.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps and Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   stronger independents (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47077)

Makinus February 21st, 2011 03:39 PM

stronger independents

If i add an autospawn ability to a independent commander (i.e. barbarian chief) would the independents get stronger with time or autospawn abilities do not have any effect on independents?

Edi February 21st, 2011 04:53 PM

Re: stronger independents

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makinus (Post 771559)
If i add an autospawn ability to a independent commander (i.e. barbarian chief) would the independents get stronger with time or autospawn abilities do not have any effect on independents?

Yes, they would most definitely get stronger with time. This also becomes a problem if you can recruit these commanders, since fo the purchase price of a commander, you will get an automatic troop generator that will give you troops with no initial cost in either gold or resources and only upkeep costs. If the spawn have a gold cost above 0, upkeep is 1/15 of the unit's purchase cost, or 1/30 if sacred.

This would quite quickly become a runaway escalation problem.

thejeff February 21st, 2011 05:11 PM

It could work if you used something like one of the Better Independents mods to make the commanders unaffordable.

Makinus February 21st, 2011 07:21 PM

what exactly defines the independent commander that shows up? maybe i can create a copy of the commander with the autospawn and another to be recruitable, without autospawn...

Edi February 22nd, 2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makinus (Post 771572)
what exactly defines the independent commander that shows up? maybe i can create a copy of the commander with the autospawn and another to be recruitable, without autospawn...

Poptype determines the commanders that appear. Poptypes are also not moddable, so you don't have the tools that would be needed.

Soyweiser February 22nd, 2011 07:55 AM

But you can change the types of indies in a prov right? At least that is what the RanDom progam does. So you could then have a new type of barbarian who spawns barbs (Lets call him the barbarian king). And add that to the province.

So, the defense of the province is the barbarian king, and you can only recruit barbarian chiefs there.

You still have to problem that you can enslave the barb king, but that can perhaps be solved by giving it a battleshape into a barbarian chief (with no way of turning back). This could also be used to improve the AI.

Edi February 23rd, 2011 04:47 AM

You can add stuff to a map with RanDom, but it cannot actually modify the poptypes. It just adds extra defenders.

Unless Ballbarian has found some way to hack the game to allow poptype editing.

One must always keep in mind the differences of what you can do with mod tools and what you can do with map tools. This is one of the places where confusion can happen.

In this case you would need to both mod the barbarian king and then add it to a map via RanDom. Such a map would be unplayable without the mod.

Makinus February 23rd, 2011 06:39 AM

Just to see if i understood everything correctly todo what i want:

1. I must create a mod where i create the "independent leaders" with autospawn (like the "Barbarian King" suggested) that is equal to the poptype leader except with autospawn.

2. Then i must use map commands to define the poptype of the province and to add the corresponding "independent leader" to said province.

So, in a 500 province random generated map i would need to assing poptype and leaders to the 500 provinces right?

Is there any list of poptypes somewhere?

Stavis_L February 23rd, 2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makinus (Post 771696)
Just to see if i understood everything correctly todo what i want:

1. I must create a mod where i create the "independent leaders" with autospawn (like the "Barbarian King" suggested) that is equal to the poptype leader except with autospawn.

2. Then i must use map commands to define the poptype of the province and to add the corresponding "independent leader" to said province.

Correct.

Quote:

So, in a 500 province random generated map i would need to assing poptype and leaders to the 500 provinces right?
If you want all 500 provinces to have defenders that autospawn troops, then yes. Note that if you did so, starvation would be a serious problem for the more remote provinces by the time you finally reached them, unless you also increase the supplies available by e.g. giving the commanders bags of wine.

Quote:

Is there any list of poptypes somewhere?
Check the Dom3Db linked from Edi's .sig above. It's a spreadsheet with all kinds of useful Dom3 modding info, including a tab devoted to poptypes.

Soyweiser February 23rd, 2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Note that if you did so, starvation would be a serious problem for the more remote provinces by the time you finally reached them, unless you also increase the supplies available by e.g. giving the commanders bags of wine.
You could also just make the troops spawned need not eat, or make them give bonus supply to solve this. Not totally elegant, but it works.