.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   STM "Final v1.7.5" Discussion (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=9755)

Renegade 13 July 24th, 2004 07:28 AM

Re: STM "Final v1.7.5" Discussion

Quote:

Originally posted by Atrocities:
Have any of you been playing the mod lately?
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">I'm playing a game right now, using the Star Trek Map, Different Sized Homeworlds. I'm playing the Dominion, and thus far haven't come across any bugs that I've noticed. As of turn 90 the standings are:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Standing: Score: Ships: Planets:
1. Borg 7.7M 1538 514
2. Federation 2.9M 813 169
3. Cardassian 1.9M 235 133
4. Klingons 1.6M 288 98
5. Ferengi 1.6M 371 91
6. Romulans 1.6M 325 97
7. Dominion (ME) 1.5M 101 125
8. 8472 1.5M 150 135
9. Breen 1.3M 149 116
10. Tholians .99M 121 76
11. Orions .79M 93 100</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">(Sorry for how messy the list is, I can't figure out how to organize it into columns http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon9.gif )

As you can tell, I've concentrated more on infrastructure and colonizing more than military. I have plenty of resources, and a strong defensive position. Also, I don't really try too hard in my single player games, so that mostly accounts for why I'm so low in the standings. The AI has Medium bonus, and high difficulty.

[ July 27, 2004, 03:52: Message edited by: Renegade 13 ]

Renegade 13 July 26th, 2004 06:22 AM

Is there any way to speed up turn processing during a game?? My current game on turn 100 using the Star Trek Map, with 10 AI's is taking roughly 10 to 15 minutes per turn just to process the AI's turns! I've turned off fighters, mines, and shuttles since I've heard this will speed up processing time, but its getting ridiculous.

Are there any suggestions for speeding it up, mid way through a game, since I'd really like to continue this one. Although it may not be possible to speed up, due to the fact that the Borg alone have over 2000 ships currently (no one else is above 1000 though). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[ July 26, 2004, 05:23: Message edited by: Renegade 13 ]

Atrocities July 26th, 2004 07:02 AM

Really there is no way after the game has started.

During game set up turn off Mines, Shuttles and fighters. This speeds the turns along nicely.

Paul1980au July 26th, 2004 08:06 AM

Upgrade youre computer system esp processor and memory requirements.

Fyron July 26th, 2004 06:26 PM

Quote:

(Sorry for how messy the list is, I can't figure out how to organize it into columns [Frown] )
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Use the CODE tags. ex:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">col 1 col 2
blah blah
blah blah
blah blah
blah blah</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">

Atrocities July 27th, 2004 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Paul1980au:
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">This would have no effect on the game. I am running it on a top of the line AMD XP system and it still runs the turns only as fast as my AMD 1.4 three year old system.

narf poit chez BOOM July 28th, 2004 10:25 AM

/me remembers when /me's 333mhz was near the top of the line.

Somewhere back there in hazy memory is a 8mhz IBM that was considered fast. And our vic 20 was top of the line when my dad bought it. He even managed to double the memory and add a reset button. Cutting edge, that computer was. It may even have been cutting edge when I first started playing with it, but I can't really remember when my first memory's of it are from.

I just had fun playing with the VICE emulator.

2: PRINT "HELLO WORLD"
RUN
HELLO WORLD

For some reason, that seemed amazingly satisfying.

[ July 28, 2004, 09:41: Message edited by: narf poit chez BOOM ]

David E. Gervais July 28th, 2004 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by narf poit chez BOOM:
2: PRINT "HELLO WORLD"
RUN
HELLO WORLD

For some reason, that seemed amazingly satisfying.

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">..Warning,.. Thread Hijack!..

Narf that was a good example of bad programming.. Try this,..

10 REM This is my first program
20 STR$ = "Hello World"
30 REM I just set the value of the string I want to print to the screen
40 COLOR 255, 0, 0; SETCOLOR 255, 255, 255
50 REM I just set the Screen color to RED and Text to White
60 CLEAR SCREEN
70 REM I got rid of all the junk on my screen
80 POSITION ((SCR_WIDTH / 2) - (LEN STR$ / 2)), (SCR_HEIGHT /2)
90 REM I centered the text cursor
100 PRINT STR$

RUN
>

..What? where did my text go? I saw it flash for a nanosecond but it dissapeared.. I'll have to debug,..

10 REM This is my second attempt at a program
20 STR$ = "Hello World"
30 REM I just set the value of the string I want to print to the screen
40 COLOR 255, 0, 0; SETCOLOR 255, 255, 255
50 REM I just set the Screen color to RED and Text to White
60 CLEAR SCREEN
70 REM I got rid of all the junk on my screen
80 POSITION ((SCR_WIDTH / 2) - (LEN STR$ / 2)), (SCR_HEIGHT /2)
90 REM I centered the text cursor
100 PRINT STR$
105 DO WHILE INKEY$ = ""
110 REM See this looks much better right?

RUN
<center><font color = RED>Hello World!</font></center>

(Now press any key to get back to the regular topic of this thread. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/tongue.gif )

NOTE: (Program output is 'simulated' Actual output would have a red screen with white text.)

Cheers! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Atrocities July 29th, 2004 05:40 AM

Andorian and Vulcan Races

This is a self extracting program. Simply direct it to extract - install - in your base Space Empires IV folder. If it does not ask to over right then you may have installed it into the wrong location.

It will add the EMP files for both the Andorians and the Vulcans to the EMPIRES folder of the Star Trek Mod as well as add the two new race folders to the race folder in the Star Trek Mod.

Once install all you have to do is start a new game and choose EXISTING race, and pick Andorian.

You can of course tweak the EMP to your desire.

gregebowman July 29th, 2004 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Atrocities:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by Paul1980au:

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">This would have no effect on the game. I am running it on a top of the line AMD XP system and it still runs the turns only as fast as my AMD 1.4 three year old system. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">That's strange. It only takes about a minute or two to process my turns. I play single player, and keep to the default settings. Maybe it's because I usually don't get to meet all of the other races before I either get bored or a new mod comes out and I try that one. But I don't ever recall a 10 minute wait on going through turns, either with my old computer or my new one. Interesting