.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps and Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Scenario: recruit THEIR nationals (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41506)

Gandalf Parker December 7th, 2008 07:19 PM

recruit THEIR nationals

Sorry to keep adding undone projects for discussion.
Im reworking my old project files to add them to the new lists on Dom3minionsc.com
http://www.dom3minions.com
and as usual there are far more undone ones than done ones. I could just keep listing the projects but I really dont care if someone else wants to do them before I do.

So if someone is looking for a mod idea to learn modding on, here is one that handles a common complaint. "I have taken their castle, why cant I recruit the same units they do?"

A map can be created which places each nation specifically in a province and wipes out the poptype. Then if someone wants to create a mod which (painstakingly) duplicates everyones capital magic sites to new ID numbers then those could be placed instead of the games version. That would allow a (probably quite cutthroat) game where taking their castle not only gives you their gem income but their capital-only units.

I cant think of an easy way to do the same with their non-capital nationals. Maybe each nations sites could be reworked in a way as to provide those also.

It might also be worthwhile to do this in 3 stages. Make each era available as you work on it, and then paste them together into one big one (if that wouldnt be too big)

Gandalf Parker December 7th, 2008 07:21 PM

Re: recruit THEIR nationals

Come to think of it...
it would need to be new ID numbers and slightly new names since I cant seem to get the modding command for startsite to work with numbers.

HoneyBadger December 7th, 2008 07:23 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing just 1 or 2 units per Nation, to follow Sauromatia's hydra hatchling example.

Endoperez December 7th, 2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker (Post 658107)
Come to think of it...
it would need to be new ID numbers and slightly new names since I cant seem to get the modding command for startsite to work with numbers.

You could just change the actual starting sites.

I'm doing this from memory, but it should work:

#selectsite "Tower of Avalon"
#clear
#gems 1 2 (2 air gems)
#com "Daughter of Avalon"
#com "Crone of Avalon"
#end

Note that I used #com instead of #homecom. Also, conquering Mictlan would make any nation a powerhouse.

There are poptypes that almost match many nations' units. Garnet Amazons, knights, lizard shamans, heavy infantry/crossbows, various animal tribes, etc. That should also help a bit.

Aezeal December 7th, 2008 08:21 PM

I was just thinking that indeed just altering the site could do that. And with a few sites you could probably cover most important units and leaders of a nation. If needed you'd only need to create an otherwise empty site for nations with few sites.

Tifone December 8th, 2008 01:41 PM

Time ago was thinking bout a mod enabling to recruit "hybrids" between your nation and the one you conquer (and vice versa :D ). But it would require skillz and time I don't have :(

Loren December 8th, 2008 04:08 PM

My inclination would be to give them all the troops, not just the capital-only ones. They would only be in the capital, however.

Interesting would also to allow the casting of the national summons but I don't see how that could be done.

Aezeal December 8th, 2008 04:21 PM

Tifone: that would be impossible really. Loren what you propose is actually what the OP and I and probably others (not reading back to check) propose too :D

Gandalf Parker December 8th, 2008 05:01 PM

Im not sure how taking a castle would give access to the national summons. I mean in game logic.

The prolem with giving them ALL of the units is that it would have to be done thru the magic sites.
A) Im not sure if everything we want done can be done in just 4 sites
B) it would clutter up my recruit screen while I still own my castle because all of the non-national units would show up twice.

Sombre December 9th, 2008 11:51 AM

Except #com doesn't work.