 2 or 4 asap I wouldn't recommend bee-lining them just for this guy.

Verjigorm July 6th, 2010 09:36 PM

Most nations with recruitable thugs have better units than Pathos, but his Awe gives him a tiny edge primarily against independents.

Until you get some way to restore his HP (regeneration/life drain), it would be best to keep him back. He's a great leader. Stick a bow on him or make him your prophet until you get something that makes him melee-friendly.

After melee-friendliness, the best complement to his ability is obviously the Shield of Gleaming Gold.

If it's EA Arco, an Oriead is a better thug after some research completes.

He can't take provinces by himself reliably even with gear because he only has 16 hp and not-great defense, but he's a free leader and better than an indie commander.

RadicalTurnip July 7th, 2010 09:03 AM

If you got him some good defense, the shield of gleaming gold and a horror helmet would be great additions, once you get them, also, so defense and protection guys. This will will never be an SC, or even a really good thug, but those items would probably allow you to have a great front-line for indy-stomping.

Rookierookie July 7th, 2010 10:49 AM

Give him some Fear and it could work a little better.

chrispedersen July 7th, 2010 02:16 PM

Forget all that. You have better thugs. Use him as you're using him - a leader to ferry troops.

Doo July 7th, 2010 05:15 PM

Make him your prophet. Hope your dominion is high and the blesses fantastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrispedersen (Post 751175)
Forget all that. You have better thugs. Use him as you're using him - a leader to ferry troops.

I agree with this, but if your playing SP and want to have some fun with Pathos the Pansy do so :)

RadicalTurnip July 8th, 2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doo (Post 751201)
Make him your prophet. Hope your dominion is high and the blesses fantastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrispedersen (Post 751175)

I agree with this, but if your playing SP and want to have some fun with Pathos the Pansy do so :)

Thirded

endomorphious July 8th, 2010 11:28 AM

Thanks folks. He bit the dust attacking what I thought would be an easy indie as the commander of a small troup of cardaces and peltasts. I do like the shield of gleaming gold and horror helmet combo. Is that in general a good combo for thugs? Really would love to see one of the more prolific authors on here write a tactical/info guide on what makes and a thug and how to use them. Definetly, a weak and neglected part of the game for me.

thejeff July 8th, 2010 11:49 AM

Baalz wrote one, which for some reason didn't wind up in the Strategy Guide page.
Zen and the Art of Thuggery