.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Apache helicopter countermeasure (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=52498)

Roman August 7th, 2020 06:45 PM

Apache helicopter countermeasure

Hello!! What would be the best countermeasure against Apache? Playing with Russia. I will appreciate the answer

Mobhack August 7th, 2020 07:57 PM

Re: Apache helicopter countermeasure

Get the best AAA gun you can get - ie best EW rating. Depending on period, shika or tungaska. Guns fire several times in a turn, so more opportunities once he is in range.

Same goes for any SAM you buy - get the one with the best EW rating to balance out the Apache's EW.

And of course, if you have attack helos of your own in your core, you can always chase him down with these, firing guns at close range. Especially if he is low in AAA assets, himself so your helos do not get chased with AA as they run after the Apaches.

If you have fixed wing air strikes, then plot these where his choppers are hanging out, one may well decide to take a pop at a helo.

If he likes to sit up in the sky motionless in the hover, your tanks can disabuse him of that notion with an APDS round into his face.

Roman August 7th, 2020 09:02 PM

Thanks Mobhack!!

Suhiir August 7th, 2020 09:51 PM

There's also something to be said for hordes of MPADs.
4-6 MPADs will make an Apachie think twice about entering their area. Just keep them supplied with missiles.

They may not shoot it down, but they'll keep it at bay.
Just deploy them as a screen (along with infantry) ahead of your armor.

Roman August 7th, 2020 10:34 PM

Thanks Suhiir!!

Mobhack August 8th, 2020 12:05 PM

Oh - forgot another attack vector if your opponent likes to hover. ATGM from land or helo platforms can engage stationary helos as well so if you have LOS to a hovering helo with one of those platforms, give that a go, and for Russian tube launched gun/missiles - try turning the gun off so the missile in slot 2 fires. ATGM do not care what EW the helo target carries, though the chopper can evade them like tanks do.

Overall though, if the helo is caught in the hover you are probably best using solid shot from an MBT with good FC and laser R/F. No dodge, no EW defence, and if the helo does not evade on a first missed shot, open to another shot.

Bottom line is that helos sitting in the hover are quite vulnerable.

Suhiir August 8th, 2020 02:59 PM

Yeah .. catch em in a hover and they're an EZ kill for ATGMs (if they hit)

Felix Nephthys August 9th, 2020 02:25 AM

I'm reminded of the scene in Red Dawn where the Russian chopper takes a hit from an RPG. Just out of curiosity since my mind is drawing a blank here tonight, is this same thing possible in game? Many's the time I've caught hell from infantry on the ground because of moving one of my choppers inadvertently into range of their weapons but I don't remember whether or not I had an RPG fired at me.

UPDATE: I tried it out and it's no-go using the RPG against helicopters, now I know. Always best then to keep an Inf-SAM tucked away for those special moments.

Roman August 9th, 2020 11:05 AM

In one game I bought an s400 but it didn't kill the Apache. He spent the 4 rounds and then I ran out of ammunition to face about f 35. Is there a way to use filters so that the s400 do not attack helicopters but airplanes? Although I think the optimal thing would be for the s400 to have extra ammunition because they can also take fire from helicopters ...

Mobhack August 9th, 2020 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman (Post 848214)
In one game I bought an s400 but it didn't kill the Apache. He spent the 4 rounds and then I ran out of ammunition to face about f 35. Is there a way to use filters so that the s400 do not attack helicopters but airplanes? Although I think the optimal thing would be for the s400 to have extra ammunition because they can also take fire from helicopters ...

Park an ammo truck by it, then it will have resupply.